SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #1
supermailman
supermailman is on a distinguished road

Default 2001 SW hard to fuel up, tosses gas out filler hole

2001 SWP, 179K. Purrs like a kitten. Only check engine light is for rear O2 sensor, nothing on EVAP. I went to fuel up today (this is the first time I actually put gas in it since I've owned it the past month or two due to getting the rear door latches replaced) and I had to pump the fuel very, very slowly or else the filler neck would get backed up and spit fuel out the hole. After about 5 minutes I finally filled it up. I had a Jimmy that did something similar and it ended up being the EVAP solenoid underneath the vehicle. Is this a common issue with any generation of the S series, or does anyone have any suggestions on where I should start looking before I randomly replace things?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to supermailman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help supermailman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
supermailman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: 2001 SW hard to fuel up, tosses gas out filler hole

This will get you started on the fix
98+fuel system and tank issues
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160989

Checking the vent solenoid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7_6CYf_TAo

The problem is the vent is not functioning and the hoses at the tank are not designed for removal so don't. Can create many problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:57 AM   #3
supermailman

Thanks for the links OldNuc. I am going to give the purge valve, associated vacuum lines from the throttle body, and emissions hoses underneath + solenoid a good lookover today after work to see what is going on. This was a USPS rural route vehicle for several years so I am guessing it's not unlikely for there to be issues underneath due to rocks, dirt, and other debris.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help supermailman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2015, 10:27 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The vent valve has a filter on it and it is way up behind the fill point. Finding it full of mud is not an incredible event. The purge system is functioning as it is not setting any codes and electrical power is reaching the vent solenoid for the same reason but plugged filter or stuck solenoid are quite likely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-30-2015, 11:27 AM   #5
supermailman

Replaced the canister vent solenoid and purge solenoid, still doesn't allow me to pump very fast. All lines and everything appear to be intact, still no codes besides rear O2 sensor. Vapor canister possibly contaminated/bad?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-30-2015, 12:44 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Use the video I linked to actually verify the VENT solenoid is operating. Wires do break ... The canister has absolutely NOTHING to do with the tank vent for filling.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-01-2015, 09:36 PM   #7
lowflyer
lowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to all

2001 SWP
2000 SWP

i got swp's that have seen alot of gravel, dusty roads. after having a similar problem with both, i've replaced the canisters on top of the tank on both, and have normal gas fillups since. the old canisters would weigh about 20 pounds when full of dirt, and look like a fire extinguisher when you put an air hose on one of the inlets. the little sponge filters around the vent solenoid, along with the plastic lines were all solid full with dirt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lowflyer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lowflyer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote