SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Thumbs Up The New Saturn

Ok, enough of the negative Bullocks already. Nearly two thirds of new posts are based on the negative and worst case scenarios and we don't even know what exactly GM has in store for Saturn except the ever-changing News, Speculations and Rumors. I know things are a bit gloomy but perhaps we should also concentrate on the positive aspects of what can happen instead of the negative all the time.

There are quite a few directions that Saturn could go either within GM or alone. What do you think the newest variation of Saturn will be like?

I think of many scenarios, all with a positive outlook:

We could be merged with another GM brand like Buick and still retain our Opel relationship.

We could be a specialty brand of Opel as Vauxhall is in the UK, specializing in small cars as first started out.

We could be bought out by a yet undisclosed party and individual operations would resume as normal, with GM (possibly Opel) or another automaker building our cars.

Saturn could be phased out of GM and picked up by a competitor who improves our quality and competes heavily against GM.

Individual dealers buy out the Saturn franchise name from GM and continue to sell under the Opel Saturn name in the US.

What else can you think of? What will The New Saturn look like? KEEP IT POSITIVE PLEASE....

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2008, 12:40 AM   #2
SaturnTech10
SaturnTech10 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: The New Saturn

There has been a rumor about Shanghai Automotive Industry corp. purchasing Saturn. If they do, than yes they will be Chinese owned, but SAIC does a lot of work with GM and THEY will be in charge of the product and may even run it better than GM. Every division in the early '90's were angry and jealous at the success of Saturn and their HUGE customer satisfaction scores. In my opinion the jealousy of GM's divisions and franchises is what killed the success of Saturn. I am optimistic about this possibility. Maybe SAIC will go back to Saturn's past strengths and re-focus on customer satisfaction, smaller vehicles, and making them even more fuel efficient. People can whine all day about how much they hate China, but i can promise you that half the items in your house are made there. If they were to turn Saturn around to the way it was originally envisioned, than GM is going to beat themselves over the head for not working harder on it. Worst case scenario is they go down as a failed dream that started out so great, but lacked vision in the end. Although if Buick picked up Opel's products and tried again that would be ok, but Saturn fans may have a hard time seeing themselves in a stereotypical old person's car.

Saturn/GM Trained Autombile Technician
ASE Certified in 5 Areas
Employed from July 2006-Present

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnTech10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
Ok, enough of the negative Bullocks already. Nearly two thirds of new posts are based on the negative and worst case scenarios and we don't even know what exactly GM has in store for Saturn except the ever-changing News, Speculations and Rumors. I know things are a bit gloomy but perhaps we should also concentrate on the positive aspects of what can happen instead of the negative all the time.

There are quite a few directions that Saturn could go either within GM or alone. What do you think the newest variation of Saturn will be like?

I think of many scenarios, all with a positive outlook:

We could be merged with another GM brand like Buick and still retain our Opel relationship.

We could be a specialty brand of Opel as Vauxhall is in the UK, specializing in small cars as first started out.

We could be bought out by a yet undisclosed party and individual operations would resume as normal, with GM (possibly Opel) or another automaker building our cars.

Saturn could be phased out of GM and picked up by a competitor who improves our quality and competes heavily against GM.

Individual dealers buy out the Saturn franchise name from GM and continue to sell under the Opel Saturn name in the US.

What else can you think of? What will The New Saturn look like? KEEP IT POSITIVE PLEASE....
in this day & age with our economy so bad, & unemployment at it's highest, it's hard to think positive about anything, but i still think saturn will be bought if dropped by gm. i like your idea of it competing heavily with gm, that would be very difficult, but not impossible....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
in this day & age with our economy so bad, & unemployment at it's highest, it's hard to think positive about anything, but i still think saturn will be bought if dropped by gm. i like your idea of it competing heavily with gm, that would be very difficult, but not impossible....
OK, so what do you think that The New Saturn would look like?

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
VTVUE
VTVUE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
think hyundai excell,ford festiva,yugo, in other words cheap tin cans.chinese vehicles and russian vehicles arent sold in this country because they are sub par.purchase of saturn by the chi-coms is their first foot in the door, after that,others will follow.the japanese have worked hard to destroy the american auto industry,and the entry of the chi-coms will finish it off for sure. so go ahead and support the chi-com aquisition of saturn,just be sure to thank youselves later on when all you can buy is chi-com crap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTVUE View Post
think hyundai excell,ford festiva,yugo, in other words cheap tin cans.chinese vehicles and russian vehicles arent sold in this country because they are sub par.purchase of saturn by the chi-coms is their first foot in the door, after that,others will follow.the japanese have worked hard to destroy the american auto industry,and the entry of the chi-coms will finish it off for sure. so go ahead and support the chi-com aquisition of saturn,just be sure to thank youselves later on when all you can buy is chi-com crap.

Ok, I guess you missed or totally skipped over the part that said "KEEP IT POSITIVE PLEASE" maybe your chinese made compooter monitor didn't display it properly?

What part about "KEEP IT POSITIVE, PLEASE" was mis-understood? Sheesh! aye carumba!

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
hmm, the sky's the limit! first i would like to know if they will be made out of plastic or steel, then i could better answer that question. i would imagine if plastic something similer to the old models, & steel something like the current models. what they should do is to make a retro model similer to what chevy is doing with the camaro & ford the mustang. seems like many of us like the older models & they would sell them if they made models to look like those models from those years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #8
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTVUE View Post
although you could be right, i just hope & pray your wrong! that sure would be the nail in the coffin! maybe we will make saturns here & sell to china for a change! i think if china did puirchase saturn that would be a mistake as people are already sick & tired of loseing jobs to china & probably would have a problem supporting that if it happened...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:03 PM   #9
IONfan2
IONfan2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
1996 SW2

I think they should reposition Saturn as a brand that sells small, sporty and economical cars similar to Scion. They should build the Saturns HERE in the United States. I also think that ALL of the new Saturns should be small and get good fuel economy. Get rid of the Outlook, Sky and Astra. The Outlook is way to big and fits better with Chevy or Buick. The SKY and Astra are a little too pricey for being Saturns. Saturns were originally affordable. Remember in the 1996 Saturn brochure where it says, "If you think you have to spend 30 grand to feel safe, that's not only crazy, that's downright scary". Make Saturns that are under 20 grand.

2002 SC2 (78,000 miles) I LOVE my Saturn! =]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IONfan2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IONfan2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IONfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:05 AM   #10
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Saturn should just go back to what they were famous for, making light plastic bodied cars in Tennessee between $15.000-$19.000. i can't count the number of times people right here on this forum said they would buy a new one like that...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2008, 10:18 AM   #11
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IONfan2 View Post
I think they should reposition Saturn as a brand that sells small, sporty and economical cars similar to Scion. They should build the Saturns HERE in the United States. I also think that ALL of the new Saturns should be small and get good fuel economy. Get rid of the Outlook, Sky and Astra. The Outlook is way to big and fits better with Chevy or Buick. The SKY and Astra are a little too pricey for being Saturns. Saturns were originally affordable. Remember in the 1996 Saturn brochure where it says, "If you think you have to spend 30 grand to feel safe, that's not only crazy, that's downright scary". Make Saturns that are under 20 grand.
I like how you think, IONfan.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #12
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by IONfan2 View Post
I don't have the answers but I can tell you how I became a Saturn owner...

I was looking for a sub-$20K hatchback. I did research online and test drove almost every option. I discovered there is *a lot* of competition in that market and no stand-out winner. After driving all of them I found none of these 'budget' models - including the (IMO) over-hyped Fit - are that great. Either they lack power or lack features or handle poorly or are just plain ugly.

Then I saw the Astra. I couldn't believe a car that's ~$20K-ish had all of those features. In fact, I settled on the Astra because IMO it has *by far* the best bang for the buck. No other car had leather (heated at that!) available, 4 wheel disc ABS, traction control, and nice 17" or 18" rims. After driving it I was sold.

Anyway, my point is in a market with so much competition the Astra separates itself by having/offering things unavailable from the competition. I think the idea of taking away those things to make it cheaper would hurt more than help. That's my $.02...

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robor007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:25 PM   #13
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

New Saturn = Scion or Mini

I wonder why (aside from Sky RedLine) the GMPD parts bin is off limits to Saturn for a few go-fast goodies to go along with customized roof rails and center stack appliques.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:33 AM   #14
youknowme
youknowme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnTech10 View Post
People can whine all day about how much they hate China, but i can promise you that half the items in your house are made there.
Yes, and they have legitimate reasons to do so...moving everything to China is ruining our economy. They are communists. They are completely trashing the enviroment. The wild growth in China is due to US businesses selling you out. That wild growth in turn is putting price pressures on everything from Aluminum to Oil.

Go to Germany and try to find some quasi western product that was built in China. Boy is it hard. You might find a Chinese car before you find the acres of cheaply built crap we have here. They realize you cut your own throat when you sell industry to China so a couple of walmart execs can get rich.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youknowme's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youknowme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #15
sl2tuner
sl2tuner is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
hmm, the sky's the limit! first i would like to know if they will be made out of plastic or steel, then i could better answer that question. i would imagine if plastic something similer to the old models, & steel something like the current models. what they should do is to make a retro model similer to what chevy is doing with the camaro & ford the mustang. seems like many of us like the older models & they would sell them if they made models to look like those models from those years.

god would i love to buy a 2010 SL2 i think that would be jsut absolutely awesome

'99 SL2 5spd
Semi short throw
Geo TB
custom WAI
neon
2 12" JL Audio
760 Pioneer amp
JL Audio TR copmonent Surrounds
100k+ mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl2tuner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl2tuner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl2tuner is offline   Reply With Quote