SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2018, 09:00 PM   #5541
1996SW2
1996SW2 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

New battery. Surprised I got three years out of that one. Arizona heat is tough on batteried unless you go super high end wet, gel or agm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2018, 09:05 AM   #5542
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Yesterday Adam replaced the wiper motor. We had to tweak the indexing a bit after. Works good now and parks reliably. While we had the plastic off, blew out the washer passages. They have not sprayed this well in years! Last thing was I lubed the ignition lock with silicone. It had been sticking in so the chime would sound when the door was open.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:20 PM   #5543
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Last thing was I lubed the ignition lock with silicone. It had been sticking in so the chime would sound when the door was open.
My "Door" Chime is also on. The fast one, not the "slow ignition on" one.

With nothing on, it chimes fast with the door open. Push the driver's door button in and it goes off.

I sprayed Silicone lube in the ignition & the small hole in the door button.

Chime is gone!

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #5544
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcher View Post
My "Door" Chime is also on. The fast one, not the "slow ignition on" one.

With nothing on, it chimes fast with the door open. Push the driver's door button in and it goes off.

I sprayed Silicone lube in the ignition & the small hole in the door button.

Chime is gone!

Wellllll......... That didn't last long.

Chime came back.

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #5545
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Changed the fuel filter today. I thought it was the original but apparently it was replaced at some point in 2001 with a fram filter. May not be as old as I was expecting but that's still 60-70k miles on it.

Feeling 22
1997 SL2, 109K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #5546
87z16
87z16 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
See, I know how to take it off and I've tried to once before to get at the window regulator. The problem is that one of the bolts is rounded and some of the others on both sides just spin due to the tabs they screw into snapping. That's why I'm too sure how to get it off. I was thinking bolt cutters but I have no idea how those work so idk if they'd be right for this situation or not.
sorry, for the late response.

would a bolt extractor work, the reverse drill type, and then just get new bolts?

99 SL2 maroon/beige
99 SL2 maroon/black
87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe --- maroon/maroon - completely stock
85 Monte Carlo SS --- silver/maroon - not stock

tom

http://www.motortopia.com/87z16

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 87z16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 87z16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
87z16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #5547
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

The plastic door tabs bust. I've lost 3 or 4 of mine. Benefit: more rattles.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-18-2018, 02:27 PM   #5548
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87z16 View Post
sorry, for the late response.

would a bolt extractor work, the reverse drill type, and then just get new bolts?
Hmm, bolt extractor. I've never heard of that before. I'll have to look into it.

Feeling 22
1997 SL2, 109K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-18-2018, 03:28 PM   #5549
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

Quote:
The plastic door tabs bust. I've lost 3 or 4 of mine. Benefit: more rattles.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234708

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:41 PM   #5550
Waiex191

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

The bolts are fine, it is what they are screwing into. A clip nut on a plastic tab. Screw extractors won't work here.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2018, 07:09 PM   #5551
Zeebins

1997 SL2

So, if a bolt extractor won't work, does anyone have a link to another thread on how to remove these screws that just spin? (plus the one that's rounded off, but that's another problem) I know I'm not the first person to have this problem but all the threads I find from google searching are about what to do about the broken tabs once the panel is already off.

Feeling 22
1997 SL2, 109K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #5552
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

No link to original post makes a How-To accomplish this specific removal exercise close to impossible.

What you have to do is counter balance the inward force of the diving tool(nut driver or screw driver) with a slightly greater outward force.This is either pointed 90 degree bend sharp pointed or a thin flexible blade. A bent paper clip with a flattened end sometimes works or your extensive collection of dental implements. Exert out pressure and turn fastener in undo direction while applying just enough pressure to maintain engagement. A loop of dental floss under the head of a fastener located in a recess works as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #5553
Waiex191

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Once all the bolts either come off or break the tabs, you can remove the skin. Then hold the clip nut with pliers and remove the torx bolt. Someday I'll fiberglass up my busted tabs.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #5554
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Quote:
Once all the bolts either come off or break the tabs, you can remove the skin. Then hold the clip nut with pliers and remove the torx bolt. Someday I'll fiberglass up my busted tabs.
Now that you say that, that's really stupid obvious. If the clip is broken, it's not like the screw is holding the panel on anyway. Probably would have discovered that too if I continued removing the rest of the screws that day rather than just stoping when I thought I wouldn't be able to get it off anyway. Thanks for the help guys!

Feeling 22
1997 SL2, 109K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #5555
Waiex191

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Driving lesson for the younger son. First time out of the neighborhood driving the 5 speed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg driving lesson.jpg (88.3 KB, 74 views)

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2018, 07:08 AM   #5556
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
Now that you say that, that's really stupid obvious. If the clip is broken, it's not like the screw is holding the panel on anyway. Probably would have discovered that too if I continued removing the rest of the screws that day rather than just stoping when I thought I wouldn't be able to get it off anyway. Thanks for the help guys!
If and when I have to do this again I'm likely going to drill out the heads and replace the bolts and retainer clips. Fixing broken polymer panels is never fun or easy.

2001 SL1 MT (417,500 km @ 05/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (260,870 km @ 05/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (111,176 km @ 05/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:20 PM   #5557
Yerboogieman
Yerboogieman is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1993 SC2

Cleaned up the transmission on a mint White Hot a bought. Clutch swap, and I'm gonna need to get a new ignition cylinder. Needs a fender and a cut and buff but it should be good as new.

Went to Pick N Pull yesterday. *******s wanted $50 for some shift cables. These ones feel tight, but I think they're just incorrectly installed by the previous owner.

93 SC2 M/T 224k Power Everything! :D
94 SL2 A/T 274k Sold to scrap
99 SC1 M/T 162k
97 SC2 M/T 102k
97 SL1 M/T 188k Sold Bad Valve
Aluminum valve covers all around
NGK plugs for all

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yerboogieman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yerboogieman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Yerboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:51 AM   #5558
silentdude56k
silentdude56k is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2
2002 SL2
Dazed Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

This is a list of things I planned on doing over the past one and a half months. Successes in green and didn't-get-to-its in black:
  • Oil change
  • Air filter change
  • Rear strut assemblies
  • Transmission fluid change
  • Input shaft nut torque check
  • Transmission side plate reinstallation
  • Front strut assemblies
  • Inner tie rods
  • Outer tie rods
  • Control arms
  • Battery replacement (Costco batteries suck)
  • Rear disc conversion
  • Fuel filter replacement (might be original - I really should take care of this )
Oh yeah, and dumpster fires in red, with casualties of my by-then-evaporated will to continue wrenching in orange (taken care of by a mechanic).

The plan was to do all of the above work myself since it's all more or less within my comfort zone (thanks to this community ). Everything went more or less smoothly until I got to the transmission fluid change.

Now, a few years ago when I did this last I learned that King Kong had previously had his way with my transmission drain plug - it took far too much effort to break loose and brought with it a short piece of aluminum thread. At that time I was able to carefully thread the plug back in finger tight, then popped a wrench on the end and, without straining them at all, used two fingers to apply pressure.

That held up just fine until I removed the plug for the latest change. The rest of the threads just wrapped themselves around the drain plug this time. Woo! Oh well, it was impressive that the threads lasted that long in such poor shape. I know someone that can help me out with this, and the worst case is I call up AAA and get it towed.

The old strut assemblies were a safety liability and absolutely had to be replaced, and the boots on the tie rods and control arms were all ripped. Everything here was probably original. Since I knew I'd need an alignment anyway, I decided to check on my input shaft nut while I had the strut assembly out of the way. My car previously had the reverse slam issue for a few months before getting a rebuilt valve body from Special Forces, so it seemed like a good idea to check on it.

After some jack placement and subframe bolt loosening I was able to get the side plate of the transmission off without much fuss. The nut was nice and tight! I did baby the transmission until I got the rebuilt valve body installed, though. (Protip: When shifting out of P, shift into R for about a second before continuing into N and waiting there for a few seconds before shifting back into R. This toned down the slam until I fixed it. You can thank me later.)

At this point it was nearly midnight and I had work the next day, so I was doing my best to hurry things along while getting more and more tired. And of course, the thin little tubes just did not want to go back into the transmission even while I was spinning the wheel. Another protip: It turns out that you need to have the transmission in N, not P, for the tubes to go in nice and smoothly.

You thought I was going to bend the tubes, didn't you? I didn't! What I did next was much dumber.

In my tired and rushed state of mind thought it was a fine idea to use a $40 Tekton torque wrench with a ridiculous 10-150 lb/ft range on, what, 20-something lb/ft 10mm bolts that I should have just snugged down? The wrench clicked at what felt like ballpark torque on the first bolt. The second went something like this: "Hmm, isn't this getting kind of tigh-" BANG

I dropped everything, sat down, closed my eyes, focused on my breathing for about 15 minutes, then pulled out my phone and watched a couple of funny videos on YouTube. I snugged the rest of the side plate bolts, snugged the subframe bolts, put the old front strut assemblies back on, and went to bed.

This post is getting way too long, so I'll wrap it up:
  1. Found a mechanic willing to deal with the transmission drain hole and the snapped bolt
  2. Decided to have him just take care of the inner and outer tie rods, control arms, and front struts as well, because I was now willing to throw money at this to make it go away
  3. The transmission isn't leaking!
I actually took the car on a ~2000 mile round trip road trip from just south of the San Francisco Bay Area all the way up and around the Portland and Seattle areas to visit friends and family. Maybe that was a bit stupid after having that much transmission trouble with a 300k+ mile 25 year old car, but it worked great! I calculated 34.7 MPG when I stopped for gas just south of Redding, and I may have been going 80-85 MPH for much of that tank

I just hit 310k miles this weekend too

P.S.: Does anyone know what's wrong with my tachometer? It seems like the colder the weather is the lower the thing reads. You can see it a little in my odometer photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transmission_stripped.jpg (36.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg broken_1_cropped.jpg (136.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg broken_2_cropped.jpg (165.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 310k_cropped.jpg (202.2 KB, 11 views)

Purple 1994 SW2 auto. 310k+ miles. Head gasket replaced due to an overheat at ~261k. Timing chain replaced for good measure. Passes California smog testing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silentdude56k's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silentdude56k reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silentdude56k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #5559
Zeebins

1997 SL2

I tried repainting the panel that runs between the roof and doors. They where all faded and didn't really look that good to me so I thought it would be easy to repaint. I sanded them down to the bare plastic, primed, top coated, and clear coated. 24 hours later and it really didn't look that great. The top half was okay but the bottom half had a bunch of random dark spots and white dots. I'm not sure how well it comes across in the picture but it's looks kinda awful in person. Even after wet sanding and polishing to try and make it shiny they're still there. That annoyed me a little bit but when I peeled the tape off that I had masking the fender below it, it completely peeled the old clear coat off with it. At that point, I was pretty annoyed. I may not have really liked how the panel I tried painting turned out but I could live with it. Once I peeled off that tape though and I saw that, i knew I just made the car look worse than it did before I started and there wasn't an easy way to fix it.

Overall, I can't do body work to save my life. I was going to repaint the others at some point but after how this one came out, I don't really want to.

I originally wanted to try and clean up the paint myself over getting new panels from a doner car because I didn't want to lose the pinstripe. I do really like the pinstripe but at this point, I really don't care anymore if I lose it. Its just fading too and it's not like I can do much to save that.

I really need a super cheap parts car or something I can just pull panels from. The two junkyards near me have a good amount of saturns but none of them are the right color. There is a wagon in the right color but there's also an Aura sitting on top of it, making pulling panels from it a little difficult.

Maaaan I just want to make my Saturn look nice again. There isn't one panel on the car (except for the roof, trunk, and front bumper) that isn't scratched, chipped, cracked, or faded in some way.

Anyway, sorry about my little rant, hope your days going better than mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4459.jpg (183.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4460.jpg (201.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4461.jpg (100.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4462.jpg (193.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4464.jpg (88.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4463.jpg (205.1 KB, 12 views)

Feeling 22
1997 SL2, 109K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #5560
ErikTande
ErikTande will become famous soon enough

edit nm, i can't read lol

http://www.youtube.com/velocitylabs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ErikTande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ErikTande is offline   Reply With Quote