SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 07-01-2020, 10:17 PM   #81
rochvids
rochvids is a jewel in the roughrochvids is a jewel in the roughrochvids is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Aura won't crank

I ordered a used computer from ebay that's programmed to the VIN of my car. It is arriving Friday. I can return it within 30 days if needed. I will post back Friday afternoon/early evening.
rochvids is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2020, 09:22 PM   #82
rochvids
rochvids is a jewel in the roughrochvids is a jewel in the roughrochvids is a jewel in the rough

Part did not arrive today. Should be here tomorrow or Monday.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:59 PM   #83
rochvids

ECU arrived and installed, it fired right up!!
It appeared inputs were working fine but there were no outputs from the computer, thatís why the fuel pump relay, spark plugs, etc. were disabled.

Now I just need to unfreeze the pulleys of the alternator and the A/C compressor.

Thank you so much guys!! This car kicked my ass but your guidance was very helpful along the way.

I hope this thread helps others, thank you again!!
Old 07-06-2020, 08:48 PM   #84
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochvids View Post
ECU arrived and installed, it fired right up!!
It appeared inputs were working fine but there were no outputs from the computer, thatís why the fuel pump relay, spark plugs, etc. were disabled.

Now I just need to unfreeze the pulleys of the alternator and the A/C compressor.

Thank you so much guys!! This car kicked my ass but your guidance was very helpful along the way.

I hope this thread helps others, thank you again!!
Awesome news! Who doesn't like a happy ending...
You may be able to get a socket on the alternator pulley holding nut to turn it. I've used a rubber strap wrench to free alternator pulleys before. A chain vise grip might be a good choice if it's really stuck. Probably a good idea to cover the pulley splines with a piece of serpentine belt or rubber. An AC pulley may need to have the AC clutch jumped so it is engaged. Hopefully the compressor is not seized.
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:17 PM   #85
rochvids

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
Awesome news! Who doesn't like a happy ending...
You may be able to get a socket on the alternator pulley holding nut to turn it. I've used a rubber strap wrench to free alternator pulleys before. A chain vise grip might be a good choice if it's really stuck. Probably a good idea to cover the pulley splines with a piece of serpentine belt or rubber. An AC pulley may need to have the AC clutch jumped so it is engaged. Hopefully the compressor is not seized.
Thank you!! It felt so good to hear it running

I tried that and any other way I could think of, but it didn't want to budge. I looked inside and I saw why. Somehow snow or water got in there and everything got rusted up. I went to the salvage yard and picked up an alternator that's in a good shape. As for the a/c compressor, I was able to get it to move, the pulley is turning with some slight force but not spinning freely as I think it should. If I put the belt back on and started the engine, would the rotation help free the bearing?
Old 07-07-2020, 07:59 PM   #86
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochvids View Post
Thank you!! It felt so good to hear it running

I tried that and any other way I could think of, but it didn't want to budge. I looked inside and I saw why. Somehow snow or water got in there and everything got rusted up. I went to the salvage yard and picked up an alternator that's in a good shape. As for the a/c compressor, I was able to get it to move, the pulley is turning with some slight force but not spinning freely as I think it should. If I put the belt back on and started the engine, would the rotation help free the bearing?
When the AC clutch is not engaged the pulley should turn freely. It might free up if you run it with the belt on or it could tear up the belt. Did you try to turn the pulley with the AC clutch relay jumped to see if the compressor can be turned? If the AC compressor is stuck, the belt might be destroyed when the engine is running and computer engages the AC clutch. If the compressor can be turned, I think I would pull the AC clutch relay and start the engine with the belt reinstalled and hope it frees up the pulley. If it does then stop the engine, put the relay back in, start it up and try the AC...while hoping for the best...lol.
Here is a video of an AC compressor tear down, might help to understand what's going on with the clutch mechanism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urFVLKlpf1I
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote