SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2005, 09:39 AM   #1
kidrobinski
kidrobinski is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default Security System Went Bananas

New board member, been lurking for a while. Good board, tons of good information, but the more I read lately the more I have begun to to worry about this car down the road.

I bought a 2001 LW wagon 4-cyl last June with 24000 miles on it. Loved the car from the moment I saw it, and have been very impressed so far. Have since put 15000 trouble free miles on it, until yesterday.

Actually the problem began about two weeks back. Randomly, when I would hit "unlock" on the remote transmitter, the panic alarm would go off until I pressed the button it wanted to see (I don't know which one it was, other than it was not the "panic" button, and I was "panicked"), then all was well.

Yesterday (first day back at work, had been on vacation for a week), as I was leaving work, the "panic" alarm went off again when I pressed "unlock". This time I was able to see that pressing the "unlock trunk" button would silence the alarm.

Got in, went motoring down the road, when after about 2-3 miles the panic alarm (horn blowing) goes off while I am cruising about 45 mph (much more intensely than the usual "beep....beep....beep...", this was a "beepbeepbeepbeepbeep") and the security light comes on. I pulled into the median, turned off the ignition, pressed the "unlock trunk" button, and the alarm silenced.

Cranked back up, went on my way, arrived at the grocery store. Put in park, removed the key, and....nothing. Normally the doors will unlock when the key is removed. Had to physically unlock the door, at which time I discovered that now NOTHING on the transmitter worked, nor would the engine crank (it would start, then immediately shut off). Fiddled and fiddled, read the owners manual (a bit tough when it's 98 degrees outside) and tried the different instructions (with no response), somehow eventually the engine cranked again. Moved it to a more accessible location in the event a tow was neccessary, shut it off, same thing again. No cranking, no transmitter functionality.

Called the wife and went to stand in the shade. While waiting on her (our home is around 25 minutes away) after about 10 minutes or so, the panic alarm goes off of it's own accord! I sprint across the parking lot, hit the "unlock trunk" button, and she goes back silent again.

Long story short, my wife's transmitter seemingly worked fine (the locks responded and the engine cranked), as does mine *seemingly* now that I have replaced the battery in the transmitter. What worries me is that the manual makes no mention of a weak transmitter battery causing the total chaos I experienced yesterday, only that you will have to move increasingly closer to the vehicle for the transmitter to function with a dying transmitter battery.

I apologize for the length of this post. It's obvious the knowledge is here on these forums. I did a search, but couldn't come up with my exact problem. Hoping someone has knowledge of a transmitter causing problems like I described, or if I more likely have an electrical issue somewhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kidrobinski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kidrobinski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kidrobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2005, 10:41 AM   #2
jessy0780
jessy0780 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Security System Went Bananas

Okay, I had the same problems with the transmitter a few months ago- it got so that everytime I tried to use it it went nuts, then it just started randomly going off while I was driving. I also couldn't unlock or lock my doors. Turns out I needed a new computer. It cost me around $550 to get that put in, and then I ended up having to buy another transmitter. My advice is to take it in now, before it gets worse. Good luck & let me know what happens.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jessy0780's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jessy0780 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jessy0780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:46 AM   #3
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Do a search on here regarding "BCM." That what it sounds like.
You will find aplenty. I had mine replaced under warranty last year. Cost would have been $300-400.

Welcome to the boards! Too bad your visit hasn't been a pleasant one so far.

BTW, I CAN'T STAND THAT DAMN RED PANIC BUTTON!!!
It must go off 10 tens a week when I put my keys in my pocket.
Any way to disable it?

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 02:26 PM   #4
kidrobinski

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Thanks, guys.

Well, my relief from changing the battery in the transmitter was short-lived; the same thing is happening today.

Bought the car AND an extended warranty from a CarMax 90 minutes away (extended warranty will expire in another couple months). I asked when I bought it what they would do if warranty work was neccessary, and they indicated they would take it to the Saturn dealership, so we'll see how that goes.

Earliest appointment was next Tuesday. I'll let you guys know what happened.

After reading of all the BCM problems on here, the lack of a recall does not give me the warm and fuzzy. At least there is a recall on the brake light situation.

And timing CHAINS breaking at less than 50k?? That's not good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kidrobinski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-16-2005, 03:49 PM   #5
boomerang86
boomerang86 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

A similar thing happened with the security system on our 2002 L200. Again, the BCM was the culprit and it ran us close to $500, parts and labor.

We have the L4 and don't abuse the motor, religiously changing the oil every 3000 miles. Here's hoping our timing chain makes it through our next 22 payments.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to boomerang86's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help boomerang86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
boomerang86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:09 PM   #6
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik
BTW, I CAN'T STAND THAT DAMN RED PANIC BUTTON!!!
It must go off 10 tens a week when I put my keys in my pocket.
Any way to disable it?
Take the remote apart, like you were going to replace the batteries. Pull the rubber membrane off of the circuit board (it will come off easily.. its designed to - you'll see when you get in there). Take a small piece of electrical tape, and cover the contact for the panic button up.
Reassemble, and enjoy not having the neighbors call you an ass at 4AM for setting off the panic alarm by mistake
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 09:45 AM   #7
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Great idea.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:02 AM   #8
kidrobinski

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Good tip, Ohio.

Well, my drive home yesterday was a treat, as the security alarm would once again roar frantically to life every 4-5 minutes (a real attention getter, btw). Standard procedure was to pull over wherever, try to avoid all the stares, turn off the ignition (horn still frantically honking and security light steady), remove key from ignition (horn still frantically honking and security light steady), depress the trunk release button (horn would silence but security light remains), re-insert key and crank engine (security light goes off), put in gear and proceed normally, then repeat 4-5 minutes later. Finally found by accident on the 6th time that engaging the turn signal would silence the horn and allow you to keep moving without stopping (security light remained on).

Finally got home and shut her off. Went in and called the Saturn dealership 70 miles away (forget about CarMax, they'd end up taking it to Saturn anyway), Saturn told me to bring it in at 7:30 this morning. I did so (the car behaved flawlessly and silently the entire 70 miles, and of course wouldn't make a peep at the dealership no matter how many things I tried to awaken the demon).

I mentioned what I have been reading about the BCM, they said yup, that's what it sounds like, and they would check it out. Service rep just called me and said the technician had checked it out and yup, BCM, covered under my extended warranty with CarMax.

Gotta say I was super impressed with the dealership, both appearance and personnel. I have never been treated as courteously and attentively at other dealerships I've been to, and I've been to plenty (51 years young). I was also impressed with the fact that there were only 2 other cars besides mine in for service while I was there, one for routine service and the other a 2000 model with 150k miles on it (at other brand X dealerships, from what I've seen they're usually lined up 10-15 deep at opening time). It has kind of restored my faith and hope in Saturn a bit.

Anyway, for you guys that had the BCM replaced....have the replacements held up well, or have you had to return them again eventually for more BCM related problems?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2005, 12:25 PM   #9
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Glad it's taken care of. For the record, one could pull the plug at the horn to silence it while having these problems...certainly doesn't solve the problem, but for the time being, it would stop the stares.

Guess it's just a matter of time till just about any L car needs a new BCM. Anyone know how hard it is to install?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:47 AM   #10
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioVueBoy
Take the remote apart, like you were going to replace the batteries. Pull the rubber membrane off of the circuit board (it will come off easily.. its designed to - you'll see when you get in there). Take a small piece of electrical tape, and cover the contact for the panic button up.
Reassemble, and enjoy not having the neighbors call you an ass at 4AM for setting off the panic alarm by mistake
~D.J.~
Thanx, man.
Sounds like the first thing to do when I get home tonight.
Battery life has pretty poor in it lately. The last one lasted only a month.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:17 AM   #11
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackepj
Guess it's just a matter of time till just about any L car needs a new BCM. Anyone know how hard it is to install?
It's easy to install... it's on top of the glovebox. A retailer service department has to program it though.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote