SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
compo1
compo1 is on a distinguished road

Default lifter installation questions

i have a 94 sl1..it is ticking really loud and two mechanics have diagnosed lifter(s) failure...it does not burn oil and overall runs well...what are the chances that there is some damage to the cam with worn lifters..should i replace or machine shop the cam at the same time..is it a tough job to replace the lifters..my haynes guide makes it sound easy although i'm sure it isnt..my first thought is to just replace the lifters and if i still have problems then i will pull the head and replace it and maybe the cam...any thoughts or observations....also is it normal wear and tear for the lifters to be worn at 135,000 or should i be looking for a lubrication problem as the cause of the lifter failure...well off to work,i'll check for response tonite(monday 10/23)...thanks in advance for any help/advice....compo1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to compo1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help compo1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
compo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2006, 10:48 AM   #2
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2
Default Re: lifter installation questions

They might be mistaking the noise for timing chain noise. If your chain hasn't been replaced, it might be the cause.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeagle1
They might be mistaking the noise for timing chain noise. If your chain hasn't been replaced, it might be the cause.
I agree, the chain is much more likely to be the culprit with that mileage.

Lift the hood and listen to the left (passenger) side of the cam cover. The sound will be louder there than on the other side, if it's the chain. Just be careful with dangling clothing around the serp. belt.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Realistically, you can't pull the cam unless you pull the timing chain. That is unless you have a fancy tool to hold the cam sprockets in place. I've seen a few interesting improvisations for that like the one here. I'm not sure I'd trust that. So, you might as well plan on doing the timing chain and it's a real pain BTW.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
Tatusmi
Advanced Member
Tatusmi is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

timing chain = bad news. you might as well run the engine into the ground and drop a new one in unless you're rather mechanically inclined and you're gunna do it yourself.

It is completely possible that you have a lifter gone, I have one gone in my car now... it makes a constant ticking noise. A timing chain will sound like an old VW diesel if it's on its way out... a busted lifter will not do any more damage to the engine (so I've been told) so it's more of an annoyance than anything.

- Tatusmi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tatusmi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tatusmi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tatusmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:58 PM   #6
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

dudes... it's an SL1, real easy, cam can stay in.

Just remove the cam cover then the rocker arms on their "axles" (sorry, forget correct term) as an assembly. Just undo/redo each 10mm bolt head a little at a time so the axles don't bend under valve spring pressure. Then with these off the lifters are simply held in with little plates that sit there with gravity!

Once you have the lifters out, there's a little D-clip that you can finagle out with a screwdriver and you can dunk them in solvent. Many will remain stuck together, it is a tight fit and any sludge/gunk will hold them together, which naturally makes the tick.

You can run the engine real briefly with the cam cover off and tinfoil on the exhaust (naturally, rocker arms in place) to see if oil is getting to the top of the head. It should, plentifully.

You can see the cam with the rockers out (even with them in, albeit a restricted view) and see if it got damaged. Odds are, nope. The rockers have roller bottoms you can examine for good "rollability". Keep track of where you got each rocker so you could put them back in the same place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:36 AM   #7
compo1
compo1 is on a distinguished road

thanks for all the great replies...i forgot to mention when i posted the question but the timing chain was replaced last year at 125k ...so i tend to agree that it is a lifter or lifters....i'm going to give it a go in a couple of weeks...think i'll stsrt with the lifters and go from there......thanks again....compo1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to compo1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help compo1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
compo1 is offline   Reply With Quote