SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2002, 07:17 PM   #1
OvenRude
OvenRude is on a distinguished road

Default Iceman intake installation questions (2)

Ok I just installed the iceman cold air intake, and have two quick questions that have poped up.

#1 - Where should the air sensor go, there is no where that I have seen to put it, and the instructions never even mensioned it.

#2 - Will this intake be affected by water if it were to rain since it is in the open?

Thanks much!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OvenRude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OvenRude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2002, 08:05 PM   #2
Sam96SL2
Sam96SL2 is on a distinguished road

1. the sensor should go right after the filter on the intake tube...i dont know about the iceman but the hotshot is predrilled

2. nope

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sam96SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sam96SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-19-2002, 08:38 PM   #3
Tatusmi
Advanced Member
Tatusmi is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I don't know about rain... it should be fine. but I've been told that alot of water isn't good... it'll get sucked into your engine if there is alot of it... if you have it down too low (to the ground) or if it's nested right in a vent it might become a problem.

- Tatusmi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tatusmi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tatusmi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-20-2002, 12:58 AM   #4
TIMSPEED
Advanced Member
TIMSPEED is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1998 SW2

Well, if it's literally ON THE GROUND, and you start going driving through DEEP puddles, then the likelyhood of water getting sucked up is pretty good. But for a normal rain, and driving..you should be ok. It'd be pretty hard for water to climb ALL the way up that intake and into the motor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TIMSPEED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TIMSPEED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-20-2002, 06:20 AM   #5
OvenRude

Do you think that it would be okay to have the air temp sensor just near the filter? I think that should be fine, and not require me to drill a hole, I just don't want it to screw with the cars comp. chip and tell it that the air is messed up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OvenRude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-20-2002, 10:36 AM   #6
OvenRude

Ok, I just drove, and it smelled like an engine... yeah

Is the air temp sensor important enough to keep things cool for me to drill a hole in the side and stick it in there?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2002, 10:41 AM   #7
wingnut
wingnut is on a distinguished road

Default temp sensor

The more accurately the temp sensor is reading your air the better the computer can decide the right amount of fuel to put in. Drilling a hole is probably the most accurate but I have heard of several people putting it on or near the filter without any problems. As long as it is measuring the air going into the engine and not the air under the hood you should be alright.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wingnut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wingnut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-20-2002, 11:33 AM   #8
Yobos4vr
Yobos4vr is on a distinguished road

i thought the iceman was predrilled for the IAT sensor? also wasn't it drilled for a nitrous jet??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yobos4vr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yobos4vr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-20-2002, 09:51 PM   #9
OvenRude

There were no pre-drilled holes in the intake, I wish there was though. I know its nitrus compatible, and it did have the hosing connecter that goes into the engine.
I think I will just drill a hole in it and put some high temp sealant around it, since today I noticed that my temp guage would move up to middle within the first minute before settling at just above 1/4.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2002, 07:51 AM   #10
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Iceman intake installation questions (2)

Quote:
Originally posted by OvenRude
Ok I just installed the iceman cold air intake, and have two quick questions that have poped up.

#1 - Where should the air sensor go, there is no where that I have seen to put it, and the instructions never even mensioned it.

#2 - Will this intake be affected by water if it were to rain since it is in the open?

Thanks much!!
1. you need to drill a hole into it and screw it on, somewhere near the k&n filter on the end.
2. not unless you drive in water as deep as your headlights. don't go roaring though deep puddles.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2002, 07:53 AM   #11
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by Yobos4vr
i thought the iceman was predrilled for the IAT sensor? also wasn't it drilled for a nitrous jet??

no it's not. there is a flat spot where you can drill into it and insert a nossle.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!