SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2007, 09:37 PM   #1
smalltownjava
smalltownjava is on a distinguished road

Default Please help with cleaning Sunroof Drains

You guys are great and I'm sure some one can answer this real quick. Where in the forums is a howto on clearing the drains to the Sunroof?

I have the A-pillar cover poped off, the Kick plate removed, the base running board removed and the wheel well guard removed.

I can see the top right hose drain clearly under the headliner and it is firmly attached.

However, when puring some water in the trough around the sunroof, it bairly bubles down.

I can see the water exiting at the bottom just behind the front right door. Its trickling directly trough the metal seams where the jack is supposed to go.

I cannot find the end of the drain hose.

Can someone post a picture or explain what I'm missing?

Thanks!
-Dave in Birmingham, AL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smalltownjava's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smalltownjava reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smalltownjava is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #2
smalltownjava
smalltownjava is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Please help with cleaning Sunroof Drains

Stupid, links showing related threads contained the answer. Sorry for the waste of space.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smalltownjava's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smalltownjava reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smalltownjava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownjava View Post
You guys are great and I'm sure some one can answer this real quick. Where in the forums is a howto on clearing the drains to the Sunroof?

Can someone post a picture

Thanks!
-Dave in Birmingham, AL
Here are the front and rear drain locations.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...oofdrain1a.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...oofdrain1b.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:55 AM   #4
Hink3000
Hink3000 is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same problem. Leaking sunroof. Unfortunately I'm such a newbie I can't find the related links you mentioned. Could you post the link or explain how I find it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hink3000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hink3000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hink3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:23 AM   #5
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

The front is located here and the rear is located here

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-15-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Is the front one high enough to make water drip down from the glove box area? I'm having trouble picturing the exact placement of it, but I've never had the kick panel off.
I'm about ready to just cut a section out of one of my '93s and JB weld the sucker in place of the sunroof (sunroof to no sunroof conversion...I've got enough "no sunroof" headliners...). I hate the stupid thing.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
Hink3000
Hink3000 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Down Re: Please help with cleaning Sunroof Drains

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Is the front one high enough to make water drip down from the glove box area? I'm having trouble picturing the exact placement of it, but I've never had the kick panel off.
I'm about ready to just cut a section out of one of my '93s and JB weld the sucker in place of the sunroof (sunroof to no sunroof conversion...I've got enough "no sunroof" headliners...). I hate the stupid thing.
I'm the same way. I hate my stupid sunroof The motor's broke three times and now it leaks. I hardly ever used it and the motor burned up. Had nothing but trouble with it since I got the car. $600 for Saturn to replace it is not worth it IMO.

1996 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hink3000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hink3000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hink3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:24 AM   #8
SatSL2fan
SatSL2fan is on a distinguished road

New to me.. is there a way to test the drains without pulling the panels or do you have to get in there for a visual? Does minor leakage point to a blockage?

1996 SL2 150K new tires

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SatSL2fan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SatSL2fan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SatSL2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:18 AM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Nevermind, I found it. Not hard, just pull/pry the kick panel (it's built into the door sill thing on my SC1) out, then pull the carpet back, then pull the rubber "flap" up.

The drain felt like it was stuck on the bottom, but very loose going up towards the roof. Is that normal? I didn't dare pull on it too hard...

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:28 AM   #10
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Get some compress air and blow the stuff out of the drain hoses.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:35 PM   #11
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

in that front picture, why is some of the frame metal cut and bent downward? aren't you afraid of that metal rusting now?

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 01:32 PM   #12
richpin06

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by geartooth94 View Post
in that front picture, why is some of the frame metal cut and bent downward? aren't you afraid of that metal rusting now?
With the front of the car looking like this i think my cutting of that metal is the least of it's problems......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2007, 10:17 PM   #13
geartooth94
Master Member

maybe get a pic of the front a bit zoomed out so it's clearer where the tube ends. the back tube pic is perfectly clear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2007, 08:45 AM   #14
richpin06

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by geartooth94 View Post
maybe get a pic of the front a bit zoomed out so it's clearer where the tube ends. the back tube pic is perfectly clear.
Zoomed out pic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #15
geartooth94
Master Member

very awesome. looks like the outer fender does not need to come off then. couldn't tell if it was accessed from outside or inside.

B/T/W Charlie please sticky this thread and/or move it to the how-to. It's the first time I've ever seen clearly how to clean the sunroof drains without confusing everyone that reads it.

Last edited by geartooth94; 09-17-2007 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: sticky

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2007, 09:30 PM   #16
TwinRevver
Advanced Member
TwinRevver is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL1

Hey richpin, is that a leather interior?? Im looking for some leathers...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwinRevver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwinRevver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwinRevver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:06 AM   #17
richpin06

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinRevver View Post
Hey richpin, is that a leather interior?? Im looking for some leathers...
It looks like those seats were leather.I say were because that car is gone from the yard now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!