SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2005, 03:14 PM   #1
powdereatin
powdereatin is on a distinguished road

Default 06 Vue: constant air from heater when fan off?

First post here----we are looking at 06 AWD V6 Vues. We talked the dealer into letting us take a 100-mile test drive and boy are we glad he said yes----it's amazing how many things you notice in a vehicle when you spend a couple hours versus a couple minutes.

When the heater/AC fan is turned to OFF, there is still a considerable amount of air entering the cabin from under the dash. When you turn the hot/cold knob to hotter, the air gets hotter. If the knob is all the way on cold, the air is the same temperature as outside. It does not seem to matter what position you have the knob that controls where the air comes out (e.g. feet, dash, etc.).

DOES ANYONE ELSE WITH AN 06 VUE HAVE THIS PROBLEM???

It's a make or break deal for me, because you constantly have to adjust the hot/cold knob on a long trip to maintain even a somewhat comfortable temperature. During the spring and fall when you rarely have heat or air conditioning turned on, you might be at 8,000 feet elevation and 40 degrees and one hour later you're at 3,000 feet and 70 degrees. Since the cold or warm air from outside is making it into the vehicle, you have to constantly turn the hot/cold knob up and down to keep the air temperature somewhat constant.

Any feedback from 06 owners is appreciated!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to powdereatin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help powdereatin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
powdereatin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 06 Vue: constant air from heater when fan off?

Push the recirculate button.

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 03:36 PM   #3
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

It has been like that in every Saturn I have owned. It's flow thru ventilation. Unless I need the compressor on, I very seldom turn the fan on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99blacktop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99blacktop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 03:39 PM   #4
Web Raven
Web Raven is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I've had my '06 Vue since August 6th (2,300+ miles on it) and have to say that I haven't noticed this problem. Or maybe it's there, but it just isn't an issue for me... I'll have to pay more attention to it on my drive home from work tonight. I'll let you know if air is coming into the car when the fan is in the off position.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Web Raven's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Web Raven reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Web Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 03:41 PM   #5
StormTrackVUE
StormTrackVUE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout
Exactly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to StormTrackVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help StormTrackVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
StormTrackVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:04 PM   #6
dirttysouth
dirttysouth is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Its a chevy thing....every Chevy I have ever owned does that.

Your friendly, neighborhood Vue customizer...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dirttysouth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dirttysouth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dirttysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:13 PM   #7
PontiacLvr
PontiacLvr is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

I have an 06 with 953 miles on it and have not experienced this .. Though I have alwas had a GM product so I must be used to it ...Don't let a small issue IMO like the air sway you ..it is a great vehicle for the money !!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PontiacLvr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PontiacLvr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PontiacLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:18 PM   #8
05vueblue
05vueblue is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

I noticed it, I just adjust the temp so it is confortable air, or push the recirculate button.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 05vueblue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 05vueblue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
05vueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:32 PM   #9
GirlWithAVue
GirlWithAVue is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I have never noticed this in my '06. I'm sure I would've because living here in Florida, if you get in the car without the air on it is a sweatbox. I have never noticed any type of airflow in my VUE without the air on. I always have the recirculating button on though .

2006 FWD V6 VUE Black/Grey/Chrome

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GirlWithAVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GirlWithAVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GirlWithAVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:33 PM   #10
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by powdereatin
It's a make or break deal for me, because you constantly have to adjust the hot/cold knob on a long trip to maintain even a somewhat comfortable temperature. During the spring and fall when you rarely have heat or air conditioning turned on, you might be at 8,000 feet elevation and 40 degrees and one hour later you're at 3,000 feet and 70 degrees. Since the cold or warm air from outside is making it into the vehicle, you have to constantly turn the hot/cold knob up and down to keep the air temperature somewhat constant.
I fail to see how this would be any better/different on any other car. Outside temp is going to effect inside temp nearly the same on every car. It's up to the end user to control the temp manually (unless you have an automatic climate control).

--Tom

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 06:44 PM   #11
2004NJVue
Advanced Member
2004NJVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
1996 SL2

Pressing the recirc button does stop the airflow. Every saturn I or my parents have purchased since 91 does this.

Current: 2004 Saturn Vue V6 Awd (purchased new November 04) >130,000 Miles
1996 Saturn SL2 - 300,000 miles
Past Saturns: Ask me
Only live once, enjoy it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2004NJVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2004NJVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2004NJVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 08:18 PM   #12
runerx
runerx is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Actually most cars do this. My 82 nissan did it my 87 nissan car and truck did it and my 03 VUE does it. There is a opening to the outside... as you go faster air is forced in over the heater core and gets heated if the heat is on.
The recirc cuts off this path. Depending on where the intake is, one car may do it (worse/better) than others.

Dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to runerx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help runerx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
runerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:32 PM   #13
Galileo
Master Member
Galileo is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout
Just remember to turn the recirculate button off in rainy weather to keep your windows from fogging on the inside. I'm amazed at the number of cars I pass in rainy weather with fogged-up windows... and I'm not talking about parked vehicles!

Beautiful People First~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Galileo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Galileo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Galileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:22 AM   #14
oldcar1
oldcar1 is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
2005 VUE 2.2L

It's a government requiremant that air flow when the car is moving and the fan is off to keep us from inhaling exhaust gasses if there is a leak. Pushing the recirculate button will cut this off. All cars do this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oldcar1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oldcar1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oldcar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:14 AM   #15
GearGuy
Advanced Member
GearGuy is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I've been test driving a 2006 Vue and can also confirm that turning recirculate on does cut the airflow off with the fan off.
I cranked up the heat to max and put the air flow to the upper vents. With the recirculate activated, I can't feel any noticeable amount of hot air coming from under the dashboard either.

I would think that you would want some air circulation, especially on a new vehicle, to vent out the plasticizer off gasses from the new interior parts. You know that film that gets on the inside of your windows? That new car 'smell'. Who wants that in their lungs? I don't think that it is harmful under normal conditions but still.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GearGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GearGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GearGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:54 PM   #16
Web Raven
Web Raven is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Okay so yesterday when I left work, I kept my windows rolled up and turned the fan to the off position... I had to actually put my hand over the vent while driving to even notice that air was coming in through it. So apparently, you're all right it's just not something that bothers me enough to give up on my Vue. It has too many other outstanding qualities. Don't let this deter you from buying a Vue!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Web Raven's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Web Raven reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Web Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 04:40 PM   #17
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

"DOES ANYONE ELSE WITH AN 06 VUE HAVE THIS PROBLEM"

Actually, everybody in the world has this 'problem' if they drive a car. All vehicles allow outside air to flow through the ventilation system. If you set the control to the dash registers, you could feel the air coming through there as well. Like they said, if this bothers you, hit the 'recirculate' button. As a VUE owner, you will soon learn to not leave the switch in the floor register position unless its really cold, because when you turn the fan on, the AC compressor is automatically activated, without the pilot light being illuminated. This is supposed to stop at 40 degrees and colder.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 05:43 PM   #18
DcRedz
DcRedz is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I have this in my '03. Adjust or hit recirculate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DcRedz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DcRedz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DcRedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 07:20 AM   #19
scotydoc
scotydoc is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2009 Astra XE
Idea Re: 06 Vue: constant air from heater when fan off?

OLDcar1 Amswered the question correctly its been a federal mandate for over 30 years. To reduce the chance of exhaust fumes entering the passanger compartment. There were some deaths the resulted from people sitting in thier cars with engine running. New spec: Fans were set to slow/low when engine is running with 10% outside air mix damper open.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotydoc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotydoc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scotydoc is offline   Reply With Quote