SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
Rknow82
Rknow82 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Default Clean out pre-cat

Having cat probs have a new cat going to install. But I am sure it's the pre-cut plugged. Is it OK to remove and just hollow out the pre-cut? Really don't want to spend another $600 on this car. Also if I do that will it throw the o2 sensor off?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rknow82's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rknow82 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rknow82 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
ddeuces22
Advanced Member
ddeuces22 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: Clean out pre-cat

Feel free to hog that thing right out. It's common practice on here to do so and I haven't seen any issues yet.

96 sl2 stage 1 midpenn cams,91/92 header,2.25 ss exhaust, ported and polished head, groundpounder, sda bones, pimped tranny mount, .40 o/s pistons, .25 u/s rods, .25 u/s crank,19mm progress swaybar

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddeuces22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddeuces22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddeuces22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Be sure to get it all out and take the O2 sensor out so you do not break it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
Rknow82

2002 SC2
2007 ION-3 Sedan

If I hollow out the pre-cat do you know if it will affect the sound of the car alot? I am getting my universal cat to replace the cat under the car this week, I will get that welded in but I am sure my issues are with the pre-cat.

I am not around the car right now but I will have to take the AC compressor to get this out do you know what else will need to be removed. I think that should be it.

Thanks guys!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Rknow82 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

Yes, a/c compressor and mounting bracket need to come off if you are going to remove the exhaust manifold. However, you can probably gut the pre-cat from below without removing it. Wear a good dust mask or respirator.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #6
Rknow82

2002 SC2
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Never thought about doing it from the bottom.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You will never know it is gone. You can get it out from below if you work at it and i is the easy way to do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
Rknow82

2002 SC2
2007 ION-3 Sedan

One last question will I be able to move the down pipe around enough to get up in there to clean it out (from the bottom) or will I have to disconnect exhaust downstream to be able to get enough room. Doing this on ramps not much room for me to crawl around back further.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rknow82 View Post
One last question will I be able to move the down pipe around enough to get up in there to clean it out (from the bottom) or will I have to disconnect exhaust downstream to be able to get enough room. Doing this on ramps not much room for me to crawl around back further.
You will be able to get enough room, just unbolt the manifold from the downpipe and slide to the side

1998 SL2-AMR Strut Bar, AEM CAI, and 119,XXX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Recycled Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Recycled Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Recycled Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

...and disconnect the exhaust hanger under the engine held on by two bolts. At that point, the pipe can be moved away and held with a bungee cord. Put a sandwich bag over the pipe end to keep the crud out while you chip away at the pre-cat.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2014, 11:38 AM   #11
Rknow82

2002 SC2
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Guys know off the top of your head what size bolts those are?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2014, 11:50 AM   #12
BV22
Master Member

2002 SC1

IIRC, the 3 nuts on the pipe flange to exhaust manifold studs are 13mm hex and the two bolts on the hanger are 10mm hex. USE 6 POINT SOCKETS, and give the manifold studs a good PB Blaster soak before trying to remove the nuts.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Old 04-22-2014, 07:46 AM   #13
Rknow82

2002 SC2
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Worked great guys, thanks! Car is running and shifting like new now and no SES light YAY!!!!!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Good to hear that it is now fixed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #15
ddeuces22
Advanced Member
ddeuces22 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Nothing like a free fix!

96 sl2 stage 1 midpenn cams,91/92 header,2.25 ss exhaust, ported and polished head, groundpounder, sda bones, pimped tranny mount, .40 o/s pistons, .25 u/s rods, .25 u/s crank,19mm progress swaybar

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddeuces22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddeuces22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddeuces22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #16
Rknow82

2002 SC2
2007 ION-3 Sedan

No kidding! Have any other tips for improved MPG's?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2014, 11:05 PM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

light foot on the gas and keep the RPM below 3500. Keep cold tire pressure about 4psi above the door sticker values.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #18
john92saturn
john92saturn has a spectacular aura aboutjohn92saturn has a spectacular aura aboutjohn92saturn has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2000 SL2

2002 SL1 - Successfully cleared the pre-cat from the bottom.
The 13mm nuts had eroded down to 11mm, I prayed to Jesus, sprayed them with WD40 and lightly, slowly turned them, building pressure and tightening/loosing for about 2 minutes per nut. Amazingly they broke free and I was able to reassemble after clearing the cat.

I covered the mouth of the disconnected lower pipe with aluminum foil then removed the O2 sensor. then started chipping away. At 1st I was going to clear a 2" hole thru the matrix but realized that over time mess will break free and contaminate things down stream. I applied a 20" red handled Pry Bar and drove it up the outer wall of the chamber, it got the ceramic matrix and the cotton like packing. Very happy.

Next I started the car to let the engine exhaust blow it clear, then I used an air gun and blew into the opening against the exhaust stream, more mess came out. now it is free of debris.
This part of the repair was successful, but the flex pipe gave out and I'm on to the next step.

BTW a quick test drive shows it runs well now. Prior symptoms: no power, bucking a bit like a misfire. No fun to drive at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john92saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john92saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john92saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yep, preCAT is a disaster and need to go away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #20
john92saturn
john92saturn has a spectacular aura aboutjohn92saturn has a spectacular aura aboutjohn92saturn has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2000 SL2

Success!
Clearing the pre-cat improved the running condition. Now that the flex pipe has been replaced and the connections welded air tight, it runs quiet. A test drive proved that it is much better.

Like ddeuces22 says above "nothing like a free fix!" But I did throw a set of plug wires at it and checked the plugs and all ignition terminals. I played with the EGR and found that capping the EGR made the rough running condition go away, but read notes in the forum and found that this will destroy the exhaust valves and that capping the EGR makes the engine run hotter which improves performance, but increases wear.
I diagnosed the plugged condition by removing the O2 sensor a couple of times to prove to myself that the cat was indeed compromised, after that, the rest was sweat and prayer.

(2002 SL1, manual trans with 195,000 miles)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john92saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john92saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john92saturn is offline   Reply With Quote