SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2008, 12:42 PM   #81
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL
Default Re: A/C questions upon installation of compressor

You know, even if the O-ring didn't fall inside the compressor or popped out as I took the line out and I just couldn't find it----taking the dang thing apart is worth the peace of mind!

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #82
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, outside of Pep Boys exchanging yours for another one, sending Proliance your address and waiting for a new set of cover gasket/O-ring and O-ring for the line, you couldn't be in any better position than at the Mexican facility for an up-close tech support staff. It seems that Proliance wants to help out in any way they can for good customer relations. After all, if something should go terribly wrong (just speculating on the worst outcome) with disassembling the rear cover and a return for replacement is needed, I'm of the opinion that Proliance would replace it, no questions asked, since you were forthcoming with your dilemma and asked their advice. I'd take them up on their offer for a set of anything to help you when removing the rear cover to assure reassembly for a pressure-proof seal. There's nothing like having some peace of mind as long as this isn't beyond your abilities dealing with disassembling and reassembling for re-use. Go for it and take your time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:35 PM   #83
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
There's nothing like having some peace of mind as long as this isn't beyond your abilities dealing with disassembling and reassembling for re-use. Go for it and take your time.
Yes, just looking at the assembly, it seems to be just a bunch of bolts and a gasket! Not sure how I'm going to get such a small torque though. I will take my time and do it when I'm in the right frame of mind----taking the time, in a very clean environment. Thanks again for your help and I'll post when I get the parts.

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2008, 06:53 PM   #84
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That level of torque is easy to produce. Use a nut driver and an even hand pressure. The cover draws down tight against the metal of the compressor and that compresses the o-ring. So you work across and around the bolts and when 2 fingers and a thumb is as tight as you can get them you use your hand and make sure they are snug. Those must be close to #10 fasteners. Draw it down evenly. Do not try and use the lower range of any torque wrench.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #85
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
That level of torque is easy to produce. Use a nut driver and an even hand pressure. The cover draws down tight against the metal of the compressor and that compresses the o-ring. So you work across and around the bolts and when 2 fingers and a thumb is as tight as you can get them you use your hand and make sure they are snug. Those must be close to #10 fasteners. Draw it down evenly. Do not try and use the lower range of any torque wrench.
I put the gasket on dry, without any type of "dressing"? And I do have a large torque wrench that has inch pounds but like you said, I won't rely on that. (Bought it at the flea market---oy) There are at least two different sizes of nuts on the compressor end and they are both Torx (a sloppy #30 and #40) Can't believe that's all the torque those nuts need!!! I still hope the gasket kit comes with detailed directions. Since it is a "kit" I think it probably will. Thanks for your help.

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2008, 08:18 PM   #86
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The force of the o-ring holds the screws in place. Hand tight does it just fine. A light coat of mineral oil and you are done. you could go buy a low range 1/4" drive wrench if you wanted. Use about 40 inch-pounds for a setting. The o-ring kit will most likely not have any instructions as it is a factory only component.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:31 PM   #87
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Don't count on any instructions (not trying to burst your bubble). When tightening several screws that are evenly spaced around a cover that also serves to seal against pressure, the criss-cross star pattern of tightening a little at a time (just like the lug nuts on a tire) ensures even pressure is distributed around the cover and dry gasket whether its an O-ring or flat membrane/rubberized type. The act of progressively tightening in a star pattern just allows sandwiching the cover and compressor body against the gasket for a perfect seal. No overtorqueing is ever required as more screws are used; the force of each screw is spread out by the rigidity of the cover so if more screws are used there's less torque needed per screw since the screw force is spreading across a smaller area. Some finesse is needed here as this is an aluminum body. Feel the torque required to loosen each screw and guesstimate the same amount in reverse. You never want to strip any threads in this case.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:58 PM   #88
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

I just may take a trip to my favorite flea market for an inch/pound torque wrench or look on FleaBay. But I've tightened bolts in the past by "feeling" how hard they were to take off in the beginning.

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #89
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The seal is from the compressed o-ring. The screws need to be tight enough that they do not back out. The 2 fingers and a thumb on a torx driver does quite well and you have 2 sets of them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2008, 07:59 AM   #90
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Haven't received the gasket from Prolience yet---don't know if they will follow through or not. In case they don't can someone suggest a type of gasket material I could buy, using the old gasket as a template to make a new one? Thanks,

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2008, 10:50 AM   #91
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Have you e-mailed them again asking about the gasket? They may have lost the "interoffice memo" and may simply need a reminder of their promise of support.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2008, 11:09 AM   #92
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Have you e-mailed them again asking about the gasket? They may have lost the "interoffice memo" and may simply need a reminder of their promise of support.
Yes, emailed a few days ago and they said they were glad I "reminded" them so I hope they come through but you never know.

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-03-2008, 05:38 AM   #93
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Well, after not receiving a reply to two emails, and not finding a gasket after Googling, I am starting to look into "Plan B"----that is, making my own gasket. So, does anyone know what kind of gasket material and how thick it should be, so I can cut my own? (I assume I can simply use the old gasket that's on the compressor as a template.) Thanks for any info.

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #94
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Its unfortunate that Proliance never followed up after the initial e-mail, promising replacement gaskets but its time to move on. Perhaps you may have better customer service if you try ackits.com? Their website advertises seal/gasket kits and is certainly worth a call to see if they can help. When you get on their site their phone number is off to the top right and scrolling down the left side of the page you'll see a tab marked 'Shaft seals and gasket kits'. Maybe there's a set of gaskets that will fit your compressor. I'm sure there are other sites like this but it will take some effort to find them and track down the gaskets you'll need unless one of these friendly sites can offer advice about opening the compressor, retrieving the O-ring and re-using the original gasket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-04-2008, 12:41 AM   #95
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Perhaps you may have better customer service if you try ackits.com? .
Thanks, fdryer, I'll give them a try.

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-09-2008, 07:22 PM   #96
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Well, went to NAPA and bought some gasket material and will cut my own. I bought some Fel-Pro Darropak 1/32" gasket material and have a couple of emails sent to find out if I can use this material in a compressor. The description says,
"Karropak Sheet Material, 1/32"
This pliable, chemically-treated fibrous sheet packing is designed for use in sealing oil, water, and gasoline applications."
So I'm hoping it is good for compressors. I'll post if I get any info. Thanks,

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:09 PM   #97
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Got an email from Proliance telling me that the Fel-Pro gasket material is okay to use in my compressor. Hot dog. Ready to go and after I get everything back together and the system charged, I'll post to report any leaks. Got all fingers and toes crossed.

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #98
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'll be waiting..............right here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #99
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
I'll be waiting..............right here.
Great! Thanks again for all your help with this, fdryer. Maybe, sometime, some other stooge (like me) will lose an o-ring inside their compressor----and these posts may answer some questions. This will take time cause I have other obligations right now but I want to get this done in the next week or two. Later---------

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-31-2008, 06:06 PM   #100
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Hey fdryer-----going to be working on the compressor in the next week of so and have a question, if you're "near-by". I've had a new drier for the system for about 3 months, or ever since the system was "down". It's been in my trunk but it has plastic caps on the two ends, to keep out moisture. Question is, the caps don't seem all that tight and I'm wondering if the drier would still be good to use, as far as still being closed from outside air, etc.? Thanks for any info.

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!