SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 10-04-2020, 03:40 AM   #6641
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSaturn247 View Post
I'm due for an oil change soon. Today I decided to experiment. I pulled the PCV out of the valve cover and put a funnel in the hole and sprayed a few shots of pn 0120 Chemtool. Put the PCV back in the place and drove to a destination. I will do that daily until oil change.
What are you trying to do? I wouldn't think a few shots of anything would do much of anything.
2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 19X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2020, 05:31 PM   #6642
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enoughNWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

^^^ HIgh Energy Solvent Technology

I do not want to put large quantities in all in one shot as I am still driving around with it. Small doses at a time should be fine.
1999 SL2 A4 -92k miles
Currently sipping Valvoline NextGen HM 10w-30

TCW3 dosed fuel

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:58 PM   #6643
laser3kw
laser3kw will become famous soon enoughlaser3kw will become famous soon enough

2000 SC1

Removed the throttle body, cleaned and replaced the TPS with a genuine GM 21024706. While I had the space, I removed the ground wires (front and back) on the engine and sanded to remove corrosion. Reinstalled and finished with grease to protect from future corrosion.
Next on list is to remove and clean coils and ICM. First a trip to LKQ and hunt for a nice set of replacements.
laser3kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:00 AM   #6644
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enoughNWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Sprayed more Chemtool B-12 in the PCV port and then drove the car. Cleaning out system, each application a small amount drips into the system, most of the product burns off as the engine reaches operating temperature. Oil change soon which may include a piston soak. Next OCI will be very short to flush out residual chemicals. Maybe use a jug of Maxlife 10w-30.
Then change to Mobil 1 5w-30 for the Winter.

Will change valve cover gasket in the near future and will see the carnage of the underside of the valve cover so you all can say you told me so and I will be another cautionary tale

Seriously, right now the engine is running tip top ship shape.

When I do the valve cover I will be replacing the PCV valve grommet as I am sure the Chemtool is seriously abusing it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201005_205615.jpg (92.3 KB, 9 views)
1999 SL2 A4 -92k miles

TCW3 dosed fuel

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

Last edited by NWSaturn247; 10-06-2020 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:12 PM   #6645
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

2 Bucket washed Red Hot & she glows like crazy!
Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:19 PM   #6646
AutoXr
AutoXr is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1

Finally yanked out the ac system and put the new belt on still need to do some paint correction and throw some collinite 476 wax on it plus a ton of other stuff
AutoXr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:38 PM   #6647
Zeebins
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Been pretty busy with work lately and I havenít been able to get as much done as Iíve wanted to as a result. I did get some new hubcaps a few weeks ago and have been working on painting them.

The 96-97 hubcap design is probably the most bland of the OE hubcaps in my opinion so Iíve wanted to replace them for a while now. I also wanted something that I could fairly easily two tone paint, and the 93-95 design worked well for that. I used a metallic silver on the face of the hubcap, and a grey metallic on the recessed areas. A clear coat went over the whole thing to try and help with durability. After drying for a few days I gave them all a wet sand with 1000 grit, then 1500 grit sand paper. They are now shiny, smooth, and now probably the nicest looking paint on the exterior of the car, lol.

Kinda with I did the recessed areas a little darker, but it is nice to have something different to look at
97 SL2, auto, 121K miles
Zeebins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:17 AM   #6648
StarLady
Advanced Member
StarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really nice

1992 SC

^^^ Nice job, Zeebins!
Wish I could give mine a facelift...
1992 SC - TwinCam (Automagic)
Bought it brand new, and still loving it today.
StarLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:07 PM   #6649
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

The old Highmile got 4 brand new BF Goodrich Advantage T/A's.

I have a set on my Cruze too and really like this tire.

Highmile
'95 SL1 715k and counting
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:15 PM   #6650
cgg17
Advanced Member
cgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nice

1995 SL2
1998 SL2

Finally got my 95 to idle happy with the turbo and cams. Megasquirt sure is nice when it behaves.....
1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 189k
1999 Sl2 4spd: 103k (Sold 2019)
1998 Sl2 5spd: 130k
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:47 PM   #6651
jpags729
jpags729 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Drove my Saturn to pick up a new project car: 07 Subaru Forester with 209k on the dash. Might have a head gasket leak but the oem made in japan radiator is the main issue as its cracked. But now my parents want me to get rid of the Saturn and fix up the Subie we will see what happens
Current:
1999 Saturn SL2 1.9 "Sophia Loren 2"
2007 Subaru Forester LL Bean Edition

Previous:
2008 Honda Accord EX-L 2.4
2007 Chevy Malibu LS 2.2
2003 Nissan Altima SE 3.5
jpags729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:20 PM   #6652
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Put in 4 Oz of MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) in 10 gallons
of gas & drove Red Hot my normal 2 hours a day.

This car in INVINCIBLE I say.............

Owned 4 other S-Series.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:59 AM   #6653
NWSaturn247

1999 SL2

Added 2 ounces Chemtool B12 to each cylinder last night.

Today added 2 ounces Rislone Engine Treatment #100QR to each cylinder.

Got most all the fluid out of the cylinders with Harbor Freight pump, then sopped up more with folded papers. Put the old plugs back in and took a deep breath and started it up after a few cranks. Make sure to press the pedal to the floor or it ain't gonna start.

Drove up on ramps ASAP, lots of chemicals in the oil!

Dumped the oil, leaving the filter in place. Added 3 quarts of Mobil Super and some Rislone and drove to the store.

Tomorrow I am going to change the oil again.

Then, about 250 miles later I will change the oil with Mobil 1. This will be a fresh start with super clean oil.

The soak really cleaned up the piston tops good.
1999 SL2 A4 -92k miles

TCW3 dosed fuel

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

Last edited by NWSaturn247; 10-15-2020 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:05 AM   #6654
NWSaturn247

1999 SL2

Changed the oil again. The oil was pretty dark due to the piston soak residual and flush. Used Valvoline NextGen HM 10w-30 with a NAPA GOLD 1516.

Drove over 200 miles today, nice and smooth running steed

Should I change the oil again tomorrow?

Will use Mobil 1 HM + Fram Tough Guard 3600
1999 SL2 A4 -92k miles

TCW3 dosed fuel

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k
Old 10-18-2020, 11:23 PM   #6655
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

94 SL2 HCE:

Replaced both rear trailing arms because the right one broke in two. I'm amazed at the lack of rust on this 27 year old car!

Replaced both front stabilizer bar bushings at the control arms. The left one was a bit "wobbly" because of age and some hard engagements in reverse. I have new ball joints to do replacements, but the car doesn't need them. So I'll store them for the future.

I recharged the air-conditioning. Topped up the air in all four tires.

While changing parts, I found a loose left rear hub bearing, so that is in the near future, and I'll be doing new pads, rotors, and caliper bracket hardware on the rear at that time.

It's like a new car!

Preston
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:54 AM   #6656
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

94 Saturn SL2 HCE

Today, I replaced the left rear hub bearing. The hub had wallowed around a bit and allowed the rotor to touch the caliper bracket. So, there are a few groves around the rotor's circumference on the outside face. Not bad, and the pad has already worn to match the grooves. So the pad and rotor went back together as is.

Oddly enough, this failed bearing made no noise at all even though the hub moved in-and-out on the spindle about a 1/2 inch. I didn't even know it was bad until I put the car up yesterday to do the trailing arm replacement and moved the tire and felt the slop in it.

THE BACK-STORY:

Nearly 3 years ago, I replaced both rear hub bearings because I had a serious growl on the interstate at speed. After the replacement, I still had the growl. So I replaced the rear tires and the noise stopped. Turned out my noise was from noisy tires that sounded like bearing growl/howl.

SO, I kept the old hub bearings that I pulled off the car at that time.

TODAY, I reinstalled one of the ORIGINAL hub bearings back onto the car that I took off nearly 3 years ago. And guess what. . . . no growl.

So I saved myself that $50 to $$150 that it would have cost to buy a new hub bearing!!!

Between new rear trailing arms and new front sway bar to control arm busings and this replacement bearing, my car rides so smooth, it's like a new car! I even purchased ball joints, but didn't need them, so they're stored with the 2nd hub bearing I removed so long ago.

JUST SO YOU KNOW: The replacement hub bearings I bought nearly 3 years ago are "Detroit Axle" brand bearings (purchased on Amazon). I found out this evening that they have a 10 year warranty, so we'll find out how they stand behind their warranty, and what they'll do about the one that has failed and it's "ruin" of the rotor and pads. I'll keep you informed!

BTW: my ABS light had come on recently, so I was expecting an axle shaft issue, but when I replace that hub bearing, my light went out and the ABS is back to working again. So, I'm betting the light came on when the hub bearing began to fail.

Preston

Last edited by PrestonIII; 10-20-2020 at 12:59 AM.
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:15 PM   #6657
Pitcher
Master Member

1998 SC2

I put a 5-Year Ceramic Coating on the front clip, including the newer headlights, side marker lights, and the black badge on my 98 Red Hot😊

Polished, decontaminated & Isopropyl/Distilled Water mix, then applied.

(Iím a pro Detailer)

Owned 4 other S-Series.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:39 PM   #6658
Zeebins
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Just a standard oil and filter change today. Mobile 1 Seems to have changed their oil slightly since the last time I bought a 5 quart bottle in March. Itís Advanced High mileage now as opposed to just High mileage. Probably more or less the same though.

I save old Saturn packaging as a little memento, but I have so many of these oil filters I think I can make an exception. Ripping the bottom flaps apart showed the year it was manufactured, and the part numbers for the red and black ink. Never expected to be a specific part number for something as simple as ink.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E7063128-F010-4650-AF54-DF07449EA9EB.jpg (77.1 KB, 16 views)
97 SL2, auto, 121K miles
Zeebins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:28 PM   #6659
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Well not today, but in the last week I've replaced it.

The '95 was driven away from the dealers new. We used it for various tasks over the years, even when we had other cars and/or company cars.

A few years back I found some clutch slip going up a long reasonably steep section of highway. Almost 4 years ago now. But I've milked that clutch for that time, knowing it was on the way out. And I had decided several years ago I wasn't going to put any money into the car others than maintenance and such.

With time being valuable to me these days, I just don't feel like doing the clutch. I might find a neighbor to toss one in it to move the car to someone else. Of maybe just get rid of it as is.

But I don't regret the car for a second. We got more than our moneys worth out of it, and it will be sad to see it go.
Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #6660
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
With time being valuable to me these days, I just don't feel like doing the clutch. I might find a neighbor to toss one in it to move the car to someone else. Of maybe just get rid of it as is.

But I don't regret the car for a second. We got more than our moneys worth out of it, and it will be sad to see it go.
yeah, I know the feeling

Love the car still, but having a lot of "just dont feel like being under the car to fix it" these days.

We purchased a 2017 Hyundai Elantra and drove it home from CA. Auto trans and a buttload of airbags (knee, curtain, etc). Lowest mpg of the trip, 38mpg and that included 2 hrs of stop and go on the I-5. Rest of the trip was low to mid 40mpg, AC on, and it has more HP/torque. The wife commandeered it so I will still be driving the Saturn, but if the Saturn dies, the Elantra will take on dd duty. Will be junking my '97 SC2 to make space in the drive.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote