SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
mperzichilli
mperzichilli is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Air Conditioning

I'm a DIY noob, but fast adding skills to repitoire as I patch up my 96 SL2. Replaced my radiator this last weekend due to leaking from cracks in the plastic. Though I should have been able to move the condenser and radiator together to some extent, but after I took out the lower attachement bolts, the condenser just fell out. The plastic retaining clips on the top must have not provided a good fricton fit.

Anyway, as a result of this the condenser hoses underwent a few contortions while I put everything back together. Now when I run the AC it is exceptionally noisy -- scarily so -- and the noise sounds like mechanical friction or wear. It is still blowing cool (not cold, it wasn't ever really that cold). Did I cause it to leak? What can/should I look at to accurately diagnose the problem?

Thanks in advance.

-MP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mperzichilli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mperzichilli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mperzichilli is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
scottyboost
scottyboost is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Re: Air Conditioning

You need to be a little more specific about what the noise is.
There are basically 3 "moving parts" in the AC system:
- compressor/clutch
- cabin fan
- radiator fan

If there is excessive noise, then it most likely will be one of these parts.

98 SL2 207k, still getting 28mpg city
86 Buick T-type 228k, extreme tire shredder

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scottyboost's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scottyboost reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scottyboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
mperzichilli
mperzichilli is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

the noise is at the compressor. Only makes the sound when ac is engaged (turned on). Fan is operating fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mperzichilli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mperzichilli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mperzichilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:02 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you didn't bend/flex aluminum tubing that's too malleable (leading to cracking and eventual refrigerant leakage along with oil as a telltale sign) the noise may be the compressor protesting the lack of refrigerant. Just don't run the a/c anymore until you have gone over the entire system visually looking for any signs of a leak; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80107. The time spent finding the source of the leak will pay off if/when its decided how to repair the system and if you can do the lions share of the repairs to cuts costs down considerably, including having the system finished by the local a/c shop if you don't have the equipment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote