SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2018, 05:28 PM   #21
FloraSL1
FloraSL1 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: SL1 TAAT transmission mystery

After looking at the same schematic, it seems that there will be no continuity unless as mentioned, the car is running.

Here's my dumb question: what happens if I start this car with the transmission harness unhooked and shift it into reverse to check for signal on that circuit? Do things explode?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FloraSL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FloraSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FloraSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2018, 08:51 PM   #22
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

If you disconnect that harness at the connector on top of the trans cover/pan, the trans will operate in R and 4th only (4th while D is selected). Nothing will get harmed. In fact, disconnecting that connector or pulling all three of the trans fuses is a valid diag technique in many cases. The line pressure will be "stuck" high with the harness disconnected, so the shift from P/N to R/D may seem a bit harsh; no big concern.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #23
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloraSL1 View Post
It's not possible to install that piston upside down is it?
It was on earlier VBs. If yours has a plastic tip on the Manual Valve, you can't go wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VB Bot.jpg (123.9 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #24
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Alright... I studied the above wiring schematic. I can confirm I have continuity of the dark blue wire all the way from the PCM connector to the transmission.

However, I can not seem to get any sort of continuity reading between the red wire that's also involved with the line pressure solenoid and either of the fuse ports in the fuse block.
You should be able to get continuity from Pin G (Red wire) on the VB harness connector to at least one side of the LP Fuse socket. Double check this. The car needs to be running only if you want to get B+ to the Fuse sockets.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-13-2018, 10:19 AM   #25
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
After looking at the same schematic, it seems that there will be no continuity unless as mentioned, the car is running.

Here's my dumb question: what happens if I start this car with the transmission harness unhooked and shift it into reverse to check for signal on that circuit? Do things explode?
This might be worth doing > With the car running and the connector unplugged, you should have B+ on 5 pins (J, A, C, E and G).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #26
FloraSL1

Here's the update in this sorry affair:

I checked every wire for continuity and/or power. The connections are going where they should, and are doing what they should.

I tested the car's reaction with the transmission harness unhooked. As stated it shifted into reverse and 4 with no problem. Hook the harness back up, instant slam and stall in reverse and drive.

Could it be down to a bad PCM? Possibly a bad valve body?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help FloraSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-22-2018, 10:53 PM   #27
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Sure, a bad PCM or VB is possible, as well as still bad wiring. I think a bad PCM is least likely; a bad VB most likely.

Quite a while ago I suggested looking at line pressure with a gauge and using live-data. Did you ever do either of those?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2018, 01:38 PM   #28
FloraSL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Sure, a bad PCM or VB is possible, as well as still bad wiring. I think a bad PCM is least likely; a bad VB most likely.

Quite a while ago I suggested looking at line pressure with a gauge and using live-data. Did you ever do either of those?
Sadly, no. I don't have the capability. I have followed a lot of false paths and replaced a lot of the common issues. I've fallen down the rabbit hole on this one.

I have ended up totally confused by finding apparently bad components at every turn, replacing them, noticing a change in the car's behavior, and still not getting a positive result.

I can buy that the valve body I bought was bad and another one would be in order. The last of the original components still in the car are the PCM and the vehicle speed sensor.

I'm at the point where I would gladly just take it to a transmission shop. The problem is that three shops did a very basic check out and pronounced that it needed a new transmission. No one was willing to listen to anything I had to say. I feel like the same thing would just happen again.

Today's plan looks like going back out to recheck the wiring, and a local parts store has a speed sensor, which I may replace out of paranoia. I'll see what I can do about either renting a line pressure gauge or getting one cheap.

Thanks,
Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #29
billr
Master Member

Yes, well... I am throwing a couple of ropes (live-data and LP gauge) down that "rabbit hole" for you, it's your choice about whether to grab hold of one.

Before you buy a new VSS to throw at it, swap that with the TSS (Turbine-Speed Sensor); those are identical parts. If the symptoms don't change, then it is very unlikely either of those is bad. It is an easy swap to do. Of course, if you had live-data then you could check both of those sensor pretty thoroughly without even getting out of the driver's seat...

Live-data can be had pretty inexpensively, probably for less cost than a VSS. The LP gauge will depend on your particular skills/experience; as well as what kind of stuff you already have on hand. You will need a 300 psi gauge, a length of hose that will hold 300 psi, and some misc. pipe fittings of 1/8" NPT. I doubt you will find an off-the-shelf gauge set that will work that is priced reasonably (< $50)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2018, 06:05 PM   #30
FloraSL1

I went back out today after not being able to find a proper test gauge to do some looking. I did make an odd find. The transmission filter was loose. It was changed along with the fluid not many miles ago and had started leaking yesterday.

I'm not sure that means anything or not.

I have access to the hoses at least. I will have to order the right gauge to test anything but the seem available online.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2018, 07:41 PM   #31
billr
Master Member

Get a gauge with 1/8" NPT connection, not 1/4". That will save you having to buy any extra fittings. McMaster has a suitable 2" dial gauge for about $10, so there is the "high price" you should be able to get under.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2018, 04:35 PM   #32
gveinot
gveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

please remember the ECM ( engine computer ) is a solid state device ( transistors , diodes, integrated circuit ). Given these cars are all at least 16 years old, that shorted wire could have burned something out in the ECM. The ECM controls the valve body. If you put the car in neutral and coast, the speedometer will work, that should prove the speed sensor in the transmission. I'd try and find a junk yard ECM and swap it at this point. I have been around diodes and transistors all my life, they are very reliable but will fail when they want, usually from over voltage, current, heat, or water damage. Keep us posted on this one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote