SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
saea501
saea501 is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn sold to Penske

http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2009/06...l-saturn-unit/

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090605/..._saturn_penske

2008 Aura XE 3.5 Red Jewel
Tan leather

Last edited by saea501; 06-05-2009 at 08:40 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saea501's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saea501 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saea501 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #2
*cAm*
*cAm* is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
Default Re: Saturn sold to Penske

Haha I just put a new topic in the community folder with this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to *cAm*'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help *cAm* reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
*cAm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
Threxx
Threxx is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

When I bought my Aura on Wednesday the finance guy told me that Penske had bought them earlier in the day but it wasn't public knowledge yet. Should I feel privileged to have known for almost 48 hours before it hit the news wires?

Has GM committed to how long they will continue to produce cars for Saturn? How does that work? I think I heard GM said until the 2011 model year, but I suppose Penske could hasten that transition of they find somebody else to build their cars. Ya know I wonder what the odds are of Penske continuing to use GM-built cars? I guess probably not good since that wouldn't change anything and the brand would probably continue to be unprofitable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Threxx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Threxx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

eh, i'll wait until official announcement, sounds like it could still fall through.

+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

here we goes

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...35&docid=54813

+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threxx View Post
When I bought my Aura on Wednesday the finance guy told me that Penske had bought them earlier in the day but it wasn't public knowledge yet. Should I feel privileged to have known for almost 48 hours before it hit the news wires?

Has GM committed to how long they will continue to produce cars for Saturn? How does that work? I think I heard GM said until the 2011 model year, but I suppose Penske could hasten that transition of they find somebody else to build their cars. Ya know I wonder what the odds are of Penske continuing to use GM-built cars? I guess probably not good since that wouldn't change anything and the brand would probably continue to be unprofitable.
From what I have read this mornning, "Penske would obtain the rights to the brand as well as certain other Saturn assets. GM would continue production, on a contract basis, of the Saturn Aura, Vue and Outlook."

So as long as Penske is selling they will be ordering from GM.
Saturn, will be a 3 model company for a while.
I hope that Penske can make contracts with Opel to import some of their similar cars and sell them in the US under the Penske/Saturn brand.
I haven't seen any clue this might happen, but it would sure be a good move in my opinion.

Wonder if Penske will give a discount on rental trucks to Saturn Owners????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #7
lambdapro
lambdapro is on a distinguished road

2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2007 AURA XE

I have the GMPP extended warranty for my wife's Saturn. How does that work in this new mix?
David

'04 L300-3 Wagon, '07 Aura XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lambdapro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lambdapro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lambdapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
carlover
carlover is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

I hope this means that GM will be keeping the Saturn factories running. I suspect Penske will eventually buy some manufacturing capability, as well.

Drive like you mean it, keep the rubber side down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carlover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carlover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
lococrzy
lococrzy is on a distinguished road

It is likely that penske will bring Samsung cars and sell them as saturns in the US. they might also bring some Renaults over and sell them Saturns. although the posibility of creating a joint venture with opel in the US is highly plauseble and cost affective now that Magna will be producing opel's in Canada.

Looking at all this from a business stand point IMHO it would be less profitable to bring a rebadged korean Nissan (samsung) than a candian Opel. and also bringing either Renault or Samsung here might adversly affect the sales of their brother Nissan or just make the "new Saturn" fail.

So if i was penske i would ring up Magna and work out a nice deal and sell astras, Insignias, Corsas, agilas, maybe even the Tigra o yeah and bring the Twin TOp Astra!!! lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lococrzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lococrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lococrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
carlover
carlover is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

I think Penske will work a deal with Magna later on to make Saturn an all-Opel line. I just hope they start using that 2.0L turbo I4 engine in more models. Awsome engine.

Drive like you mean it, keep the rubber side down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carlover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carlover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #11
*cAm*
*cAm* is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
FRANKFURT -- Adam Opel GmbH won't enter the U.S. car market if the takeover by Magna International Inc. goes ahead as planned, according to a German Economy Ministry document viewed Friday.
Cross Posted... no Opel for the US under Magna.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to *cAm*'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help *cAm* reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
*cAm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:06 PM   #12
lococrzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by *cAm* View Post
Cross Posted... no Opel for the US under Magna.
This is true it is part of the terms of the sale, but no where does it say that magna cant sell cars to penske to sell as Saturns

PLEASE dont kill my HOPE!!

lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lococrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
Phaeton Driver

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lococrzy View Post
It is likely that penske will bring Samsung cars and sell them as saturns in the US. they might also bring some Renaults over and sell them Saturns. although the posibility of creating a joint venture with opel in the US is highly plauseble and cost affective now that Magna will be producing opel's in Canada.

Looking at all this from a business stand point IMHO it would be less profitable to bring a rebadged korean Nissan (samsung) than a candian Opel. and also bringing either Renault or Samsung here might adversly affect the sales of their brother Nissan or just make the "new Saturn" fail.

So if i was penske i would ring up Magna and work out a nice deal and sell astras, Insignias, Corsas, agilas, maybe even the Tigra o yeah and bring the Twin TOp Astra!!! lol
I read the anouncement about the Samsung-Renault possible deal.
Penske, are you reading/listening???
If I want a Samsung, I'll buy a DVD player. If I want a Renault, I am out of my mind and need to be commited to an institutuion or shot in the head. I remember the Renault, back when it was pronounced Re-NaLT and they were worse that the Yugos.

I, as a first time Saturn owner, biught a Saturn because it was a good value for a German engineered car built in the US. If Saturn turns into a Third World auto importer, I can only say, Bye-Bye Saturn.

If Penske has to import cars for a while, they better be German, Italian, or British. I don't want to see French cars on our streets again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #14
Michel1961
Michel1961 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton Driver View Post
I read the anouncement about the Samsung-Renault possible deal.
Penske, are you reading/listening???
If I want a Samsung, I'll buy a DVD player. If I want a Renault, I am out of my mind and need to be commited to an institutuion or shot in the head. I remember the Renault, back when it was pronounced Re-NaLT and they were worse that the Yugos.

I, as a first time Saturn owner, biught a Saturn because it was a good value for a German engineered car built in the US. If Saturn turns into a Third World auto importer, I can only say, Bye-Bye Saturn.

If Penske has to import cars for a while, they better be German, Italian, or British. I don't want to see French cars on our streets again.
You may not be aware that Renaults are pretty much the same as Nissans. Some of the models that Nissan are not porting over are actually not bad. I also remember the crap Renaults from way back, but these are not the same cars.

BTW, I agree with you on the German, Italian, British angle. I bought my Aura for the same reason you bought yours. Solid German design, thoroughly tested in Europe. Now, I'd love more Opels, or a Saturn DB9, Vanquish or Elise ! I suspect that's not what Mr. Penske has in mind...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Michel1961's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Michel1961 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Michel1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #15
bue05
Advanced Member
bue05 will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE

I am curious as since i have not personally heard or read yet.... How this purchase has and/or will affect GM/Saturn Bumper to Bumper warranty, GM/Saturn drivetrain 5year/100,000 mile warranty? Also, how about ONstar? Any changes as to continued support, cost/price issues/changes, will Onstar be available on future saturns? Will what is and isn't covered and the non covered prices of warranty and non warranty work be affected. I am excited that Saturn is not a total and complete bust and gone for ever type of thing. I am hoping they get back to Saturn "a different kind of car company" type of thing again!! I feel that gm had gotten to many of there fingers into saturn and this might be what saturn needs??? I don't know what to think right now. Just worried being a GM FAmily member and My grandma relies desperately on the GM pension fund... Hope they get there act together soon! thanks for the info and any ideas as how this all is going to go down. bue05

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bue05's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bue05 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bue05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:18 PM   #16
Phaeton Driver

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bue05 View Post
I am curious as since i have not personally heard or read yet.... How this purchase has and/or will affect GM/Saturn Bumper to Bumper warranty, GM/Saturn drivetrain 5year/100,000 mile warranty? Also, how about ONstar? Any changes as to continued support, cost/price issues/changes, will Onstar be available on future saturns? Will what is and isn't covered and the non covered prices of warranty and non warranty work be affected. I am excited that Saturn is not a total and complete bust and gone for ever type of thing. I am hoping they get back to Saturn "a different kind of car company" type of thing again!! I feel that gm had gotten to many of there fingers into saturn and this might be what saturn needs??? I don't know what to think right now. Just worried being a GM FAmily member and My grandma relies desperately on the GM pension fund... Hope they get there act together soon! thanks for the info and any ideas as how this all is going to go down. bue05
Bue
Hold on. Way to many things to wonder about just yet.
I wouldn't worry about the Warranty issues, GM and the government say it will all be covered 100%. Believe it or not
Pension issues are almost always affected when a company goes bankrupt.
Let Penske figure out what to buy, how to make the new company work before OnStar, what they'll import, and how they will sell em.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #17
lococrzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton Driver View Post

You better rethink the Italian and British ones lol Fiat was dead last in the Euro JD power and assoc. in quality and reliability and the British weren't far behind with the Land rover brand.

IDK if i would buy a Samsung-Saturn but just FYI Samsung is on the Higher end of the Korean cars, besting the Hyundai and Kia peeps in both Quality and reliability.

All i know is that i want a damn VXR Astra and a VXR Insignia NOW!!!! lol
or even a VXR Corsa!!!

I guess i could go buy a CXS buick Lacrosse but..... i dont think i will be buying again from Goverment Motors anytime soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #18
bue05
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

Phaeton- Thanks, I agree and understand. Im so interested in knowing more.. I have not had too much of a chance to following the news, or look over much of the info on the net about it all to be honest. I hardly have any time or patience to be honest. If its not on the television, or easily clickable and readable... i usually don't get too much into the info.. I figure you guys and gals on here might have heard, read, seen more than i could even tell you all. I just know that penske is purchasing saturn and thats about the extent of it all.. thx for following up with the question i had asked. bue05

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bue05 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #19
Phaeton Driver

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bue05 View Post
Phaeton- Thanks, I agree and understand. Im so interested in knowing more.. I have not had too much of a chance to following the news, or look over much of the info on the net about it all to be honest. I hardly have any time or patience to be honest. If its not on the television, or easily clickable and readable... i usually don't get too much into the info.. I figure you guys and gals on here might have heard, read, seen more than i could even tell you all. I just know that penske is purchasing saturn and thats about the extent of it all.. thx for following up with the question i had asked. bue05
Best place for Saturn specific data seems to be right here, at the host site for this forum.
http://www.saturnfans.com/
This has the most detailed information I have found.
Easy to skim if you don't have the time

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #20
bue05
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

thx again phaeton. tried to get you +rep points but it said this..You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Phaeton Driver again. sorry bue05

REWARD EXCELLENCE!