SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #1
moogoogypan
moogoogypan has a spectacular aura aboutmoogoogypan has a spectacular aura aboutmoogoogypan has a spectacular aura about

Default binding front caliper resolved

Hey All,

Just want to give a little shout out to the Saturnalia community.

Was at wits end with the caliper on the front drivers side getting stuck and overheating. Replace wheel bearing and caliper to no avail. THEN did a thorough search through threads and found the REAL issue was with the rubber break line . Replaced the hose (a mere $25 part) and... problem solved.

THANK YOU!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to moogoogypan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help moogoogypan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
moogoogypan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: binding front caliper resolved

Very common problem.. Do both sides if you haven't done so yet..

Looks like you already replaced the wheel bearing, that usually the next item to go.

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:04 AM   #3
dcooke570
dcooke570 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

I’ve had the same problem. How hard was the hose replacement? Any links to other how tos?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcooke570's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcooke570 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcooke570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:27 AM   #4
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

Hose are fairly easy.

I like to make sure I can get everything lose before committing to the actual change. Just in case I need to torch something, or need to replace calipers, etc/.

First, Use a 6 point wrench and make sure the bleeder screw can be loosened. Loosen it, then re-snug it.

Second, I knock the hose connections lose, then re-snug them until I'm ready to do the actual change.

Before doing the actual change, top off the reservoir.. During the hose swap a small amount of fluid will drain. The goal is to do the swap before the fluid in the reservoir goes empty.. The less air in the lines, the easier the bleeding process.

Verify your new banjo washers are ready to go.

SWAP THE HOSE.

I do the banjo fitting first, that way when I do the top, the hose will be lined up and twisted correctly.

When you do the banjo, make sure the old washers came off and you installed new washers. tighten the hose connections and clips and install the retaining bolts for the hose mounts.

I do both sides, then bleed.

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
GearGuy
Advanced Member
GearGuy is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Nice timing. I think I am dealing with that same exact problem now.
Driver's side front is dragging. I've bled the line and lubed the guide pins. And I'm kicking myself for not making sure that the pads are not binding (duh). But I'm pretty sure they are not.
Hose looks perfectly fine from the outside. I bled the caliper by attaching a vacuum bleeder and cracking open the banjo bolt, then using a large C clamp to compress the pistons, which seemed to go without much trouble, so the caliper seemed fine. Then closed the banjo bolt. Caliper did not want to refill by pressing the brake pedal with the engine off, too much resistance it seemed. Run the engine and the brake booster helped push the fluid to the caliper. So I started suspecting something upstream of the caliper.

Which brand parts did you buy and from where? I'm hearing that a lot of the name brand suppliers are actually providing a Sunsong brand hose (printed along the length of the hose) in their box. You can get a Sunsong branded hose directly, which is the cheapest option on RockAuto.

2006 Vue 3.5L FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GearGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GearGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GearGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:12 AM   #6
GearGuy
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGuy View Post
I bled the caliper by attaching a vacuum bleeder and cracking open the banjo bolt,
Correction, ...cracking open the bleed screw,...

Replacing the hose did the trick. Purchased the hose at Napa. I think it was CCC brand (hard to make out) from China.

I'm having trouble with the body clip for the bracket that mounts to the inner fender well by being inserted into a rectangular hole. It has deteriorated and does not want to firmly hold the bracket anymore. Has anyone found a replacement source for the clip?

2006 Vue 3.5L FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help GearGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2018, 09:39 AM   #7
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

I wonder if replacing the line wasn’t necessary. I solved the problem just by bleeding the brakes.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #8
GearGuy
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
I wonder if replacing the line wasn’t necessary. I solved the problem just by bleeding the brakes.

-Robert
I bled the lines in the past and had success in restoring caliper function, but the 'fix' was not long term. I believe it just cleared out some 'dirt' that was getting caught in a restricted hose caused by bracket corrosion. I tried bleeding a second time recently but with only limited success, brakes still had drag.

Chazberry shared a photo of his failed brake line cut open to show the problem.
Link

As the hose support bracket that wraps around the hose corrodes, it constricts the brake hose, restricting flow. Mine survived for over 200k miles in salt ridden NY state. For the cost of a new hose, I had no problem with replacing it.

2006 Vue 3.5L FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!