SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 10-28-2020, 12:04 PM   #1
Rj 2000 LS2
Rj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Battery went dead because I waited too long to fix brakes

FYI We have other vehicles to drive.

I had been starting the engine and running it every few days/weeks, but the Polar Vortex has now killed the battery. I knew it would happen, repair season isn't over yet! Darit!

The brake line that has a leak is the line is the one from the rear passenger side to the drivers side rear tire. It is leaking directly in the center of the vehicle. With the cold and likely snow coming soon... I don't really want to be working under the Saturn.

I am thinking about merely pitching off the rear left brake line as a temporary measure so we can drive the vehicle a minimal amount to allow for snow removal and to charge the battery. I fully understand driving on snow packed road and applying brakes could cause a doughnut situation. But, if we only drive on clean streets and very minimal amount of miles... What do you think? And, what is the best method to seal off the line?
Rj 2000 LS2 is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2020, 02:32 PM   #2
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really nice

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Battery went dead because I waited too long to fix brakes

Probably not the safest thing to do but This is what i would do. Find the leak, cut the line before the leak, Flatten line that goes to brake master cylinder with vice grips then bend the flat part over twice crimping with vice-grip pliers. Take vice grips then clamp them on line. Leave them there until repair is made. I have done that a few times in my younger years and it worked great.
Or go to auto parts store and get compression repair coupling and cut the line out where hole is and put coupling in.
If line is that rusty neither one of these temp fixes will work.
https://www.infowars.com/ The answer to 1984 is 1776. We are not a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic. A Democracy is Two Wolfs and a sheep deciding what is for Lunch!
Dsaturn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:08 PM   #3
Rj 2000 LS2
Rj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I removed the battery and it is 5 years old. If I could find the receipt, I would return it, but I'm sure they won't warranty it for 100 percent. They might knock off a few bucks. The battery prices have increase 50 to 60 percent... so no warranty would help.

I popped the "sealed" caps off and two cells were nearly above the water level! All cells were low. No wonder why the battery won't hold a charge. Having saying that, the engine hasn't been run much over the summer as I diagnosed the engine issues and then parked it for brake repairs.

Why does it always take ten steps to finish a one step job !!!
Old 10-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #4
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Most expensive battery that I have purchased have a 3 yr warranty but only warranty for two years and pro-rate the last year warranty on it. I know because one of my battery was 3 year warranty but they covered only 2 and pro-rated the last year.
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:36 PM   #5
Rj 2000 LS2

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yup, that's why I'm not going to bother taking it back to them under and seek a warranty. I can hear it now... pro rated... it has a bit of warranty left... do you want us to install a new battery under warranty?, "Sure", that will be $168.75 thank you for you business.

Nope! Not going to go down that road. I had to buy distilled water, filled the cells and I am slow charging and it is taking a charge.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
Rj 2000 LS2

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The battery is going to survive! The voltage was 10.1 Vdc when taken out of the car. I've been slow charging it and standing voltage (off the charger) is 12.82 Vdc! I only have a one amp charger so I need to decide whether to reinstall and allow the engine/alternator to pump some amps into the battery. Not sure if I should take the battery off oxygen or declare it a covid win! LOL
Old 10-30-2020, 04:39 PM   #7
PaulGraz
Advanced Member
PaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of light

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

When my LW needed a battery a few years ago, I found that Costco had the lowest price (Interstate Batteries) - even lower than Wal Mart. Of course, that assume you already have a Costco membership.

That's great if you can save it by charging it - but it's already 5 years old. I doubt you'll get much more out of it.
----
~Paul
2001 LW200 (4th saturn owned) 272K+ Miles!
71 Volvo 1800E, 73 Volvo 1800ES, 08 Volvo C30, 11 Volvo V50
Gone on to other owners: 92 SL2, 95 SW2, 96 SC2
PaulGraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:06 PM   #8
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I purchased my car batteries from Walmart. I've bought their batteries for my Suburban, my two lads Saturns (SL2 & L300) plus a boat I foolishly bought. Apart from the SL2, which we don''t have now, the L300 and my Suburban share the same battery type Everstart Maxx 78 (They are made by Johnson Controls who make Optima batteries). The one we got for the L300 back in 2018 was $104.00. It came with a 5 year Warranty prorated for 5 years and full replacement for 3 years. I have never found Walmart to be picky or penny pinching on dealing with their warranty responsibilities.

If your battery is way long in the tooth at Walmart you will also get a core credit of the old battery against the new one as well. As Graz, said it you've had it as long as you state, then you aint done bad. You guys in the North gives your batteries a hard time in winter. For us in states like Florida, we give our batteries a pounding in summer. Even though right now temps are in the late 80's and AC's both in homes and cars are still cranking!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:02 PM   #9
BrandonKastning
Advanced Member
BrandonKastning will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Battery went dead because I waited too long to fix brakes

RJ,

Read about your battery. I too struggled with battery and chargers. I can testify to this truth:

My original battery that was stock with the car when I was ruling out things with my L300 with all of you.

a) The black and decker battery charger (doesn't charge properly if the voltage is dropped below 10-9volts). I may have been able to save my battery at the time. (It failed). The battery charger costed me $60 on amazon.

b) I purchased a new battery (mistake); didn't know of course the above ^ Truth.

c) When my new battery was drained again; my black and decker failed to charge it. This is when I purchased a VERY affordable battery charger called "NOCO Genius 1". It was $29 and some change. I was skeptical due it's affordable price. When I received it; it's a small little AC plug that plugs into the wall after you plug the prongs on + and -. It comes loaded with 3 settings (depending on your battery type). Once you click the battery type it will automatically start flashing / pulsating RED until it slowly brings it back up to a full charge state (then it flashes / pulsates GREEN). Once this is to 14.4v safely; and I do mean safely (absolutely no overheating at all.) Then it goes "GREEN SOLID" to maintain it. Ever since; it's been sitting at 12.50v ready to roll!

The NOCO Genius 1 can be found here: (I recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to lose a good battery or a battery that you can get more life out of).

My loss; your gain! Best of luck! Stay warm RJ and hope your brake lines get fixed up!

NOCO GENIUS 1 = https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W46BX31

Best Regards,

Brandon!
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
BrandonKastning is offline   Reply With Quote