SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
moe3456
moe3456 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Helllp noob weird drop in rpm

Hello, as it says I am a noob to owning a saturn. Just got a 2002 Saturn L-series 3.0L engine sedan.
Im into car audio and I just recently put my system back into my car. Im a noob to having a saturn but, not doing car electrical systems. I left the standard acid battery along in the engine comparment and added a Gel Cell battery. Its just as if not bigger then the one I have in the front. Im using that to power the amps and speakers. I have 2 600.1 Diamond Audio amps connected to 2 12" Pioneer Premier Subs 3000 watts max and 1000 watts RMS running at 2 OHM load.

Both battery are run in a parrellel (+ to + and - to -) so both batteries are running at a 13.75 amps with the car ideling. Both suppliment what their wired to with excessive power in reserve.

Now heres my Question. Knowing all of that when I start to higher the volume on the radio (it goes to 40) at around 30 to 32 on the volume I can see that the RPM gauge start to move up and down. The worst it got to was about 350RPM and the highest was around 1000 RPM. It moves within that boundry at that level.

What is causing this to happen?
Is it a alternator problem? Do I have to get a high performance alternator?
Could I be overloading a circuit?

Also I the service engine light came on today and there are no codes stored or active.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to moe3456's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help moe3456 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
moe3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Frostman
Frostman will become famous soon enoughFrostman will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
1993 SL1
Default Re: Helllp noob weird drop in rpm

Have you done the "Big Three" to your car? I have a tiny amp in comparison, an old rockford fosgate punch 301m (300 rms\900 max). I used 4 gauge all around. It actually ends up being the big 5 once your done. GM thought it was a good idea to have the starter and the alternator daisy chained on the same wire. One to the block, fuse box, starter, alternator and one to the frame. Six if you run another one to the upper frame ground for I think one of the control modules, I can't remember for sure what runs off of it. I know the starter doesn't need one for this application, but my engine turns over like a beast now lol

Just with this done, I noticed my idle smoothed out and the RPM's don't drop as hard even when you put the windows up and down. I can't tell you if the stock wire sucks because I changed it within two weeks of owning the car and installing my stereo.

EDIT! I just noticed you have a 3.0l after reading your post again. The wire count maybe different on yours as I have a 2.2. But I can't see the big three being too much different, locations will change a bit obviously.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Frostman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Frostman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Frostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
shattered831
shattered831 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Helllp noob weird drop in rpm

Are any of the lights dimming, headlights ect... needs to be checked anyway if it's a night driver could cause dimming of the tails. I would say the big three aren't out of the question but start with the wiring and work your way up, pending on how old your stock battery is it could be holding up the system as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shattered831's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shattered831 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shattered831 is offline   Reply With Quote