SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2
Default Throttle Body Cleaning Vs. Fuel Injection Cleaning

My dealership service guy tells me that the Fuel Injection Cleaning service they offer INCLUDES the cleaning of the throttle body. Somehow I don't think it would be as thorough as the cleaning described in posts here and shown in Richpin06's videos. The service guy says that it will take care of my "sticky gas pedal" problem. Maybe so, but not last as long is my guess.

Opinions anyone?

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 07/25/18: 229,023 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default Re: Throttle Body Cleaning Vs. Fuel Injection Cleaning

For something like that, when in doubt, do it yourself.
I am not sure these cars need a fuel injection cleaning. There is a rather large fuel filter in them. Use good gasoline.
Does richpin's video show that you can eliminate sticking of the throttle plate, using the little screw? Not too much or it won't run right, just enough to keep the throttle plate from sticking. After it's cleaned.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNW View Post
Does richpin's video show that you can eliminate sticking of the throttle plate, using the little screw? Not too much or it won't run right, just enough to keep the throttle plate from sticking. After it's cleaned.
I'm not sure what you are referring to. His video does show/describe him cleaning the tip of a sensor, but I don't think it mentioned anything about this screw you've mentioned???? Do you have pictures? Video would be better, of course.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 07/25/18: 229,023 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Here is a pic of the throttle plate stop screw on a 98 DOHC throttle body.Your 02 DOHC might be different but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

The throttlebody is so far upstream (against the airflow) from the fuel injectors, that I am personally very sceptical that any cleaner that is run through the fuel system is going to have a significant effect on the cleanliness of the throttlebody. Take it off & clean it properly, it's quick, easy, and cheap.

http://saturnseries.net/DIY%20Guides...gh%20clean.htm

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

The forward face of the throttle plate can be completely clean and the back side loaded with carbon - which comes from the egr flow and to some extent oil blowby.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
AndyB
AndyB is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

I took off my throttle body this past weekend and gave it a good cleaning with compressed air and a small amount of gum cutter. It took about 10 minutes total and now the throttle is so smooth that I wish I had done it along time ago! The back side of the throttle blade was loaded with black junk, I don't think you could clean it as well any other way than taking if off the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AndyB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AndyB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AndyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #8
Green96SL1
Green96SL1 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

I have gone in with a lintless rag soaked with throttle body cleaner. Remove the snorkel for the air cleaner, open the butterfly valve and have at it. I have taken (carefully) a paint stir stick and moved the rag all around inside the throttle body..usually comes out black. I do it until the rag is reasonably clean. In the past I have sprayed cleaner directly inside the throttle body, let it sit overnight and fired the car (hard to start at first) the next day. Next it's off to the highway to heat things up a bit. I did get a little better performance but that's about it.
I do have another suggestion...switch to Autolite spark plus next time it's up for plugs. gap according to book or autolite.com. Wonderful performance, better gas mileage and easier starting in the cold.

just a suggestion....I'm 13 years with my car. Never failed to start, never left me stranded. Started with 10 V on the battery.

Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Green96SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Green96SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Green96SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote