SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
L200INRI
L200INRI is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
Default Ion Noise/Control Problems Cured!

Hey Everyone -

I own a 2004 Ion 3 VTi QC w/47k on it. I've gone through the front-end bushings a few times and especially over the last 3 months - Noticed the road noise to be neighboring on obscene! In addition, the car seemed to feel very darty on the highway (I have a 100 mile daily round trip commute) and getting increasingly difficult to control over 65 mph.

The road noise, whining and humming were getting out of control - To the point you had trouble hearing the radio and forget hearing the engine. I took the car several times to the dealer - thinking I had a bad wheel bearing, bad allignment or a host of other problems. Nothing could be found wrong... I swear the service department must that thought I was nuts.

This weekend, I decided to swap out the Firestone Firehawks which came with the car (Still had plenty of tread left after 47k) for a pair of Bridgestone Insignia tires. 100% improvement. Car has never been so quiet - No road noise! - In addition, bad weather traction (Rain etc...) which was never good with the Firehawks is Awesome (I know it's poured here for the last 3 days!), and the handling is superb - Corners, brakes and rides just as good as the Firehawks. It's like driving a brand new car!

According to the Bridgestone/Firestone dealer I went to - There are alot of problems with the Firehawks - And MANY MANY complaints. They offered to register my complaint with Firestone and in the process was able to give me a $75 discount per tire - Apparently because there are a significant number of complaints with the Firehawks - In the hopes I'd stay with one of their products.

Just thought I'd post in case anyone else has come across issues and/or concerns... I can't be the only one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L200INRI's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L200INRI reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L200INRI is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2006, 09:42 PM   #2
Cap138
Cap138 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Ion Noise/Control Problems Cured!

My Firehawks also were REALLY noisy right before I replaced them around 42K miles. They were badly cupped and I guess that tends to happen with the Firehawks on the Ion.

Good to hear you got a better set and at a great discount too!

2008 Astra 5-dr XR
black sapphire, manual
leather, sport, sunroof, adv audio
2000 SL1
2003 Ion3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cap138's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cap138 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cap138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:37 AM   #3
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

Note to any ION owners with the firehawks still, get your alignment up to date. They came out with an updated alignment specs to get rid of the choppy tires..... they arent the best tire, but slightly off alignment specs have helped lead to early failure and uneven wear.

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:04 PM   #4
syphrus
syphrus is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Thanks for the update. I may have to get an alignment because I'm having trouble keeping my car stable in the straights. Oh, I have goodyear front tires and stock QC2 rear tires. My 2 front tires went bald really early.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to syphrus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help syphrus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
syphrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:13 PM   #5
jmettee
jmettee is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I replaced my Firehawks at 30k....they were getting loud & starting to slip in the rain.

We just ordered a 2007 Dodge Caliber R/T for my wife.....guess what tires come on it.....Firehawk GTA-03's What's worse, they are 215/55-R18's. try finding an exact replacement for that.....there are no other choices. Gotta do some plus sizing to replace them with something else. Gonna be expensive too!

J

2003 SATURN Ion QC3m
"Giggity Giggity Goo" -Quagmire

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmettee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmettee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jmettee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:36 PM   #6
k-dee
k-dee is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan

I replaced my Firehawks at 55,000 Km's with Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads. Way quieter and better handling. These are the tires the Ion should have come with in the first place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to k-dee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help k-dee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
k-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:06 PM   #7
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

I had my Ion3 sedan alligned, however our crappy rear suspension is non adjustable, so you have to hope that it is within spec. The front is usually the culprit though.

As for Firestone tires, after all the problems and bad luck with them I really think I have to avoid that entire brand name. Isn't Bridgestone the same company, except their tires are actually decent? Is Firestone the cheap Bridgestone brand?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:18 AM   #8
06lev3x4
06lev3x4 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

is there an alignment fix that I have to have done to a 2006 level 3 sedan? Are the tires on the 06 level 3 as bad as the firehawks on the 04 level 3?

Ion 3 Sedan with 2.4 liter engine stock

"Weekends here, good god almighty people, lets get drunk and be somebody"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 06lev3x4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 06lev3x4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
06lev3x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:55 PM   #9
nbudusmith
nbudusmith is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Let me get this straight... the rear suspension is not adjustable? Does that mean there's no need for a four wheel alignment? I was planning on replacing some of the front end bushings and getting a four wheel alignment. Is a four wheel alignment a waste of money since the rear cannot be adjusted?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nbudusmith's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nbudusmith reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nbudusmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:53 AM   #10
Bigdaddy94sc2

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06lev3x4
is there an alignment fix that I have to have done to a 2006 level 3 sedan? Are the tires on the 06 level 3 as bad as the firehawks on the 04 level 3?
Are you having an alignment related problem? There isnt a common problem with 06's having uneven tires or out of alignment issues.... You dont see or feel a problem, there probably isnt.

As far as your tires, I am pretty sure you have either the Goodyear Assurances on your level 3, or you at least have the Hankooks, which are decent as well.... So you should be ok.

Rear suspension is non-adjustable, but they have to know if the rear is off to adjust thrust angle, etc...

Does anyone even do 2 wheel alignments?

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2006, 10:15 AM   #11
06lev3x4

2006 ION-3 Sedan

no im not having any problems.... im just wanting to know if there is any tsb's that I should be aware of for the suspension. any parts that I should have replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 06lev3x4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2006, 10:16 AM   #12
06lev3x4

2006 ION-3 Sedan

I was told by my auto teacher when i was taking a class on auto suspension that you need to adjust the rear suspension first since it controls the front suspension.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2006, 03:12 AM   #13
Bigdaddy94sc2

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06lev3x4
I was told by my auto teacher when i was taking a class on auto suspension that you need to adjust the rear suspension first since it controls the front suspension.
On most cars that is true, but the ION has no adjustable angles in the rear. Take a look under there, there isnt any way to adjust it. If it is out of spec severely, the whole rear suspension gets replaced....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2006, 03:26 PM   #14
teebird
teebird is on a distinguished road

I thought the rear link had an adjustment? I have been getting charged with a 4 wheel alignment!!! My Fireblowns wore out in 25k miles. Alignment was bad. I put on some tires from Pep Boys, Futuras I think, and they have actually been really nice tires and do quite well in the rain. I've 50k miles on them and they have probably got another 10k miles in them. Yes I do have 75k miles on the Ion!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to teebird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help teebird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
teebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:00 PM   #15
desired name
desired name is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

The rear toe and camber are adjustable with the use of shims. I had to get them added to my ION3 2003, as well as camber bolts to the front. My dealer told me they adusted my aligment and it was quote "perfect", but it kept wareing the inside edge of all four tires even the one they replaced under warranty. They all had about a -1 deg camber and now are closer to -.0.1 deg. At least the dont make that screeching sound anymore when I go through t
he curves.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to desired name's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help desired name reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
desired name is offline   Reply With Quote