SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2018, 09:11 PM   #1
jpsuli
jpsuli is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default 2nd Gen Interior Center Console Handle 3D Print Model

Hi Folks,

If you have a 2nd gen Saturn Armrest youll know those handles suck. They usually break at the circular ends. Last night I threw something together in Inventor and had it 3D Printed.

There are some improvements to be made, like making the supports on the circular joints much larger and indenting the space for the metal spring so it fits properly.

Here are the results:
saturncc.JPG
saturnccc.jpg

Here is the file:STEP.

If you print these, ENSURE YOU HAVE 100% FILL! These will break like toothpicks if you do not!

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 134k

Breakin' stuff as we go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2018, 10:22 PM   #2
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
Default Re: 2nd Gen Interior Center Console Handle 3D Print Model

I 3D printed a coin holder a while back since I didn't have one and thought it would be cool to make. It turned out pretty well, I made the hooks a little to long but i just fixed it with velcro, didn't really feel like printing another one. Problem was though that I made it when it was still cold outside. Once the weather warmed up and the car started to get 90+ degrees inside, the plastic didn't hold up to well. I'm pretty sure it only warped like that was because of the weight from the coins dragging it down due to the plastic being soft from the heat. It probably be fine today if i never put any coins in it but then what would be the point of making it, lol

Hopefully your thing holds up better than my thing did, it probably will though sense its not really holding any weight.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...59#post2265759
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...62#post2271362
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3139.jpg (46.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3740.jpg (28.6 KB, 15 views)

Feeling 22
1997 SL2, 109K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:36 PM   #3
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Defiantly keep us updated though on if you make any future revisions. I'l love to have one printed

Feeling 22
1997 SL2, 109K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2018, 11:27 PM   #4
jpsuli

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
I 3D printed a coin holder a while back since I didn't have one and thought it would be cool to make. It turned out pretty well, I made the hooks a little to long but i just fixed it with velcro, didn't really feel like printing another one. Problem was though that I made it when it was still cold outside. Once the weather warmed up and the car started to get 90+ degrees inside, the plastic didn't hold up to well. I'm pretty sure it only warped like that was because of the weight from the coins dragging it down due to the plastic being soft from the heat. It probably be fine today if i never put any coins in it but then what would be the point of making it, lol

Hopefully your thing holds up better than my thing did, it probably will though sense its not really holding any weight.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...59#post2265759
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...62#post2271362
Did you use PLA or ABS? I would agree that the added weight probably caused the warping. I've never had experience with 3D printed models warping, though I never had them in a car on a 100+ degree day! I am making models from PLA but will be able to do ABS later, hopeful the ABS will stand up to much high heat without warping.

Second revision will be made tonight, hopefully I can fix the small issues on the first batch. Starting October, I should be able to make these in bulk, hopefully I can send them to members here, as i know not many have 3D printers that can be used.

The only issue I see is that the metal spring will differ depending on where people source it from, I may try to make the spring from something else that can easily be replicated.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 134k

Breakin' stuff as we go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2018, 11:52 PM   #5
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuli View Post
Did you use PLA or ABS? I would agree that the added weight probably caused the warping. I've never had experience with 3D printed models warping, though I never had them in a car on a 100+ degree day! I am making models from PLA but will be able to do ABS later, hopeful the ABS will stand up to much high heat without warping.

Second revision will be made tonight, hopefully I can fix the small issues on the first batch. Starting October, I should be able to make these in bulk, hopefully I can send them to members here, as i know not many have 3D printers that can be used.

The only issue I see is that the metal spring will differ depending on where people source it from, I may try to make the spring from something else that can easily be replicated.
Honestly, I have no idea what kind of plastic was used. I asked the CAD teacher at my school if he could print it for me. Never thought of asking at the time, really should have though. I feel like it was PLA with how brittle the thinner prints always where. There was a "normal" printer and a resin printer but I know it wasn't made with that one. Resin is more brittle than PLA anyway

Feeling 22
1997 SL2, 109K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-17-2018, 06:01 AM   #6
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

As this technology expands, we should be printing almost any needed part in the future. The $$ to be made will most likely be in the raw materials, much like the expensive ink cartridges for the color printers we buy today.

Printing up a good top engine mount is still a few years away.

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #7
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enoughblue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
More like a few thousand years. Plastic is one thing, but printing steel , aluminum and rubber for general consumer use......

They didnt even have that in, Back to the future ;-)

92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:24 PM   #8
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I agree a Saturn engine mount would be hard to print. But on Sonexbuilders forums there is a guy printing airplane engine mount bushings. At work we bought 3D printed metal parts. The future is closer than it ever has been!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:39 PM   #9
Zeebins

1997 SL2

I know metal can be printed on a consumer level based on pretty much every online 3D printing services I look at. It's always the most expensive, that little latch for example was $30 on one website I looked at vs 5-7 for PLA or ABS plastic, but definitely possible. As for rubber, that's not currently possible with the technology we have now. Rubber doesn't heat up nicely like plastic or metal, it likes to burn when heated rather than melt into a formable shape like plastic. So one day we'll probably be able to make metal as inexpencive as plastic parts as technology improves and all that stuff. (Look how expensive it was to get a basic plastic 3D printer 10 years ago!) Rubber for a mount though will probably be a little while out.

Feeling 22
1997 SL2, 109K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-17-2018, 11:09 PM   #10
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

The Sonex guys print bushings using ninjaflex.
http://www.sonexbuilders.net/viewtop...bushing#p30025

https://ninjatek.com

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:21 AM   #11
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

I made a handle out of galvanized steel, works well but is too bulky. Once I am at college in a week or two I'll print your version. Especially since it looks so much nicer and will probably work better than clunky metal.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #12
Zeebins

1997 SL2

How do you put the new latch in? Maybe it would be obvious if I had a part next to it but I haven't printed one yet and I never had an old one to reference to.

Feeling 22
1997 SL2, 109K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #13
jpsuli

1997 SL2

Revision 2 has been made, will print it on Monday. The original design won't fit without modifications as the supports are actually too long, something like .01 inch. The new design also creates an indent so the metal clip from an original can stay clipped in.

In order to install these, there are 4 screws under the armrest that once taken out you must forcefully remove the plastic from (expect broken clips from the brittle plastic). That's it to get to the latch.

I'd upload the file but I'm on mobile right now.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 134k

Breakin' stuff as we go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2018, 04:42 PM   #14
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuli View Post
Hi Folks,

If you have a 2nd gen Saturn Armrest youll know those handles suck. They usually break at the circular ends. Last night I threw something together in Inventor and had it 3D Printed.

There are some improvements to be made, like making the supports on the circular joints much larger and indenting the space for the metal spring so it fits properly.

Here are the results:
Attachment 53915
Attachment 53916

Here is the file:STEP.

If you print these, ENSURE YOU HAVE 100% FILL! These will break like toothpicks if you do not!
I think you just 3D Printed the most expensive part out of the entire CAR for a second gen interior......lolol.

The 2nd Gen Console handle/door hinge are the only part of a Saturn with a higher failure rate than Chrysler automatic transmissions......and THAT is not easy task.....lolol

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #15
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
As this technology expands, we should be printing almost any needed part in the future. The $$ to be made will most likely be in the raw materials, much like the expensive ink cartridges for the color printers we buy today.

Standard manufacturing should still be lucrative for the upper mounts. We just need to find a shop or company willing to make them, because they will certainly sell.

The FLAPS replacement designs and brands are horrible for longevity, compared to original design. I wouldn't think they would be difficult to mass produce.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:31 PM   #16
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Now that I'm thinking about it, why is the top mount so hard to replicate anyway? It's essentially just a slab of rubber with some metal around it, seems fairly simple. The OE mount must be using a really premium quality rubber or something if all the aftermarket mounts aren't anywhere near as good.

Feeling 22
1997 SL2, 109K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2018, 01:46 PM   #17
jpsuli

1997 SL2

Got revision 2 printed and it worked perfectly. Again, if you are printing these yourself, ensure its 100% fill and you may need to get a knife and poke out any gunk in the whole. I was quoted 20 dollars locally to do this print in black, because I only had white, so I just did white. If you need one of these printed and shipped or a key, you can PM me for the center console. I can begin making them mid-September.

center_console.jpg

Revisions made:
-Made the supports shorter, if you print the first one it will not fit without modification to the center armrest, this fixes that.
-A thinner hole for the metal spring, and an indent, so now if the spring is in the hole it will stay there
-made the clip that goes into the second piece longer, this allows the clip to lock properly with the *click* noise.
-Made the arc for the tip of the handle have a smaller radius so it'll have support for lower end printers.

Saturn2.JPG

Download STP File Link

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 134k

Breakin' stuff as we go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2018, 09:34 PM   #18
cgg17

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

Do you have the drawing sheets for it, like cross sectioned with dimensions? We only have solid-works at school, and I'd like to possibly try and print one and ditch my metal bracket...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-22-2018, 10:52 PM   #19
jpsuli

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg17 View Post
Do you have the drawing sheets for it, like cross sectioned with dimensions? We only have solid-works at school, and I'd like to possibly try and print one and ditch my metal bracket...
Yes, I have a little notebook sketch with dimensions at work, I can get that the day after tomorrow (day off).

I use inventor, I believe Inventor is free to students provided you have a student email.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 134k

Breakin' stuff as we go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-23-2018, 09:17 AM   #20
cgg17

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

Ill try downloading inventor, Ill do the sign up with my school. I am going to try to design door handles for the 1st gens, as mine are worn and floppy...
We should compile a list of things that can be printed, and work away it it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!