SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 06-26-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
Cranapple
Cranapple is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default What car would you buy after Astra?

I'm planning to ride my Astra as long as reasonably possible, but I realized that if I lost it in an accident I would have a really hard time choosing a replacement.

After the struggles to identify/find reasonably priced parts, I've been vowing to buy the most common and easily repairable hatchback possible... dreaming of mountains of cheap spare parts at every dealer and junkyard.

It will be hard to give up having something so "special" though. They're Saturns, and they're Opels, and they're Vauxhalls. They look nice, and they drive nice. They're reliable, quality, and unique.

So, have any of you given any thought to what car might be a worthwhile replacement for your Astra?
"2009" 3 Door Manual Astra XR - 140k miles & counting
Cranapple is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2020, 04:34 PM   #2
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: What car would you buy after Astra?

Mazda 3 if I buy another hatchback. Mazda 6 if I decide to get a sedan. I don't like SUVs, when they flip the front part of the passenger cabin is always resting on the headrest. I don't want my head there.
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:42 PM   #3
C152
C152 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2008 Astra XR

Hi all,

Yeah, Cranapple, good question, that's a tough one. Astras are nicely styled and have great handling. A nice plus (and disadvantage) is uniqueness. At the risk of a "get of my lawn" comment, today there really isn't much out there. Too many bloated SUVs/CUVs. My wife gushes over her Buick Encore, c'mon it looks like half a walnut.

Like the General, I do like the Mazda 3. Looking out for a small, nimble, light and well balanced sports car. The only thing I see out there is Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ. It unfairly gets thrown a lot of shade for low power, so it's perpetually on the edge of being discontinued. That means no other manufacturer will offer anything similar. Also, hang on to your third pedal, manual transmissions are becoming extinct. Oh, looked at a Cruze hatch, but the manual was discontinued and so will the car.

What has the world come to?

For now, I'm sticking with my faithful Astras. They came with everything I wanted. Er, maybe a 6-speed would have been nice and if only GM had gone cuckoo for Coco Puffs and brought in the OPC/VXR turbo. Sigh.
Kind Regards,
C152
2008 Saturn 5dr XE (Opelized) Astra
2008 Saturn 3dr XR (to be Opelized)
C152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:53 PM   #4
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Civic hatch. But my dream is the Focus RS. Sad they quit making them.
'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-Thule Roof Rack (and wind fairing)
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:23 PM   #5
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Remember when stereo went away and 5.1 and 7.1 and 11 and 1/2.1 systems became the vogue? Right up there with 3D plasma screens? Well, I stayed stuck on stereo (2.0) and bought all of the MacIntosh and Sony ES stuff from the 90's, because there was a fire-sale of the stuff on EBay in the early 2000's.

I believe something similar is happening with the prices of four door sedans as the focus in the market changes to SUV's and crossovers. I know I already answered this thread with my affinity for Mazda products. But if something happened to my Astra next week, I'd probably do a stop-gap purchase of a big old cream puff, church-lady car; buy a big four door sedan at an estate sale somewhere for $3-4,000 and drive that for a year while I figured out what I really want.

This kind of car will be gone forever in ten years, so I'd like to experience, at least for a year, such a car again. I'm thinking Mercury Marauder, Le Sabre, Riviera, or the right Crown Vic. Hoovie agrees:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lRLmlM8o5Q
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

I didn't necessarily purchase it after my Astras but I'm now driving a 2016 Colorado Z71, which has been my daily driver for the last 4 years with plans of upgrading to a Yukon AT4 in 2 years (because kids can't sit in the back of a pickup). Can't say I won't miss the Astra because it had been an amazing car to me for the 11 years I owned it.
09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:54 PM   #7
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

I thought a Honda Fit might be a suitable alternative. My brother has a Fit Sport that is a lot of fun to drive, handles well, and is good quality. But it is a bit smaller, with little space in the hatch, somewhat uncomfortable seats, and a noiser/rougher general ride compared to the Astra. Maybe the newer ones are a bit more refined or a Civic.

The Ford Focus and Toyota ae86 are awesome.

I have owned some VW GTIs which were fun but mediocre quality so expensive to maintain. But I am unlikely to buy any VW products following their recent global emissions scandal. And the theft of GM's world car, the Opel Corsa (VW got caught stealing the plans both for the car and the entire factory).

I see a lot of posts on mediocre quality of the BMW Mini & Fiat 500. BMW just doesn't have the resources to fully design and test their wide range of cars and SUVs.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:14 PM   #8
Astra08
Astra08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFS View Post
Remember when stereo went away and 5.1 and 7.1 and 11 and 1/2.1 systems became the vogue? Right up there with 3D plasma screens? Well, I stayed stuck on stereo (2.0) and bought all of the MacIntosh and Sony ES stuff from the 90's, because there was a fire-sale of the stuff on EBay in the early 2000's.

I believe something similar is happening with the prices of four door sedans as the focus in the market changes to SUV's and crossovers. I know I already answered this thread with my affinity for Mazda products. But if something happened to my Astra next week, I'd probably do a stop-gap purchase of a big old cream puff, church-lady car; buy a big four door sedan at an estate sale somewhere for $3-4,000 and drive that for a year while I figured out what I really want.

This kind of car will be gone forever in ten years, so I'd like to experience, at least for a year, such a car again. I'm thinking Mercury Marauder, Le Sabre, Riviera, or the right Crown Vic. Hoovie agrees:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lRLmlM8o5Q

I own an '04 Marauder, which I bought in '05.

If you're interested in buying one, you can probably get a decent deal on one now with reasonable mileage.
Astra08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:15 AM   #9
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer will become famous soon enoughmaschinenbauer will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Civic Si
Mazda Miata NC/ND
Toyota 86
Honda Fit
Ford Focus ST
C8 Vette...
'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:54 PM   #10
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by maschinenbauer View Post
Civic Si
Mazda Miata NC/ND
Toyota 86
Honda Fit
Ford Focus ST
C8 Vette...
I hear ya on the C8. I work at a Chevy Dealer and there's been 2 that customers have ordered and they are awesome.

I could see myself driving an ST as well. The dream is a Focus but if my Astra decides to die soon, RS isn't in the budget and the ST is a good alternative.
'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-Thule Roof Rack (and wind fairing)
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:15 AM   #11
AZastraXR
AZastraXR is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

How about an Astra J, the Buick Cascada? It looks like a newer ragtop version of the Astra XR.

I don't have any experience with it myself but it does look interesting.

1.6L turbo, 197hp. I bet it goes pretty good. I like the wheels too.

Discontinued last year. Not a popular car in the US, but newer and a lot more of them out there than the Astra. It is a direct descendant, and as such it is unique!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buick Cascada 1.jpg (144.7 KB, 1 views)
Richard

2008 Astra XR3 Auto, Silver Sand, with those hot 18 inchers.
AZastraXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:49 AM   #12
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

I've given it some thought but I never seem to dig up a consistent answer. I like the layout and utility of a small hatchback so will probably stay with one, but sadly there aren't many choices and some of them (ahem...Corolla iM) are just plain goofy looking.

Whatever I would end up with would just end up with a load of miles given my commute, so as long as the visibility is good and the seats are decent, I probably wouldn't be too picky. And yes, has to be a manual, because cranky old man...

Something like a Sonic hatchback, later model Focus, or even a Golf or base Civic would be the most likely candidates. I (obviously) don't mind orphaned or unloved models/brands, and there's good value to be had.
Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote