SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
saturn95
saturn95 has a spectacular aura aboutsaturn95 has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL2
2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Fluctuating Idle

Hi guys, recently on my manual 07 Ion 2, when I slow down to a stop with the clutch in the idle drops very low. Then I can see it flutuate up and down until it stabilizes to a certain RPM.
Also when running the AC, the ac lines seem to vibrate a lot as well as the car. Once the RPM is higher(when accelerating) it goes away. I am not sure if these problems are related but I thought I would mention it.
Any ideas what the problem is? Any specific sensor like the idle sensor?
Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn95's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn95 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
johnk
johnk is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Fluctuating Idle

Have you cleaned your mass airflow sensor yet? Should help with the idle. Takes about ten minutes to remove, clean and replace. Pick up a can of mass airflow sensor cleaner at your local auto parts store and give it a try. Basically you remove the sensor (in line on the air intake between the filter box and the throttle body) spray it down with the cleaner being careful not to touch the components in it, let it air dry, replace, reconnect and test it out.

Cleaning it made my 05 stop doing the idle hunt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
saturn95

2001 SL2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Thanks I will give that a try and will let you know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn95 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I have a whole thread stickied in this section about PM. look through and follow it.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
saturn95

2001 SL2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

I tried cleanning the sensor and nothing. The idle still fluctuates randomly when coming to a stop. Anybody had the same problem? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
saturn95

2001 SL2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
Have you cleaned your mass airflow sensor yet? Should help with the idle. Takes about ten minutes to remove, clean and replace. Pick up a can of mass airflow sensor cleaner at your local auto parts store and give it a try. Basically you remove the sensor (in line on the air intake between the filter box and the throttle body) spray it down with the cleaner being careful not to touch the components in it, let it air dry, replace, reconnect and test it out.

Cleaning it made my 05 stop doing the idle hunt.
Tried cleaning the MAF sensor and it stills hunts for the idle when coming to a stop. Can the throtle body sensor cause this? Should I clean this? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

There is no replaceable sensor in tbw tbs. Did you do everything in my thread?

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
saturn95

2001 SL2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
There is no replaceable sensor in tbw tbs. Did you do everything in my thread?
Have not done it all. I re-read your post and I will try cleaning the IAT and the throtle body.

Can I do this with MAF cleaner? And can you tell me what the general location of the IAT sensor is at? I looked at a picture of the sensor online so I should spot it quickly when I know the general area. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

05-07 ions don't have an IAT because the computer can simply hold the throttle plate where it wants it. you can clean every sensor and TBs with MAF cleaner. if you have to only buy one cleaner for PM on modern car engines I recommend MAF cleaner.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
saturn95

2001 SL2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
05-07 ions don't have an IAT because the computer can simply hold the throttle plate where it wants it. you can clean every sensor and TBs with MAF cleaner. if you have to only buy one cleaner for PM on modern car engines I recommend MAF cleaner.
ok I misunderstood your posting then. When you say"on the rest of the ions, you have a combined MAF and IAT", you meant that the MAF and IAT are one sensor and that the other sensor is the TPS correct?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

correct, sort of. the IAT is in the MAF.

there are no serviceable/cleanable sensors in the TB. no air temp sensor, the MAF does that. there is no TPS, that's part of the throttle actuator motor. no IAC (that's the one I meant in my last post), because the computer can hold the throttle plate wherever it wants whenever it wants to.

on 05-07 ions and LSJs, you literally just disconnect the TB, remove it from the car with 4 bolts, gently open the throttle plate, and wipe it clean with cleaner on a rag.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #12
saturn95

2001 SL2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Finally, I got around cleanning the throttle body with MAF sensor cleaner; it was very dirty.

Now the problem is that the car idles very high at around 2000rpm sometimes higher. Then after maybe 15 seconds it comes back down. This happens everytime I press the clutch in or put it in neutral.

I did read another thread here about a guy who had the same problem and the car seemed to fix it self after a while. There is some kind of relearn process, but I followed the steps and I am in the same position. I have driven the car about 100 miles now with a lot of 50mph and some 70mph. Any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #13
saturn95

2001 SL2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

After about 200 miles the relearn process was completed and it returned to normal. I know for a fact that after 100 miles the relearn process was not done( maybe my saturn is not very smart). I think it has to do with cycling the car on and off rather than total distance. I work about 40 miles away so after two back and forth drives I make it over 100 miles and the RPM was still high.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #14
saturn95

2001 SL2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

The car continues to fluctuate while idleing when coming to a stop. After cleaning the Tb it seemed to go away, but by now it is back and becoming more frequent.

Is there anything else I could check? The car runs great otherwise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #15
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Sometimes, tunnel vision gets in the way.

Mileage, maintenance done to date? Any modifications like a cold air intake, remote start, etc.?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #16
saturn95

2001 SL2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

I bought the car with 64,000 miles and it just hit 80,000 miles. I have not done anything to it but an oil change and throttle body and MAF sensor cleaning.
It has been having the same symptomps pretty much since I bought it.

If I remember correctly, I removed the sparkplugs to check them out and looked good.

I recently purchased a PC-based scan tool and hooked it up yesterday and it had no stored codes.

Do these throttle bodies go bad at all on these? Is there any signal I can look in the scan tool to see if the throttle body or the MAF sensor is working correctly?
Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-No SES/error light = no current error code(s). Your scantool will pay for itself eventually as soon as the first real error code pops up............

2-Is your air intake system stock or aftermarket? Drive-by-wire systems with a maf sensor require a little more attention to sealing against vacuum leaks between the maf sensor and throttle actuator module. Any incorrect clamping of the intake air tubing or damage resulting in a vacuum leak between the maf sensor and throttle will skew air flow readings - this will cause major engine running issues. Any aftermarket air intake mod may also alter and grossly affect engine running. Even an oiled air filter may cause maf sensor issues.

Since model year 2000, L300's have electronic dbw systems that have never caused any major problems (think Toyota runaway engine that was proven not to be caused by a runaway electronically controlled engine). Vues also have dbw and only one member replaced his a few years ago. Thousands of dbw systems are all over the world in almost every expensive car/suv without a major problem. Dbw systems do have a default program to run in 'reduced power mode' if something goes wrong with the ecm, electronic pedal or electric/electronic throttle. You haven't described any reduced power/limp home mode so your electronic throttle is fine and not the problem. There's a simple test you or anyone can do to see for yourself; remove the intake air tubing so you can see the throttle plate and have someone turn the ignition ON (engine OFF) and slowly press the gas pedal down and slowly release it back up while you observe the throttle plate. You should see the throttle plate open and close in direct proportion to pedal movement as if it were cable operated except there are no cables. All electronics.

3-Read the operating instructions for your scantool and start using it to become familiar with it. There are many functions that vary from reader to reader. Throttle position and coolant temperature are some basic signals common to most scantools.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote