SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
ElysRealm
ElysRealm is on a distinguished road

Default Anyone know of an idiot proof guide on how to replace a 99 SL1 sway bar?

I found this: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61335

However not sure it will work on my SL1. Anyone know of any video tutorials or manuals for model?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ElysRealm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ElysRealm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ElysRealm is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2019, 02:10 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Anyone know of an idiot proof guide on how to replace a 99 SL1 sway bar?

A SL1 has no sway bar links to replace, I don't see how that thread could be of any use to you at all.

The front sway bar is pretty straightforward to replace...loosen the nut holding the bar to the control arm on both sides, detatch the control arms from the cradle, remove the 4 bolts at the front of the cradle holding the bushing straps in place and it comes right out.

If you actually have a SL2 then it does have a rear sway bar and links to replace. Easiest way to get them off is to cut them; OEM links and a few replacement brands don't give you a decent way to hold the threaded end in place when you want to take the nut off and it just ends up spinning requiring you to cut it off anyway...best to just start by cutting the silly thing off. Installing should be simpler than a wheel change, put the link back through the hole and torque down the nut.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Anyone know of an idiot proof guide on how to replace a 99 SL1 sway bar?

No such thing as "idiot proof"

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
Sid
Advanced Member
Sid will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2

Here's a RichPin video on replacing the front stabilizer bar on an SL2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPr3QnbqMpY

96 SW2 5MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #5
Sid
Advanced Member
Sid will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2

I used a come-along and some chain to pull the ends of the bar together a bit to get it to line up with the bushings in the lower control arm. I didn't have to separate the ball joint, etc as in RichPin's video.

Also, make sure the new bar is right side up when you go to put it in (yes I tried to put one in upside down once). I suggest pulling the old bar out and setting it on the ground or floor without flipping it over so you can compare it to the new one and make sure the new one isn't upside down.

96 SW2 5MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #6
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

FiremanCV posted a nice video on replacing his ball joint and in that he deals with the sway bar. I find his videos are pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yajcRGnsJ0U

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:55 PM   #7
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Also take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiMpMPDf7s4

from The mech a nic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #8
fjmg
fjmg will become famous soon enough

If you have a carpenter friend, ask to borrow their 48" pipe or bar clamp.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fjmg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fjmg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fjmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #9
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmg View Post
If you have a carpenter friend, ask to borrow their 48" pipe or bar clamp.
The pipe clamps I've seen are usually small-ish diameter black pipe. I think it would bend too easily, if it even fit over the handle.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:01 PM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You can not pull al of this in with a clamp or a forest of clamps. Ratchet straps do work. With BOTH sides bushing clamps removed let the new bar down an put 1 end in place and then ratchet strap to get the other in place. Use the assembled side is the anchor point and not the cradle. This bows the bar slightly and it will go into the LCA easily. Then use a jack to get the bar back into place so you can attach the bushing clamps.

This works with both sides on jack stands and both wheels off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:26 AM   #11
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Oops, I can't edit my post.... I wasn't careful of what thread I was replying too. I was thinking of a cheater bar, not using the pipe clamp as a clamp.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote