SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Old 10-28-2020, 04:36 PM   #1
tomlct
tomlct is just really nicetomlct is just really nicetomlct is just really nicetomlct is just really nicetomlct is just really nice

Default Location of washer pump for rear window - LW

The washer fluid has been squirting weak, lately, at the rear window of my 2003 LW200. I was looking around there today for the location of the hose and pump. I removed a bunch of trim panels on and around the inside of the tailgate and pulled the rear area of the headliner down. I see what looks like a washer feed tube going into the tailgate on the passenger side. It looks like that hose goes across the back of the car above the headliner, but then I can't tell. Does someone know where the pump for the rear window on the wagon models is located?
tomlct is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2020, 05:08 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Location of washer pump for rear window - LW

I'm referring to my '02-'03 L-series service manuals showing the rear washer pump is in the front driver's side wheel well near the bumper. You'll have to remove the wheel well splash shield for access to the front/rear washer pumps. Drawings seems to show two pumps, one vertical for front and one horizontal for rear. Both are mounted to the washer container.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:25 PM   #3
tomlct
tomlct is just really nicetomlct is just really nicetomlct is just really nicetomlct is just really nicetomlct is just really nice

Thank you. That would explain why I saw a hose for the fluid, but no pump, back there. I will first try to drive up on ramps and see what's visible and might be accessible. Maybe the pump could be replaced while the reservoir stays mounted - we will see, and I will post an update when I have more info.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #4
tomlct

And in case anyone needs to know about the rear wiper motor, while I was looking in all the wrong places for the rear washer assembly, I saw the rear wiper motor, which is inside the tailgate. The fact that it is made in England makes me think that this is 1 of the pieces that the LW shares with the Vectra. Several years ago, I had to replace the front wiper transmission assembly. I found a GM piece, and that was made in the UK (and is still in the car and still works OK), so I guess that's another part it shares with the Vectra. So some day, if these are not available to us here, we might be able to buy them from Europe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear Wiper Motor reoriented.jpg (115.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #5
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The L series is based on the Opel Vectra B which was made in Germany. It has a rebadged cousin sold under the Vauxhall name in the UK. Also known as the Vectra. Another cousin of the Vectra B is the Saab 9-5 and to an extent the Saab 9-3 which shares the brake system and some suspension bits.

The Vectra was always a staple of the business fleet market in the UK and Europe. It was inexpensive, it was nice looking, it was comfortable and speedy and to the Fleet Managers it made good financial sense. Because of that, the secondhand market there has always been strong and the aftermarket industry is there to supply aftermarket parts.

In the US, the L series was never a big seller and there weren't any other GM models (to my knowledge) that were sold in the US that were Vectra B based. Because of those factors and with Saturn a distant memory, parts supply here can be difficult. BUT you can always see what Europe can offer. You always need to use the Search criteria of Vectra B. The B is the most important part.

So if you do go to Europe as a search and it's a parts supplier in say Poland, don't worry.
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:22 PM   #6
tomlct

I definitely have had to buy parts from Europe. One time, the e-brake short cables that go into the rear drums came from Lithuania - I had bought them from an EBay seller in Germany. Anyway, the rear washer is squirting now. I did not have to remove the front tire. I just raised the front a few inches and turned the wheel to the right, and popped off enough of the fender liner retainers to peel the fender liner back partially, and then I was able to get to the pump from the ground up. The new pump did not fix the problem, but since it was not expensive, and was available, I did not feel too bad. I took a portable 12-volt powered air pump (like you use to add air to the tires) and ran it through the rear washer hose, at the pump connection point. The pressure rose to almost 20 PSI, and did not want to drop, so something was stuck and did not want to blow out. I tried a vacuum pump on it a few times, alternating between vacuum and the air pump. Then I took a small reaming wire to the inside of the nozzle, above the tailgate window (which I use to clean out carb jets on small engines), and that reamed it open. But it was squirting almost straight out behind the car. So I took a metal pick and re-pointed the nozzle jet back down toward the window. The pump is what I would call elegantly simple in its installation. It just presses into the reservoir, and there is 1 power connector and the 2 hoses, to front and rear. It's an easy task, once you can get access to it. If the car was on a lift, maybe you would not even need to screw around with the fender liner. So now it works, and it's a new pump (on my 18 year old car).
Old 11-02-2020, 05:22 PM   #7
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlct View Post
I definitely have had to buy parts from Europe. One time, the e-brake short cables that go into the rear drums came from Lithuania - I had bought them from an EBay seller in Germany. Anyway, the rear washer is squirting now. I did not have to remove the front tire. I just raised the front a few inches and turned the wheel to the right, and popped off enough of the fender liner retainers to peel the fender liner back partially, and then I was able to get to the pump from the ground up. The new pump did not fix the problem, but since it was not expensive, and was available, I did not feel too bad. I took a portable 12-volt powered air pump (like you use to add air to the tires) and ran it through the rear washer hose, at the pump connection point. The pressure rose to almost 20 PSI, and did not want to drop, so something was stuck and did not want to blow out. I tried a vacuum pump on it a few times, alternating between vacuum and the air pump. Then I took a small reaming wire to the inside of the nozzle, above the tailgate window (which I use to clean out carb jets on small engines), and that reamed it open. But it was squirting almost straight out behind the car. So I took a metal pick and re-pointed the nozzle jet back down toward the window. The pump is what I would call elegantly simple in its installation. It just presses into the reservoir, and there is 1 power connector and the 2 hoses, to front and rear. It's an easy task, once you can get access to it. If the car was on a lift, maybe you would not even need to screw around with the fender liner. So now it works, and it's a new pump (on my 18 year old car).
New washer pump on an 18 yr old car. you've just doubled its' resale value!! LOL
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:57 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Thanks for the update with unblocking a clogged rear washer nozzle. It's unfortunate finding out it wasn't the pump. This may help others in a similar predicament to check lines and blocked nozzle(s) before replacing a pump.

I had a Mercury Sable wagon (3.0L V6) once, bought used with a non operating rear wiper. Upon removal and tear down, I discovered it was made by Bosch and needed little more than a nudge with power to get it back to working condition. No cleaning or re-greasing needed. It worked perfectly thru the years along with the rear washer. I think most front/rear wipers and washer pumps lasts the life of most vehicles, depending on the region.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:02 AM   #9
lrbraner
lrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Was under my 03 LW300 this weekend. On mine there is only one pump. The line has a "T" in it. one goes to the front, the other to the back. The pump is accessible from underneath the car.
2002 L300 Sedan
2003 LW300 Wagon
2005 L300 Sedan
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:41 PM   #10
tomlct

Yes, 1 pump for front & rear of the car. If you ever do need to replace it, at least it's an easy remove/install, once you can get your hands on it. I also have an old K car wagon (88 Aries). That one has a separate reservoir and pump in the rear. I sort of like that better - at least there is not a washer fluid hose up above the headliner, that maybe could leak some day, if you keep your cars forever (like I tend to do).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wagon washer pump.jpg (10.4 KB, 5 views)