SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2019, 05:22 AM   #1
StarLady
Advanced Member
StarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really nice

1992 SC
Default Switch from 5w30 to 10w30?

It has just occurred to me... since I now live in a much warmer climate, and my car is "older" Would it be a good idea to start using 10w30 oil?
What would be the pros and cons?

1992 SC - TwinCam (Automagic)
Bought it brand new, and still loving it today.

Last edited by StarLady; 05-15-2019 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: spelling error

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to StarLady's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help StarLady reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
StarLady is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2019, 06:16 AM   #2
StarLady
Advanced Member
StarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really nice

1992 SC
Default Re: Switch from 5w30 to 10w30?

I just came across this post from 2010:

" I like 10w better simply because it has fewer of the exotic and fragile "viscosity index improver" compounds in it. Those chemicals help dino achieve the spread between the 5 and the 30 in 5w30 and 5w30 needs more than 10w30 (all else equal). Less is better in a Saturn because when oil gets trapped between our oil control rings and compression rings that stuff is the first thing to overheat and burn off into sludge. And you know what happens next: oil consumption!"
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150880

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help StarLady reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-15-2019, 06:28 AM   #3
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

I run 10w-30 in the hot SC Summer. Engine sounds slightly more "copacetic" & less "raw".

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:52 AM   #4
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I ran nothing but 5W-30. During the rebuild at 204K, the engine looked really good inside. Had there been drain back holes in the pistons I probably would not have been rebuilding.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #5
StarLady
Advanced Member

1992 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcher View Post
I run 10w-30 in the hot SC Summer. Engine sounds slightly more "copacetic" & less "raw".
I had to look that word up Thanks. I love learning new words.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2019, 04:52 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

'Copacetic' was termed in the '20s' so its not a new word. Its a leftover from a bygone era, resurrected to make something old, new. Sort of like using old school phrases like 'public relations' and inventing a new way to put a spin on this phrase - spin doctoring. F!@% is used as an adjective "WTF?!", a verb "F--- off!?, noun "Well, he's a f---", etc. The last time copacetic was used was WW II and afterwards but fell into disuse as new words came to replace it; cool, mojo, bad (as in good), etc. Look to the past to see how many things old are suddenly new to the next generation.

Asking about oil is opening a new page in oil debates with as many opinions along with rumors and bad advice from the uninformed. The oil companies are more than happy to indulge in every form of oil to cater to the billions of 'ice' cars around the world. Regular oil comes in single or multiple viscosities, 100% synthetic or mixed blends of regular and synthetic at every price level. About the only thing to remember besides recommended viscosities is staying with standardized ratings. And even that can be confusing; http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm. About the only precaution is buying oil labeled from places like "Harry's Bait and Tackle".....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:15 PM   #7
StarLady
Advanced Member

1992 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
'Copacetic' was termed in the '20s' so its not a new word. Its a leftover from a bygone era, resurrected to make something old, new.
Just new to me

I didn't mean to start yet another big debate about motor oil. Just wondered if there might be a good reason to not start using 10w30 in my car. But I've been doing some reading of old threads here, and it would seem that there's no problem, and may even be a good thing for my old Satty here in warm Hawaii.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

There is no technical reason to switch to a 10w-30 oil. The cold start and normal running viscosity of either 5w-30 or 10w-30 will be functionally identical. You would be bet off using a good 100% PAO synthetic other than that stay with the 5w-30 you have been using.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:26 PM   #9
nealt
nealt is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1999 SC2

Quote:
Oil pressure itself does not directly prevent engine wear. Oil pressure is only a measure of resistance to flow. So, it does not help an engine at all, to use super thick oil in order to increase the oil pressure. But, knowing that your engine makes sufficient HOT oil pressure is essential. Because that tells us if the oiling system is robust enough to keep up with the oil bleed-off out of the bearing clearances, in order to maintain that critical incompressible hydrodynamic liquid oil wedge between the bearings and crankshaft journals. So, even though oil pressure by itself does not directly help prevent wear, knowing that the oil pressure is acceptable, is extremely important.

In general, it is best to use the thinnest viscosity motor oil that will still maintain sufficient HOT oil pressure. Thinner oil is best because thinner oil flows, lubricates and cools critical engine components better than thicker oils can. Thinner oils reduce bearing temperatures and sump temperatures compared to thicker oils. Thinner oils can also help increase horsepower and miles per gallon. Using thicker oil than is needed, is going the wrong way. See my Blog’s “Section 2” on motor oil viscosity selection, and the benefits of using thinner oil, for all the details.
This is a resource I found....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nealt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nealt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nealt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:28 PM   #10
nealt
nealt is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1999 SC2

Quote:
Which Motor Oil is best, 5W30 or 10W30?

5W30 is almost ALWAYS the better choice. Here’s why:

Both oils are rated as 30wt oils when at normal HOT operating temperature. So, they are equivalent where an engine spends 99% of its life.

But, 5W30 is rated as a 5wt oil when cold, where 10W30 is rated as a 10wt oil when cold. That means 5W30 will flow better, and thus lubricate better, during cold engine start-up and during engine warm-up, when the colder and thicker oil is not flowing as freely as when it is fully warmed up. The cold flow advantage of 5W30 is ideal, and highly desirable. So, there is absolutely no benefit to using 10W30 in most engines.

However, the only exception is for those few engines out there that may make bothersome cold start-up noise with 5W30, that can be eliminated with 10W30. Other than that purpose, there is no good reason for anyone to ever use 10W30.
And another resource from 540RAT.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nealt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nealt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nealt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:16 AM   #11
StarLady
Advanced Member

1992 SC

Thanks everyone for the helpful input.
I guess, "if it aint broke, don't fix it."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2019, 11:27 AM   #12
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

My owner's manuals (1998, 2001, 2001) all say 5w30 is the recommended oil weight, but if ambient temps will remain above 20F, 10w30 is fine, too.
Pretty sure most of Hawaii is normally above 20F

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:11 AM   #13
tizan
tizan is on a distinguished road

Remember why multi grade was made...people want to start and go in 5 seconds or less.
If you idle 30 s or more before moving the car when starting from cold engine ...then no difference between 5W and 10W
But if you are always 2 minutes late in the morning stick to what is recommended

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tizan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tizan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tizan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:22 AM   #14
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
My owner's manuals (1998, 2001, 2001) all say 5w30 is the recommended oil weight, but if ambient temps will remain above 20F, 10w30 is fine, too.
Pretty sure most of Hawaii is normally above 20F
The oil recommendations in any Saturn owners manual is at least 17 years out of date. That renders those recommendations For Information Only.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2019, 08:44 AM   #15
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

why not switch to a thicker in the heat weight like a 5w-40 or a 10w-40. Basically what I am asking is... isn't the top/high number more about the hot end of the spectrum?

...and please, I hope we are all talking about Full Synthetic Oil. If anyone is demonstrating any concern as to what's the best oil to put in a car they love and depend on, it should always be full synthetic.

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It is not hot enough there to justify any 40 weight oil in these engines. A large percentage of the engine cooling is performed by the oil. Increasing viscosity will increase the internal oil temperature and heat load on the liquid cooling system. The higher viscosity reduces the oil flow rate and increases the indicated pressure. The decreased flow rate is a very bad thing to have happen.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #17
Sid
Advanced Member
Sid will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2

How about 0w30? I've been using it for 4 years with no noticeable change in oil consumption compared to the 5w30 I used previously.

96 SW2 5MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:22 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The Xw in the product ID has to do with the 32F viscosity and has nothing to do with the normal viscosity at 40C and 100C. The viscosity index gives you a clue as to the viscosity at the normal cold start temps. Using the 0w-30 is not going to hurt anything unless you are buying a low quality synthetic or mineral based oil then you may run into a excessively low viscosity condition at hot operating temperature.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #19
Eiron
Eiron will become famous soon enoughEiron will become famous soon enough

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLady View Post
It has just occurred to me... since I now live in a much warmer climate, and my car is "older" Would it be a good idea to start using 10w30 oil?
What would be the pros and cons?
Either would be fine in your location (between those two choices, I'd pick 10w myself). As others have said, using Full Synthetic is a better choice than non-synthetic. And I'll throw in that using a "High Mileage" oil will (typically) give you a better additive package at no additional expense.

He's dead Jim!
You grab his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eiron's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eiron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:23 PM   #20
StarLady
Advanced Member

1992 SC

Thanks everyone for your helpful input. Will keep the info in mind, along with other info posted on older threads I've been reading here.
At this time I'm not ready to make the jump to synthetic or high mileage oils. That would be too drastic of a change for me (and my Satty). Baby steps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!