SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 01-19-2015, 06:39 PM   #1
jaichaud
jaichaud is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
Dizzy IAC cleaned - issues w/ idle now

So I cleaned the MAF sensor and the IAC with the proper cleaners from a local auto parts store. Afterwards, I ran into the infamous '2000 RPM' problem. I unplugged the battery and was able to 'reset' it somewhat. Now it idles at 1500 RPM; since it's a stick I can pop it out of gear.
I have driven it for > 1 month like this, and it is annoying. I have some instructions for various reset methods, but none have really worked. I have warmed the engine, driver > 44 MPH, etc. to no avail. The weather is warmer now in SW Ohio but it does get below freezing at night.
So - do I need to go to a shop to reset the fuel schedules? I find it hard to believe that cleaning would throw it off this badly; during the day I am a controls engineer for gas turbines (think meatball) and am very familiar with this sort of thing.
jaichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: IAC cleaned - issues w/ idle now

What did you actually clean? I ask because your car doesn't have an iac.
2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:36 PM   #3
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
What did you actually clean? I ask because your car doesn't have an iac.
^^ +1

I was thinking the same thing. The 2005-2007 Ions use throttle-by-wire, thus eliminating the need for a separate IAC valve.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 195K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 48K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:47 PM   #4
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

is it the sensor on the intake right after the air box (MAF sensor)?
idk if this affects the 05-07 ions, but the older ions has the tiny sensor on the intake just after the airbox, that if left unplugged or not functioning properly, itll cause the high idles.
03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe) {Wrecked}

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:31 PM   #5
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

That sensor is integrated into the maf sensor.
2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:39 PM   #6
jaichaud

2006 ION-2 Sedan

My apologies - long day at work. I cleaned the throttle body - lots of good, black gunk in it. The car was idling around 500 RPM and would stall especially on colder days. There is good movement on the butterfly. I have tried the 'turn it on and let the butterfly recalibrate' trick to no avail.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #7
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan

there is a procedure for calibration. you can easily find it by searching the forum. I did it for you: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...dy+calibration
jacek_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

jaichaud, some info may help. Total mileage, maintenance done, parts replaced? What's cold idle and warm idle rpm?

One service manual incorrectly shows and describes the iac as the maf sensor. The mass air flow sensor has two components in it, the air flow measuring sensor and intake air temperature sensor - mounted between the air filter and throttle actuator. Your drive by wire throttle is controlled by the ecm with the pedal telling the ecm how far to open or close the throttle plate. As long as you can see the throttle plate move in direct proportion (ignition ON) to someone pressing the pedal (slowly for correlating pedal to throttle plate position), calibrating electronic throttle may not be needed and discussions around throttle calibration may be masking/overlooking the problem(s).
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:20 PM   #9
jaichaud

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Sorry for the delay - family emergency coupled with chaotic work means I have been driving with a high idle since my last post.

The plugs were replace about 10 k miles ago; the ignition module as well as the 'coil' board was replaced about 5 k miles before that. The vehicle has 97 k miles with a recent oil change as well as radiator flush (water pump went bad); the clutch and all its goodies were replaced about 3 years ago by an independent shop. I also changed the timing belt, but that was in October/November and the problem was not occurring then. The high idle came after cleaning the MAF and throttle body due the engine idling ~ 500 RPM and stalling on cold mornings.

From what I see - assuming the tach is calibrated correctly - the idle is about 1550 RPM. If I turn on the fan the RPMs go up about 50, and turning on the rear defroster drops them by 50 RPM. It has not gotten much above 40 deg F around here lately, so I cannot really say much about a speed vs temperature dependence. It does seem to be that it acts like the engine is running on a richer fuel schedule as I am getting about 20 MPG (typically about 28 this time of year for my driving).

If I push in the clutch, sometimes the engine shoots up to 2500 RPM and then takes a bit to get back to 1500 RPM (maybe 10-15 seconds). All the electrical connections are good and tight. It was about 55 deg F when I did the cleaning, and I made sure to let the MAF dry before reinstalling.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:45 PM   #10
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

only thing I can see wrong is the maf sensor itself, or the ecu not communicating with it.
I do know that if I unplug the connector for the MAf sensor, the engine will have the same symptoms that you are having (stays idling at ~1500 rpm).
are you getting any check engine lights?
03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe) {Wrecked}

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:26 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If the Maf sensor isn't connected physically to exclude vacuum leaks between it and the throttle body, any vacuum leak would increase idle rpm. Are clamps secure, preventing air leaks? Air intake tube cracked, allowing air to bypass the Maf sensor?
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:05 PM   #12
jaichaud

2006 ION-2 Sedan

I will check the hoses and plugs tomorrow. There are no lights, and I used a code checker which came back with no errors. I will post the results once I have them.

I thank everyone for their help so far - this has been a PITA.