SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2018, 05:05 PM   #5501
Phyzik sl2
Phyzik sl2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

NSW I would drill out all three threads and tap them to the next bolt size. I think the bolt diameter is M12 so drill them out and tap for m13 or 14. Make sure you have some help while doing this with someone who has done it before or make sure you have enough time to do this slowly to not mess it up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phyzik sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phyzik sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phyzik sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2018, 08:37 PM   #5502
nsw
nsw is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyzik sl2 View Post
NSW I would drill out all three threads and tap them to the next bolt size. I think the bolt diameter is M12 so drill them out and tap for m13 or 14. Make sure you have some help while doing this with someone who has done it before or make sure you have enough time to do this slowly to not mess it up.
I've already got the threads extracted and replaced with the original bolt size. Tapping them to the next size won't be possible because one of the holes/threads is broken along the side on the mounting plate (it snapped off during extraction due to weak threads from already being helicoiled). The other two are fine. For now, it's fixed as well as it can be.

For the future, I'm going to need to replace the mounting plate on the engine. I'm wondering if it's cast into the timing cover or cast into the head, so I know which I'm going to need to replace to properly fix it. It appears to be cast into the timing cover.

Thanks for the advice though, that would have been my plan had I not been able to get the threads out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nsw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nsw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:24 PM   #5503
Goggles Pisano
Goggles Pisano is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Finally got a chance to put on some 1/2" wire loom on the H&R Sport Springs that were installed a few weeks back. Now I can make tight, low-speed turns without the car sounding like I was trying to play the opening riffs to "Stairway To Heaven" on a broken guitar.

Also, I had ordered some 9011 and 9012 bulbs from Rock Auto on a wholesaler closeout and installed them in the SL1... but I had to fix the driver's side headlight first as that aiming adjustment on the top was cracked. After trimming the tabs, they fit very well and I can actually see down the road.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Goggles Pisano's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Goggles Pisano reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Goggles Pisano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #5504
ratwhisperer
ratwhisperer is a jewel in the roughratwhisperer is a jewel in the roughratwhisperer is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1
1994 SL2

Cinnamon got a bath today. Not so bad looking for such an old lady.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0722181242.jpg (90.5 KB, 15 views)

Past:
1995 SW2 - Cynthia - sold
2000 SW2 - Ruby - sold
2004 Vue - Jade - traded in
1996 SL2 - Ursula - sold
1994 SL2 - Nelly Belle - sold

Current:
1997 SL1 - Cinnamon - 280K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ratwhisperer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ratwhisperer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ratwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:18 PM   #5505
jpsuli
jpsuli is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Changed the transmission and engine oil @ 135,420 since it was due and the Autozone near me had $10 off the expensive STP. Still get reverse slam from the transmission despite popping in Lucas Trans Fluid, worked great for the first day but sometimes get slams.

Also created a proper maintenance report for my Saturn instead of notebook paper. Here is a Google Docs link for those who may want it.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 134k

Breakin' stuff as we go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:28 AM   #5506
wizerdwolf
wizerdwolf is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2

More of a culmination of what I did this weekend, but after pulling a "new" hood, a dual horn from some Cadillac, and center caps from the factory alloys (the alloy wheels themselves were gone), I cleaned up the center caps and installed them over my steelies, and swapped the horns in place of the factory single horn.

Haven't swapped on the hood yet because there's a small dent to remove and I will need to repaint it. I'm replacing my hood because the support structure on the underside has several decently large rust holes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wizerdwolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wizerdwolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wizerdwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:55 PM   #5507
1996SW2
1996SW2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2
2000 SW2

This is a culmination of the last three weeks. It seems I have rectified the shift lock-out situation by cleaning shift-lock solenoid, new rear shoes to properly adjust parking brake, tested neutral safety switch and readjusted brake switch. I think the biggest culpret was cleaning out solenoid and adjusting parking brake.

Also installed new front pads (cracked/warranty) and turned rotors. Fresh oil and trans fluid with filters. Reverse slam procedure done and seems to have worked. New ECTS (had old style and cracked) NGK plugs, wires are fairly new and new air filter.

Just tonight I cleaned the throttle body and EGR. Interestingly enough the throttle body had no gasket on it.

I'm hoping these thing will get me back to some decent mpg #'s as it was really suffering in the low 20s. It's back to running a temp at half versus a tick over 1/4.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #5508
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsw View Post
How would I go about replacing the mounting plate on the engine for when I feel like fixing this the proper way? Is it part of the timing cover, or is it part of the head itself?
The upper engine mount studs mount into the timing cover. You would need to replace the timing cover.

2001 SL1 MT (417,500 km @ 05/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (260,870 km @ 05/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (111,176 km @ 05/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #5509
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

New driverís side axle.
~220,000 miles on the old axle.
Notice the new axle has a different style of tri-pot housing.
I did not replace the 6 y.o. seal on the transmission...

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:46 PM   #5510
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
New driverís side axle....
Notice the new axle has a different style of tri-pot housing. ...
And the splines do not look as robust as the O.E. axle
This concerns me No hard engine braking, thatís for sure.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:58 PM   #5511
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Cleaned the car, inside and out. The inside really needed it, probably hasn't been cleaned all that well in the last 18 years. Except for the occasional vacuuming

Also put in a new dome light, was really surprised how much the old one yellowed over the years. I just thought it was always that color. Put an led bulb with it as well to hopefully keep the plastic from getting so brittle from heat incase I need to take it off again at some point. (And I probably will need too, the headliner defiantly isn't looking that great anymore.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4276.jpg (206.0 KB, 16 views)

"Tupperware on wheels"
1997 SL2, 110K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:46 AM   #5512
1996SW2

1996 SW2
2000 SW2

detailed the door panels & dash, even pulled the vents. Magic eraser finished with olive oil on the plastic. Damn near looks new.

installed new drivers door lock/unlock switch (no more crazy lock syndrom). also put in a new IAC Sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2018, 10:39 AM   #5513
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
Also put in a new dome light, was really surprised how much the old one yellowed over the years. I just thought it was always that color. Put an led bulb with it as well to hopefully keep the plastic from getting so brittle from heat incase I need to take it off again at some point. (And I probably will need too, the headliner defiantly isn't looking that great anymore.)
Very nice, how much did the new light cost you?

My guess is that most of the heat is from the roof - sun beating down on the roof and the headliner traps the heat between the metal roof and the interior.

when you pull the headline, may want to fab up some kind of very shallow "bubble" over the dome hole and cover it with foil. I may try and work a small sheet of Reflectix in between the roof and dome light in the future.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:13 AM   #5514
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Very nice, how much did the new light cost you?
It was 33 from wholesalegmpartsonline. I did later find I for 27 on gmpartsgiant though.
Quote:
when you pull the headline, may want to fab up some kind of very shallow "bubble" over the dome hole and cover it with foil. I may try and work a small sheet of Reflectix in between the roof and dome light in the future.
Hmm, Reflectix, I never would have thought of that. I wonder if putting a layer under the entire headliner would help keen the car cool when sitting in the sun.

"Tupperware on wheels"
1997 SL2, 110K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2018, 11:26 AM   #5515
ErikTande
ErikTande will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It was 33 from wholesalegmpartsonline. I did later find I for 27 on gmpartsgiant though.

Hmm, Reflectix, I never would have thought of that. I wonder if putting a layer under the entire headliner would help keen the car cool when sitting in the sun.
Wouldn't hurt. The windows are by far the most significant source of heat transfer though.

http://www.youtube.com/velocitylabs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ErikTande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ErikTande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:47 AM   #5516
1996SW2

1996 SW2
2000 SW2

I just pulled the headliner on the Hoopty last night. I have a bunch of reflectix type sunshades I bought on clearance at walmart for $.75 and plan on using them for that. Anything to combat thr AZ heat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-27-2018, 02:20 PM   #5517
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTande View Post
Wouldn't hurt. The windows are by far the most significant source of heat transfer though.
Yeah, direct sunlight is almost 100% heat transfer into your interior

I have window tint on the rear half of the car and it helps quite a bit. Sun shades on the windshield helps a lot, too. In MI, front side windows are only allowed to have tint on the top 4"

I put some regular aluminum foil on both the sunroof slider and on one section of the back of my headliner, and I think it helps block some of the heat transfer from the roof.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=232430

I may add more foil or reflectix later this summer, as I will have more time to work on it.

Well, unless my wife keeps coming up with other stuff.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:26 AM   #5518
ErikTande

Picked up a new (used) lawnmower in the wagon this weekend.

Also, had a coolant leak the past week that kept getting worse. It was the water pump (probably just the gasket, which was super brittle and cracked / broken). So I replaced the water pump (duralast from autozone, $35 w/ gasket). I used copper spray on the gasket to help stick it in place while installing the pump. Also did a coolant flush while I was in there. Leak free again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-01-2018, 12:32 AM   #5519
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTande View Post
Took the carpet out of my wagon to wash it and added some insulation while I was at it to keep things nice and quiet and cool. Started with some Peel n' Seal from Lowes on the bare metal spots, then a layer of a few nice big sheets of Reflectix over the big areas.

Sorry for the huge images, can't get resize to work. :P
I've been thinking of doing this recently. How well has it been working for you at keeping the car cool? My A/C seems to have a hard time cooling off the car/keeping it cold. It feels cold coming out of the vents and I stuck a thermometer in one of them and it defiantly is working like it should be so I feel like the cold air is just escaping the car too fast for the A/C too keep up with.

"Tupperware on wheels"
1997 SL2, 110K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-01-2018, 08:10 AM   #5520
ErikTande

Quote:
I've been thinking of doing this recently. How well has it been working for you at keeping the car cool? My A/C seems to have a hard time cooling off the car/keeping it cold. It feels cold coming out of the vents and I stuck a thermometer in one of them and it defiantly is working like it should be so I feel like the cold air is just escaping the car too fast for the A/C too keep up with.
Good, definitely made a difference. On a 95 degree day the floor was warmish to the touch, now it's cool. The biggest difference was road noise though, the car is way quieter.

The AC on every Saturn I have had has been just "OK" when it gets above 90-95 degrees. On full blast with all the vents pointing at me it will keep me cool enough, but it definitely doesn't make any progress in cooling the cabin down.

I think some quality tint would help A LOT to keep the sun out and give the AC a better chance of cooling the cabin down. When I leave all my window shades up (posted pics previously on page 274) the cabin actually cools down nicely, but that makes it pretty hard to see any direction except forward.

Last edited by ErikTande; 08-01-2018 at 08:16 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!