SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 06-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #1
97SL2guy
97SL2guy is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
Dizzy RCA cable length from deck to trunk?

Greetings, Saturn fans!

I'm back, with my newest project: brand new car audio system into my 2006 Saturn Ion 2. I've got 90% of what I need, now it's just down to some cables and hardware. Pretty sure this thing is going to sound like a rolling concert hall, with just the right amount of bass. I'm not looking to boom so loud they can hear me blocks away, nor am I looking to rattle windows. I'm only looking for crystal clear sound with just enough bass to hear and feel. So I went with my very first ever 10" powered sub! I've always had 12's in my cars and always had a separate amp to the subs. But this time I have very little room, so I went with a powered 10" sub.

Anyway, on to my question! Sorry, got off track there!

I already bought a 17 foot 4-channel RCA cable when I had my previous Saturn, the 97 SL2. I was going to put my amp in the trunk, but due to space limitations, I ended up putting the amp under the passenger front seat. Of course the 17 foot RCA was way too long! LOL!

So NOW I'm going to run the amp in the trunk! But I plan to run the RCA cable to the sub amp directly off the 7-band equalizer. My new Nakamichi 4-channel amp does have a pass-through RCA output that I could run the signal to the sub amp, but I want to be able to adjust any subwoofer settings from my head unit and partly from the equalizer instead of from the equalizer or full-range amp. I don't want to have to go back to the amps to make any adjustments once it's all in. I can tweak everything between the head unit and the equalizer below it.

NOW (finally) for my question: how long of RCA cable is the right length in a Saturn Ion to run from the head unit area, back along the door into the trunk to the rear seat back? Would 15 feet be enough? 17 feet? 20 feet? I realize all the tucks and turns will add to what length I need, but I do NOT want to buy an RCA cable that's too short! But then again, I don't want to have to coil up any extra length because I buy too long of one.

I'm sure a TON of you have installed amps or subs in the trunk of your Ion, so hopefully someone can tell me the best length of RCA cable to use. I might even run the RCA's along the center console under the shifter, but would prefer along bottom of doors or under passenger side carpet.

Thanks for any help!
Sold the 97 SL2 and bought a 06 Ion! SO MUCH NICER car! Problem is, I don't think there is a way to change my username, so I'm leaving my username alone until I figure out if/how it can be changed.
97SL2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links