SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
velleguy73
velleguy73 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
2002 SL
Default Fuel Filler tube metal top, how to clean

Howdy folks,

My car threw a P0442 code 5 miles into a 250 mile trip today. It ran OK so I just went for it and made it home. Turns out, thanks to the forum, that usually means a worn rubber seal on in gascap. Thankfully, I had an extra filler tube and gascap from a previous saturn project car just laying around.

So far so good with the other gascap installed. The issue is I can see tons of corrosion on the metal ring/seal on the end of the filler tube. It is definatly effecting the seal. The ring looks like it can come off pretty easy. Considering this can't be painted and must be metal to ground the car when you fill-up at the pump, I am not sure how to clean it up. Sanblasting would just make it more succeptable to corrosion.

Has anyone ever tried to clean this? Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velleguy73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velleguy73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velleguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2010, 06:56 AM   #2
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2
Default Re: Fuel Filler tube metal top, how to clean

Assume you've tried to remove whatever is there with a cleaner (contact cleaner/Gumout)? I've noticed what looks like corrosion on my filler and found that alot of it was built up gunk that I could clean off.

If it's true rust - perhaps a rust converter would help stop it and make a smoother mating surface.

My guess is that the gasket on the cap is more than enough to compensate for any irregular surface on the filler pipe surface.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:13 AM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Scotch brite and keep the crud out of the gas tank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
velleguy73
velleguy73 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Scotch brite and keep the crud out of the gas tank.
Cool, I'll give a whirl. There's 1 screw and a bunch of spring tabs holding it in. Definatly an off the car project.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velleguy73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velleguy73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velleguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Don't try and take it apart. There is a raised seat that the gasket in the cap mates with. That is what needs to be cleaned off. Fold up a paper towel so you catch the shavings and they do not end up in the tank. Just take a scotch brite to the seal area. Takes all of 5 minutes and most of the timer is spent folding the towel and carefully removing it. Don't put the towel into the hole with the flapper as you will not get it back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

i just sanded mine a little with fine sandpaper & then used a little silicone grease on the metal to prevent more corrosion....

mine was a little corroded around the sides mostly on the bottom, not the sealing area...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
sl2eggplant
sl2eggplant is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I put a damp napkin and covered the filler hole. Wet napkins tend to stick to small bits of dust better than dry ones. When I finished sanding, I wiped down the surface with the wet napkin and sucked out whatever was left with a shop vac.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl2eggplant's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl2eggplant reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl2eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote