SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2008, 10:47 AM   #41
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: A/C questions upon installation of compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHughes View Post
Well then this question comes up. If the O-ring wouldn't be seated until the system gets pressurized, will the suction line still feel "not tight" or be able to be moved a little as it is now---after it's torqued down? Thanks,

Jerry
Line will be tight. The idea is to get the O-ring to roll into place as the tube goes in. You do not want to slide it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #42
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Line will be tight. The idea is to get the O-ring to roll into place as the tube goes in. You do not want to slide it.
Thanks, will do. Should I also re-do the other line that's on the compressor too or leave it installed the way I've done it by putting the O-ring on the line itself and then inserting it into the compressor hole?

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:05 AM   #43
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My understanding is that O-rings seal immediately and not wait for a vacuum or pressure to seat. Applying a vacuum to an unseated O-ring is already a leak. The same for applying pressure if a seal hasn't occurred, a leak. Oil can't be used to help seal it but used to allow easier placement and not bind or twist in place. There shouldn't be any looseness in the fitting once bolted and you'll have to try what Oldnuc suggested; place the O-ring into the opening of the fitting and slowly push the hose line block into place before bolting it. The fitting should seat firmly then.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #44
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHughes View Post
Thanks, will do. Should I also re-do the other line that's on the compressor too or leave it installed the way I've done it by putting the O-ring on the line itself and then inserting it into the compressor hole?

Jerry
Just went out and looked. The block that the tube is mounted in is tight against the back of the compressor and does not move. If there is a o-ring grove at the back of the fitting place the o-ring on the tube about the thickness of the o-ring in front of the grove. Lube properly and insert the assembly into the compressor being careful to insure the o-ring starts into the compressor bore straight. Use a small screwdriver to coax it into cooperation. When you push it in the o-ring will roll into the grove and not get pinched.

This is much easier to do than to explain.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #45
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
My understanding is that O-rings seal immediately and not wait for a vacuum or pressure to seat. Applying a vacuum to an unseated O-ring is already a leak. The same for applying pressure if a seal hasn't occurred, a leak. Oil can't be used to help seal it but used to allow easier placement and not bind or twist in place. There shouldn't be any looseness in the fitting once bolted and you'll have to try what Oldnuc suggested; place the O-ring into the opening of the fitting and slowly push the hose line block into place before bolting it. The fitting should seat firmly then.
Thanks, fdryer, will do.

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #46
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Just went out and looked. The block that the tube is mounted in is tight against the back of the compressor and does not move. If there is a o-ring grove at the back of the fitting place the o-ring on the tube about the thickness of the o-ring in front of the grove. Lube properly and insert the assembly into the compressor being careful to insure the o-ring starts into the compressor bore straight. Use a small screwdriver to coax it into cooperation. When you push it in the o-ring will roll into the grove and not get pinched.

This is much easier to do than to explain.
That smaller connection is tight as it is. But when I took the old O-ring off the line, I noticed it was NOT all the way back to the shoulder, at the back of the seat. And there is no groove on this smaller line. I will go to the dealer again, look at their drawings just to make sure they gave me the correct size O-rings, and install two new O-rings, allowing them to seat themselves. Thank you for the info!

(I can now see why anything involving air conditioning is so expensive. You're paying for knowledge!!!!)

Jerry

Last edited by JerryHughes; 09-18-2008 at 11:42 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2008, 12:47 PM   #47
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Education is always expensive.

If there is no grove then put the ring on the tube and gently convince it to enter the housing and let roll to wherever it wants to be.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2008, 01:45 PM   #48
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

UPDATE: I had it back-ac-wards. The small tube has the groove, the large does not. Well, knowing that, I tried to put the O-ring in the large suction line hole, right at the end of the hole where there was an indentation, then work the tube from the line into the hole and O-ring. I thought I had it okay, easing it in ever so gently. I decided to back out the tube a hair, just to see if the O-ring was in its place and when I did, I couldn't see the O-ring! Yes, the COTTIN PICKIN O-RING IS NOW SITTING SOMEWHERE INSIDE THE COMPRESSOR! So, I tried to fish it out with a small wire and flashlight but I can't even see it. So, I'm currently in the process of taking the compressor off the car to see if I can dig the O-ring out of it.

When I try to reinstall the O-ring over again, in both holes, I will put it on the end of the tube, then gently move it into the holes. But when I tried that, the large O-ring snapped all the way back to the narrow end of the tube, right where it was setting on my first try. But I'll try again. And with the small tube, I'll start that on the end of the tube, then move the tube into the hole. I'll re-post shortly.

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #49
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The large tube will do that and is OK if it does. You just have to get the O ring tucked in. The end of a tie wrap makes a good tool for getting them where they ate supposed to be. If the tube is tapered it is designed so that the o-ring should roll all the way back. But it also should be in the hole.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #50
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
The large tube will do that and is OK if it does. You just have to get the O ring tucked in. The end of a tie wrap makes a good tool for getting them where they ate supposed to be. If the tube is tapered it is designed so that the o-ring should roll all the way back. But it also should be in the hole.
Yes, I've been using a twist-tie to hopefully, fish the O-ring out of the compressor. And I know what you mean by "tucking" the O-ring into the hole. After the ring slides all the way down on the tube, it does not fit into the hole so some tucking will be needed. I'll keep trying. Thanks. Back to the job!

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #51
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Unable to locate the O-ring anywhere inside the compressor! The compressor is off the car, I emptied the oil but can't locate. I looked around the ground and inside the engine compartment to see if it actually flew off but can't find it. If I can't find the ring, will that kill my compressor if it is actually inside?

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #52
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Which company makes the compressor and can you find their website for a cutaway/exploded diagram of the inlet? Google compressor parts, anything related to seeing what's inside to have an idea of where the O-ring may have gone? Perhaps you didn't put one in?

Put up some pictures of the area, maybe there's a possibility that if you have the O-ring inside you can carefully disassemble only what's necessary to retrieve the O-ring and reassemble without losing the integrity of the compressor. Think it over as a last resort. Any compressor will have gaskets/seals for adjoining parts. If it has a rear case cover surrounded by mounting bolts, this may be removeable to find the O-ring sitting inside.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #53
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Which company makes the compressor and can you find their website for a cutaway/exploded diagram of the inlet? Google compressor parts, anything related to seeing what's inside to have an idea of where the O-ring may have gone? Perhaps you didn't put one in?

Put up some pictures of the area, maybe there's a possibility that if you have the O-ring inside you can carefully disassemble only what's necessary to retrieve the O-ring and reassemble without losing the integrity of the compressor. Think it over as a last resort. Any compressor will have gaskets/seals for adjoining parts. If it has a rear case cover surrounded by mounting bolts, this may be removeable to find the O-ring sitting inside.
I will look for the website for drawings to this Proliance compressor. The part number on my receipt from Pep Boys is #2388 but that may only be a Pep Boys reference number. And yes, on the suction end, only a couple of inches from the suction hole there are quite a few bolts and a large gasket that assembles that end of the compressor. So, if I can't get the ring out by any other means I will have to disassemble that end of the compressor. I'm going to email the company too to get suggestions and possibly a replacement gasket and torque specs.

Also, I took the compressor off and tried to flush the suction end out with PAG oil, thinking that the ring may be stuck to an inside wall where I can't see it from the open hole. But that didn't work and I still can't see the ring. I was thinking that I could flush it out using mineral oil but better not because I doubt I could get all or enough of that back out.

After, I put the compressor back on the car so I could still use the car. I took my garden hose and flushed the immediate engine area with water, hoping to knock the washer out of a crevice, etc., where I may have missed it. I moved the car and looked around very well but no O-ring. I'll post photos if I can find them. Thanks,

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #54
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That is a very complex compressor and I would suspect that the guarantee is void if you take it apart.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #55
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Was not successful in finding a drawing of the compressor. #2388 is the correct part number for Proliance but still, nothing from Google. I did email the company, telling them of the lost O-ring and hope I get an answer. Will re-post if I hear from them on the best way to extract. Thanks,

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #56
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
That is a very complex compressor and I would suspect that the guarantee is void if you take it apart.
Yes, if I hear from the company, I'm sure they will tell me the same thing---unless I send the unit back to the factory.

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #57
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ask ackits.com. for advice. I'm searching the Pep Boys website. Never mind, unable to work their site.

Last edited by fdryer; 09-18-2008 at 07:00 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:06 PM   #58
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Is this the compressor? Found it here; http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Proliance 2388 for Saturn SL 97.jpg (15.4 KB, 10 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #59
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Ask ackits.com. for advice. I'm searching the Pep Boys website. Never mind, unable to work their site.
Will do. I didn't have any luck with Pep Boys site either. Thanks,

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #60
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Is this the compressor? Found it here; http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's it. Still can't find any schematics for it though. Gee, it looks like I got a better deal at Pep Boys! (About $200 plus tax.) But by the time I'm done fishing that O-ring out of the works, that price will go up. Thanks,

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!