SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2007, 12:04 AM   #1
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Default Step-By-Step - 3.5L Throttle Body Coolant Bypass (with pictures)

Here's how to bypass the coolant line going to your throttle body. Theoretically, one can gain 1-2hp with this modification. I'm just doing it because its free, and it took me 15 minutes.

This line is used to prevent icing of the throttle plate during sustained high speed driving in extremely cold temperatures. When the ambient temperature in the engine bay is below freezing (High speed driving), and the intake air is also below freezing, it is possible for ice to form on the throttle plate.

Right now, its summer. I could care less. I've read where people have frozen their throttle bodies in a freezer for hours on end, and the plate still moved perfectly fine. The spring is extremely strong in the drive-by-wire motor. There is a very low chance of the icing problem occuring, so I'll probably run this mod through the winter as well.

The advantage to this mod? Possibly a cooler intake charge. If the throttle body isn't soaking in heat from the coolant, it won't be heating the air passing through it.

Onto the steps!

1: Remove the coolant reservoir cap, after ensuring the motor is cool and there is no pressure in the system. IMPORTANT: REPLACE the cap after you have removed it. The throttle body is LOWER than the coolant reservoir, and all of the coolant in it will drain out if the cap is removed. Leaving it on creates a vacuum in the system so only a little coolant drips out. I found this out the hard way.

2: Remove the air intake and valve cover breather tube.

These are the throttle body coolant lines. They run from the thermostat housing, through the throttle body, through a metal pipe, and back into the motor.

3: Unclamp and disconnect BOTH lines from underneath the throttle body.

You can see the blue coolant gushing out because I didn't have the reservoir cap on at this time.

4: Disconnect and Remove the line connected to the top of the thermostat housing.

5: Disconnect the rightmost coolant hose from the Metal valve cover breather pipe and remove it.

6: Disconnect the leftmost hose attached to the metal valve cover breather pipe BUT DO NOT REMOVE IT FROM THE MOTOR. It should look like this now.

7: Loop the hose still connected to the motor over to the top of the thermostat housing. Clamp it down.

8: Refill your coolant reservoir with your favorite coolant. I like Honda Type II Blue.

9: Replace the cap on the coolant reservoir. Reinstall your intake. Connect the valve cover breather tube. Don't forget to plug in the IAT sensor!

You're done!

Did anything happen to my idle? Nope. It idles just as good as it did before. Honda Drive-By-Wire throttle bodies do not use the coolant lines in them to adjust idle speed, so this mod doesn't affect it at all.

Is my car faster? Heck if I know! Any gains are probably minimal, and I doubt a human could notice them. The power increase due to a cooler intake charge probably can't even be seen on a dyno it is so small.

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2007, 12:06 AM   #2
grn96sl2
grn96sl2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: Step-By-Step - 3.5L Throttle Body Coolant Bypass (with pictures)

yeah, i have seen this trick on many cars, i did it on my first car, 1996 Mazda Protege, and i liked the improvements i got from this free mod.

"Nitrous is like a girl with an STD. You know u want to hit it, but ur afraid of the consequences"
myspace: www.myspace.com/jordanputnam11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to grn96sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help grn96sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
grn96sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:48 AM   #3
SC2SkyVue
SC2SkyVue is on a distinguished road

Question Re: Step-By-Step - 3.5L Throttle Body Coolant Bypass (with pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout View Post
Here's how to bypass the coolant line going to your throttle body.

The advantage to this mod? Possibly a cooler intake charge.
This thread is from a couple of years ago...
... seems like a logical engine efficiency mod?

Any experiences with long term effects of this...
... and maybe variances between summer and winter?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2SkyVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2SkyVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2SkyVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
nitroussaturn
nitroussaturn will become famous soon enough

this mod/topic has been discussed so many times on so many diffrent forums

2004 REDLINE FWD TONS OF MODS..CLICK HERE http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3144619
1999 MERCEDES BENZ AMG E55,MY DD VETTE KILLER
2000 328I M3 RIMS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nitroussaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nitroussaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nitroussaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
burnout
Master Member

It didn't do a damn thing for me Was a great way to kill time though, back in the day.

Phenolic intake spacers would have probably made more of a difference, as the entire intake manifold would stay cool then.

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
SC2SkyVue
SC2SkyVue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It didn't do a damn thing for me.
Was a great way to kill time though, back in the day.
Thanks! Like many things that "look good on paper"... are different in reality.

(As a Saturnite, don't venture into other carforums much.)

2007 SKY RL
2004 VUE RL
1996 SC2CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2SkyVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2SkyVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2SkyVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
nitroussaturn
nitroussaturn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It didn't do a damn thing for me Was a great way to kill time though, back in the day.

Phenolic intake spacers would have probably made more of a difference, as the entire intake manifold would stay cool then.
lol..im running Phenolic spacers,put them in when i ported the upper intake,engine sounds deeper since i did both..but i didnt really notice a difference other then that,,,need to hit a dyno soon

2004 REDLINE FWD TONS OF MODS..CLICK HERE http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3144619
1999 MERCEDES BENZ AMG E55,MY DD VETTE KILLER
2000 328I M3 RIMS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nitroussaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nitroussaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nitroussaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #8
burnout
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroussaturn View Post
lol..im running Phenolic spacers,put them in when i ported the upper intake,engine sounds deeper since i did both..but i didnt really notice a difference other then that,,,need to hit a dyno soon
Yeah, I would imagine you'd only notice at the dragstrip doing multiple passes. When I would run my Vue, it would get progressively slower as the night went on due to heatsoak. I had to ice down the manifold to be able to get into the high 9's (1/8th mi) again.

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #9
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Well, last night my first run was my best run. I couldn't ever get back to that time even with faster 60 foots and such. But it was very consistent, no matter how I did it really. Always slow.

So that says one of two things to me. Either I was heatsoaked for all but my first run (possible, although I did let it sit a few times for a few minutes), or that we don't heatsoak that badly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #10
burnout
Master Member

I think the IM gaskets are made of metal on the J35, which are absolutely horrible from a heatsoak standpoint. Chances are that's what the problem was. If only we had a composite intake manifold...

Maybe increasing tranny temps have something to do with it too?

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #11
vlipke
vlipke is on a distinguished road

you ran your vue at the dragstrip? LOL

WHat did you run? I have always wondered. Have considered many times taking the wife with me when I go, and run her Vue to see what it would do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vlipke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vlipke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vlipke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
burnout
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlipke View Post
you ran your vue at the dragstrip? LOL
Of course! Vues are faster than most of the Mustangs and Hondas that run at my local strip Never pass up an opportunity to look at a 5.0 Mustang owner's face when you smoke him.

My best 1/8th time is 9.98.

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #13
vlipke
vlipke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Of course! Vues are faster than most of the Mustangs and Hondas that run at my local strip Never pass up an opportunity to look at a 5.0 Mustang owner's face when you smoke him.

My best 1/8th time is 9.98.
LOL, Nice, maybe I should take the Vue down to the dragstrip, see how it does against my stang. It wouldnt be pretty for her, but it would be fun. I just wish they had a tuner for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vlipke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vlipke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vlipke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #14
Parasimian
Parasimian is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Sounds interesting... But what if you live in a state that is winter for most of the year? Aka: Alaska

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Parasimian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Parasimian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Parasimian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #15
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasimian View Post
Sounds interesting... But what if you live in a state that is winter for most of the year? Aka: Alaska
Then you probably don't have to worry about IATs :P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote