SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #4061
akulahawk
akulahawk is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Today I replaced the clutch hydraulics... only took about 30 minutes or so from start to finish. Last week I bled the system as best as I could and there was some air in the system and I was wondering where the fluid went. After I took the old components off the car, I found out why there was such an issue and why I've been having problems with shifting for a while now. The damper was leaking. With the new components in place, it shifts a whole lot nicer/better than it did, and the friction point is much higher off the floor. Immediately before I replaced the system, that point was about 1-2 inches off the floor and the clutch was dragging a little bit. Now there's no dragging and shifting is just soo nice!

Best $100 I've ever spent on this car!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to akulahawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help akulahawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
akulahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #4062
dummo
dummo will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynineSC2 View Post
Added a SCCNA sticker to each rear quarter window and a lupus awareness sticker to the rear.
The other day I noticed mine was peeling up around the edges (paper print 3" circular version purchased from CafePress which I sprayed with Krylon clear from the Walmart Paint department (said on the can that it was compatible with paper). So I've learned that there needs to be found another solution.

StickerRobot versions would call for a minimum of about $250 investment.

So all you Larz Anderson participants that got stickers be aware - maybe some kind of clear plastic adhesive like plastic packaging tape is the possible fix for your remaining stickers.

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:30 PM   #4063
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
The other day I noticed mine was peeling up around the edges (paper print 3" circular version purchased from CafePress which I sprayed with Krylon clear from the Walmart Paint department (said on the can that it was compatible with paper). So I've learned that there needs to be found another solution.

StickerRobot versions would call for a minimum of about $250 investment.

So all you Larz Anderson participants that got stickers be aware - maybe some kind of clear plastic adhesive like plastic packaging tape is the possible fix for your remaining stickers.
How long was your sticker on prior to starting to peel?

Current:

1999 SC2, 160,XXX

Past:

1989 Mustang LX, Unknown mileage(JY engine in it when I got it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ninetynineSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #4064
dummo
dummo will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

^^^ since October 25 - I sprayed 4 coats of the Krylon clear on it and all 48 I purchased - I think that a real weatherproof sticker needs to be printed on a plastic substrate. I still have a stack so I will replace it in the spring or sooner.

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:42 PM   #4065
Lucario
Lucario is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1

Took Hikaru out to get some gas. nothing like paying 9.90 to fill her up from half and getting 32 mpg in cold ohio weather. Checked her oil with only a little burning since her oil change

02 SC1 "Hikaru" 83K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lucario's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lucario reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lucario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:12 PM   #4066
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
^^^ since October 25 - I sprayed 4 coats of the Krylon clear on it and all 48 I purchased - I think that a real weatherproof sticker needs to be printed on a plastic substrate. I still have a stack so I will replace it in the spring or sooner.
Most likely. I did some research and until we can get some weatherproof stickers I may have to ask my dad what edge sealer they use on the decals of the firetrucks to keep them from peeling up. I checked a few different stores today and none of them had any kind of edge sealer for what we would need.

Current:

1999 SC2, 160,XXX

Past:

1989 Mustang LX, Unknown mileage(JY engine in it when I got it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ninetynineSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:09 PM   #4067
jhonky
Advanced Member
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Spent like 800 between lifetime alignments, struts, strut mounts, camber bolts etc with labor included in that amount

98 SL2
5th gear swap
223000 miles
38 mpg

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:41 PM   #4068
Jeeprz!
Jeeprz! is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonky View Post
Spent like 800 between lifetime alignments, struts, strut mounts, camber bolts etc with labor included in that amount
jhonky, can I ask where you got your "lifetime alignments" at?

Green 1998 SC2 Auto DOHC 160k that doesn't burn any oil!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jeeprz!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jeeprz! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jeeprz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:52 PM   #4069
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Old Denso plugs out, new Denso plugs in. Fluids and tire pressure check.

One low maintenance car.

Alordofchaos isn't scared to put his sig line where his mouth is!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:18 AM   #4070
silentdude56k
silentdude56k is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2
2002 SL2

This is the work I've done this month on three different cars.

My 1994 SW2: On a 45 mile highway drive the SES light came on. I shorted the pins on the OBD-I connector with a paperclip to read what codes it had in store for me: the (probably original) EGR was stuck partially open. The thing got stuck open permanently when I attempted to clean it so I replaced it with a brand new one.

Over the past month and a half a metallic clicking, and later grinding, noise developed somewhere around the engine. It was intermittent, and when it did show up it was only between 1500 and 2000 rpm. It would happen in park and drive in all gears as long as it was in that rpm range. I couldn't figure out what it was until it got much louder and started expanding its range to 2500+ rpm. I figured it was the belt tensioner going out, so I ordered a Gates tensioner along with a new idler pulley and a 778 belt.

Here's where things get a little interesting.

I had the car on a jack stand with the passenger side front wheel removed and the splash panels pulled out so I could get to work. I tried to relieve tension on the belt, but the tensioner wouldn't budge. Tapping the wrench with a rubber mallet loosened it up, after which it was much too easy to crank the pulley out of the way. This is when I noticed that the lower tensioner mounting bolt was sticking about 3/4 of the way out of the engine. I just sat there for a minute staring at the bolt. In addition, the head of that bolt was nearly smooth.

Luckily, my local Home Depot had some that matched, and the rest of the installation went off without a hitch. The mechanic that replaced the tensioner a few years ago must have destroyed the bolt head, preventing it from being tightened properly and hastening the tensioner's demise. I'm a little upset I didn't notice this until now but I'm happy the problem is fixed.

My sister's 2002 SL2: A little over a month after replacing a leaky water pump at around 102k miles the radiator decided to develop the infamous driver's side crack. I put in a new radiator and did a preemptive thermostat change to fix that problem. My sister is good at making sure the oil is topped up, but that oil was black as tar on the dipstick. She had been driving a lot more than I thought and managed to go almost 7k miles since the last oil change. Needless to say I took care of that right away.

My grandmother's 1996 SC2: Replaced a hemorrhaging valve cover gasket, spark plugs, spark plug wires, coil packs (old ones were out of spec), and the original (but still working) ECTS. After reattaching the original valve cover to the engine the car started throwing a P0204 (injector #4 circuit), which was caused by one of the #4 fuel injector's wires being exposed and grounding against the accelerator cable mount. This post is getting a little long, but you can get the details (including an incredibly dumb mistake of mine that forced me to get a replacement valve cover) here: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205463

My dad and my grandmother jokingly said that I should open a garage.

"The Grape": Purple 1994 SW2. 277k+ miles. Original auto trans. Head machined, gasket replaced due to an overheat at ~261k. Timing chain replaced for good measure. Passes California smog testing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silentdude56k's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silentdude56k reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silentdude56k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:49 AM   #4071
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

While driving down US-23 near AnnArbor, I was able to "cross it up" over the pavement expansion lumps.
Fun! Hit the lumps at the posted speed of 70 mph and while the front wheels were off the ground I was able to twist the steering wheel to 1:00 and back to 12:00 before the front wheels touched the pavement repeatedly, without the car reacting at all.
Like motocross! Those lumps have been there for years and I just put them to good use.
If the traffic wasn't so heavy I would have gone for 2:00. Maybe at 75mph Yah, that's the ticket

10 Lb. Competition Clutch Steel Flywheel: 8 stalls to date (and loving it)

Last edited by bumpdraft; 01-25-2015 at 09:56 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote