SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default The Spot is not

I gotta give credit where credit is due to Charlie, the owner and Admin of SaturnFans here.
I just learned after talking to the Mod at the Spot (or whatever they are other then namesake) has been owned by some holding company is isn't what it used to be. Whatever happened, the site is ugly green color and owned by some corporate guys and moderated by some guy who mods 27 other sites this company bought. What's with that?

Charlie on the other hand has maintained this site true to what it is for about a decade and never sold out, Thanks Charlie from all us Saturn Fans.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
SinCitySaturn
SinCitySaturn is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
1997 SL2
Default Re: The Spot is not

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
I gotta give credit where credit is due to Charlie, the owner and Admin of SaturnFans here.
I just learned after talking to the Mod at the Spot (or whatever they are other then namesake) has been owned by some holding company is isn't what it used to be. Whatever happened, the site is ugly green color and owned by some corporate guys and moderated by some guy who mods 27 other sites this company bought. What's with that?

Charlie on the other hand has maintained this site true to what it is for about a decade and never sold out, Thanks Charlie from all us Saturn Fans.
Many thanks from me as well Charlie! Saturn Fans is awesome Long live Saturn and GM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SinCitySaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SinCitySaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SinCitySaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

It's been that way for a long time Marx .... that site at one time was one that was on the list to visit. Now the most of the old users are banned or don't bother stopping by. Can you imagine me being banned from a site because I speak my mind?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:44 AM   #4
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSdn View Post
It's been that way for a long time Marx .... that site at one time was one that was on the list to visit. Now the most of the old users are banned or don't bother stopping by. Can you imagine me being banned from a site because I speak my mind?
Yes, yes I can...LOL. Well, I just challenged the Moderator, I asked him (or her) what they drive and they replied its an Exterra which in turn I asked who is moderating that board that has actual Saturn knowledge. (maybe I'l be the next one banned?, haha) Waiting for a reply, might be my last post there ever.

What a shame.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
Yes, yes I can...LOL. Well, I just challenged the Moderator, I asked him (or her) what they drive and they replied its an Exterra which in turn I asked who is moderating that board that has actual Saturn knowledge. (maybe I'l be the next one banned?, haha) Waiting for a reply, might be my last post there ever.

What a shame.

Thats what hapens to a site when your not allowed to have a personality of your own. Thats what comes of a site when you have to be politically correct when your talking about cars. Thats what happens when your not allowed to have an opinion. Thats how a site ends up when you can not be honest. More spam is posted on the site then users post. Yes the mods run around like good little children cleaning it up as the owner does nothing to make improvements. Many sites have gone down the same road as SaturnSpot and more will go down the same road.
Just becarefull of what you say...maybe take a poll before you say what color you like the ASTRA in so you won't be banned for not liking the same color as the rest.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: The Spot - the lowdown

Just got my answer from the Mod there, justgroovy.

If you go there and look under the thread "no reply!!!!" (while it is still there, lol) you will see all.

JonnyRocket92 is the head moderator there, been there since '04 and does own a Saturn.

The new owners are an Advertising firm called Crowdgather, Google it. ON thier website they offer to buy up forums and offer the forum as an advertising solution, plain and simple. (don't get any ideas Charlie, LOL).

from thier website:
Quote:
About Crowdgather
CrowdGather is committed to thriving, information-rich forum communities. We will continue to create the world's best user experience for the many forum communities we currently own, and world-class service offerings for forum owners that join our network.

CrowdGather is committed to bringing the world of forums together. By combining the reach of a targeted ad network with passionate user-generated content, we are able to benefit both advertisers and forum owners.
That pretty much explains everything going on at the Spot. It's all about the ads. Which is the total opposite from what Charlie does here, he has truly served the Saturn community well.

Yea, that's pretty much my last post there...no SPAM for me sir, I'm full.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
nababbo
nababbo is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

I don't understand though...isn't it in their best interest to have as many users as possible? The more people see the ads the more $ they get from the ads. Oh wait...if they go bankrupt my friendly state senator will bail them out....who cares about having a solid financial plan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nababbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nababbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nababbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nababbo View Post
I don't understand though...isn't it in their best interest to have as many users as possible? The more people see the ads the more $ they get from the ads. Oh wait...if they go bankrupt my friendly state senator will bail them out....who cares about having a solid financial plan
You would think. but with advertisers now owning the Spot, they have determined what is ok and what is not for them.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!