SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
legacy
legacy will become famous soon enough

1998 SL1
Default Running Issue

Well, here's yet another running issue for you Saturn Guru's! I've been reading all of the other threads regarding running issues and have been trying to figure this out. No luck yet.

I have a '98 SL1. Over the past year and a half +, this has been getting progessively worse. I live in Southern Utah and now that it's starting to get hot, I need to get this figured out. As the car heats up, under load, acceleration it starts to cut out, buck and sometimes quite violently. It idols rough as well. I ended up taking it to the dealer and they just told me there's nothing they can do because no SES light and no codes.

I've done all tune-up items including fuel filter. I have replaced the coolent temp sensor. I have cleaned the EGR and checked the PCV valve (those 2 things SEEM okay). Compression is okay and I have tried new coil packs and cleaned area where ignition module contacts tranny case. I'm at a loss right now. Any words of support would be appreciated.

This is my first post and this is a great forum by the way!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to legacy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help legacy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Running Issue

What have you done to the injectors?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
legacy

1998 SL1

Nothing......yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help legacy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy View Post
It idols rough as well.
Are all your cylinders firing?

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
legacy

1998 SL1

From what I can tell, all cylinders are firing. I have spark at each plug and good compression. No signs of a dead cylinder. The rough idle is somewhat intermittant. As soon as I bring it above idle in neutral it smooths right out. While driving, it runs great.....until the bucking starts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Try disconnecting the wiring to the EGR valve and drive; as long as the idle is reasonably smooth this will be an indication that the valve is closed and not allowing any exhaust gases into the intake manifold at idle rpm. Its supposed to allow diluting the fresh intake air during moderate acceleration to lower combustion temperatures for emissions. Too much exhaust will cause engine problems from, hesitation, stumbling, and stalling. By temporarily leaving it electrically disconnected it won't alter the air/fuel mixture, just turn on the SES light. If the power returns then the EGR needs some more TLC and/or the exhaust port needs to be 'blown out'; leaving the EGR valve off the engine and starting up will create a LOUD exhaust noise from the port as the carbon deposits blow out and the engine revs. Run it this way for a few seconds then reassemble everything. Hopefully this cures the running issue.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote