SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #41
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco 5sp Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 214k.

1996 SL2
Default Re: New (used) sc2 issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehunter View Post
This can happen if your ectc wires are being shorted out which is he opposite of having corrosion on the head of ects connector.
This cant be true because if the wires were shorting out the result would be reflected on the gauge too. Have to look elsewhere. I remember though that inside your fuse box under the hood there is a large cubed-like plugin that has to do with the running your fan. I dont know enough about it though to run through diagnostics aside from being able to apply a jumper from one pen slot to another to force test the fan. The gray cube is identified by the underside writing of the plastic cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #42
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehunter View Post
This cant be true because if the wires were shorting out the result would be reflected on the gauge too. Have to look elsewhere. I remember though that inside your fuse box under the hood there is a large cubed-like plugin that has to do with the running your fan. I dont know enough about it though to run through diagnostics aside from being able to apply a jumper from one pen slot to another to force test the fan. The gray cube is identified by the underside writing of the plastic cover.
Actually if the ECTS wiring gets shorted, it would set a code, turn on the hot light, the gauge would be pegged at 1/2, and the fan would be on all the time. all the while you're running a VERY lean mixture.

also, you _might_ be able to run an ammeter across the pin holes in the fuse box for the relay coil, and the pin holes for the contact to check to see if electricity is going as it should. You can also pull the relay and put a 9v battery across the relay coil pins; if it clicks, then you should be able to use an ohmmeter on the contact pins to check for continuity while keeping the 9v battery across the relay coil pins. Otherwise, your relay is no good and should be R&R'd (and it _might_ set off the service wrench as well; not sure).

oh yeah, those gray cubes actually happen to be relays. they have a diagram on them to show you which pins go where.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #43
SaturnFix
SaturnFix will become famous soon enoughSaturnFix will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1996 SC2

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=28

What are the results?

What is your Saturn's oil economy?
Canada Saturn owners REVOLT!!! Improper factory spark plugs! c.c
If you are in the Southern Wisconsin area, check out: facebook.com/SaturnFix

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnFix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnFix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:45 AM   #44
jbjones1
jbjones1 is on a distinguished road

Okay so here is the latest update. The idle test I did yesterday , the AC was on which is what caused the fan to run continuously. In addition I measured the volts of the EGR connector and found that it was spot on. (4.98 volts out of terminal d) After that, I pulled off the MAP sensor to test it per the Richpin video. When I backprobed the green wire terminal I was only getting 4.3 volts, and in addition, as I increased the vacuum pressure the voltage did not move and bascially stayed the same. I think that means I need a new MAP sensor. Do you agree. Also When I removed the throttle body to gain easier access to the MAP, I noticed how dirty the inside of the manifold is (thick, greasy, black residue) and also the tip of the MAP sensor was coated. How can I clean the inside? and should I try to clean the MAP before I buy a new one.( I read somewhere that you can use isopropyl alcohol to clean them?) Could a bad MAP cause the bucking, and also be causing the misfire code I keep getting and also influence the EGR?

If the MAP doesnt work, my next step i think is going to have the catalytic converter looked at, and also test the O2 sensor.

Keep in mind this is what I have done so far: new copper plugs, new spark plug wires, new air filter, cleaned and replace EGR, cleaned and replaced another junk yard EGR. Replaced the ECTS and the connection, and cleaned the throttle body.

Any advice or feedback on the above information is greatly appreciated.

Jared
2001 SC2

Previously
1999 SL1
2005 Ion1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jbjones1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jbjones1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jbjones1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:15 AM   #45
southaeastpunk
southaeastpunk is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2008 SKY Red Line

this is completely unrelated

but what about the PCV?

not that it would have much of effect, but they do tend to gum up.

mine was until i cleaned it. there wasn't much of a noticeable difference in idle afterwards but i saw a slight mpg increase.

might as well replace it or clean it out while you're in there.
it will help your emissions

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to southaeastpunk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help southaeastpunk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
southaeastpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:16 AM   #46
radi
radi is on a distinguished road

MAP sensor voltage should decrease towards zero as more vacuum is applied. If you are reading 4.98 volts with full vacuum applied, the thing thinks your throttle is wide open all the time.
I'm not sure what you might clean it with, but I'll bet its plugged.
I'd think an electrical cleaner that fully evaporates, like CRC would be safe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to radi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help radi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
radi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #47
SaturnFix
SaturnFix will become famous soon enoughSaturnFix will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjones1 View Post
Okay so here is the latest update. The idle test I did yesterday , the AC was on which is what caused the fan to run continuously. In addition I measured the volts of the EGR connector and found that it was spot on. (4.98 volts out of terminal d) After that, I pulled off the MAP sensor to test it per the Richpin video. When I backprobed the green wire terminal I was only getting 4.3 volts, and in addition, as I increased the vacuum pressure the voltage did not move and bascially stayed the same. I think that means I need a new MAP sensor. Do you agree. Also When I removed the throttle body to gain easier access to the MAP, I noticed how dirty the inside of the manifold is (thick, greasy, black residue) and also the tip of the MAP sensor was coated. How can I clean the inside? and should I try to clean the MAP before I buy a new one.( I read somewhere that you can use isopropyl alcohol to clean them?) Could a bad MAP cause the bucking, and also be causing the misfire code I keep getting and also influence the EGR?
THe light green wire is the reference signal and it should be between 4-6 volts. The black wire is the MAP signal, 1-1.5 volts at idle, 4-4.5 volts at wide open throttle.

How about the voltage reading between terminals C and D on the EGR harness?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnFix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #48
jbjones1

it was the same. 4.97 volts

Jared
2001 SC2

Previously
1999 SL1
2005 Ion1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jbjones1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #49
SaturnFix

1995 SC2
1996 SC2

Try with unplugging the black plug from the PCM (the one with like 80 pins), and test the continuity to ground the brown wire at EGR plug (pin C).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #50
jbjones1

Well its not the map sensor. Put a new one in. same result. Im just going to buy a new egr valve and see if that does the trick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #51
jbjones1

I am really starting to hate this car. I bought a saturn because they were such easy cars to work on but I would do anything to get my money back. So a new MAP sensor didnt do anything, and neither did a new EGR. Between everything Ive done to try to figure this out, I am already over 300 bucks and nothing has changed. Same symptoms (hesitation, bucking, erratic idle etc) and I am no closer to figuring this out.

As a newbie to this stuff, what is process of "testing the continuity"? How do I do that?

Does anyone think that the O2 sensor is the problem, or the catalytic converter? Or if was those things would I be getting error codes from them?

Thanks for everyones help..

Jared
2001 SC2

Previously
1999 SL1
2005 Ion1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #52
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Testing continuity
http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/homem...inuitytest.php

diagnosing by putting new parts on gets expensive quickly.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #53
jbjones1

I guess my multimeter doesnt have a continuity setting so I cant test the continuity between the egr and the pcm.

A couple of the error codes both mentioned possible vacuum problems. And also MAF and VAF sensors. I know there is a video on checking for vacuum problems. Where is the VAF and MAF on my saturn?

Jared
2001 SC2

Previously
1999 SL1
2005 Ion1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #54
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

If your meter measures resistance, you can use it to determine continuity.

Our cars have no MAF or VAF sensor. What is a VAF sensor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:38 AM   #55
radi
radi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
If your meter measures resistance, you can use it to determine continuity.
Right. Set it to the Rx1 scale. Touch the probes together, you should see zero ohms resistance. That's what you should see between Pin C and chassis ground.
A fraction of an ohm is OK, anything more than that and the connection is suspect.

VAF is a Vane Airflow Sensor. 80's Bosch L-Jetronic injection used them, as did some later Ford products with Bosch injection. It's spring loaded flap placed just before the throttle plate to measure airflow. I don't believe Saturn or GM has ever used them.

Last edited by radi; 04-24-2011 at 01:50 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to radi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help radi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
radi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #56
jbjones1

After testing continuity, everything was normal. Finally decided to bite the bullet and take it to the mechanic. They diagnosed bad coil pack and said that the misfire, egr, map codes are caused by the bad coil pack. Hopefully they are right and thats all it is... We'll see. I pick the car up in an hour or so, I hope to give the final update when I see if works..... (fingers crossed)

Jared
2001 SC2

Previously
1999 SL1
2005 Ion1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!