SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
16Victor
16Victor is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
Default 2.2L I4 Coolant Leak - Water Pump?

My Vue has 108,000 miles, it was bone dry until the weather warmed up and I noticed a coolant puddle after parking the car. Had a hard time tracking it down, but noticed it was coming from the back of block. Couldn't get a really good look but it was leaking from the backside of the water pump area, near the horizontal tube.

I figure it's a water pump - does that area line up with where they leak when they fail? Or is it maybe a thermostat gasket (which don't typically just start leaking on their own, in my experience). Is there anything else that might leak back there and might save me a water pump job (which I hear is a PITA)?

Thanks,

Ron

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 16Victor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 16Victor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
16Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
03vuevti2af23
03vuevti2af23 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2.2L I4 Coolant Leak - Water Pump?

With 108k on the clock it is very possible that the water pump is leaking. I have seen them start leaking @ about 80k.

Double check the hoses that come from the heater core and connect to the pipe that runs from the water pump. I had one a while back that was leaking slightly from one of those hoses and the coolant ran along the pipe and dripped from the rear of the engine.

It might sound like a long shot but saved some time and effort. The water pump is a bear to change out because you have to unseat the motor, (or just plain remove it for some people), and it is not alot of fun.

Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 03vuevti2af23's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 03vuevti2af23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
03vuevti2af23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
16Victor

2008 Outlook XR

Well, fearing the worst, I bought the tool to change the pump. It certainly didn't look like I needed monkey with the motor but thanks for the forewarning. Heater hoses looked good on both ends but I'll probably change them out anyhow.

Thanks,

Ron

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 16Victor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
DavidBo
DavidBo will become famous soon enough

2002 VUE 2.2L

Here's a cut and paste of an old post of mine. No motor shifting required but it was a challenge, do at your own risk!

Re: 2004 4-cyl. getting pretty hot :-/ (over 100k miles

I changed the thermostat on my 2002 4cyl when I replaced the water pump (not for the faint of heart!). It's located inside a two piece metal tube behind the engine. I drained the radiator and removed the drain plug from the bottom of the water pump. I removed the upper radiator hose from the engine, then removed 2 nuts securing a bracket the supports the hose fitting on the engine. Next remove the exhaust manifold heatshield. Get the car on jackstands; give yourself enough room under there as you safely can. You'll see the tube running from the water pump up to the top of the engine. There's two bolts securing the tube to the cylinder head that have to be removed, then the tube will only be held by the pump and heater hose. I replaced my pump so I had to pull the tube out. It took a lot of twisting, tugging and colorful metaphors before it came loose. I didn't pull the tube all the way out from the car as there are still small hoses attached, so I removed the two bolts holding the halves together and found that pesky thermostat hiding inside. Pay attention the the orientation of the new t-stat and bolt everything back together. There's an o-ring on the part of the tube that attaches to the cylinder head, be sure that's in place before you resecure it.
I highly recommend getting a Haynes book or something similar as this was just a brief rundown. If your going through the trouble you might as well change the pump while you are in there, just don't forget the special tool required to hold the sprocket in place. Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DavidBo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DavidBo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
16Victor

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
I drained the radiator and removed the drain plug from the bottom of the water pump.
Oh yeah, and don't put carpet or towels under the car at this point, because the coolant drains from the pump just above a bunch of crap that lets the coolant splash all over the place. You can't catch it in a bucket.

Quote:
...Get the car on jackstands; give yourself enough room under there as you safely can.
You do need to do this, but then you can't reach over the top of the engine to get to the back unless you're Yao Ming. And then your hands would be too big. I just climbed on top and sacrificed the knees.

Quote:
...It took a lot of twisting, tugging and colorful metaphors before it came loose.
Yeah, me too, but I haven't got the bàstard out yet. Too much tasty coolant pouring into my face for my liking. I'm only halfway through and I'm PO'd already...and I have a very nice set of tools, room, time, and a ton of experience.

Quote:
I highly recommend getting a Haynes book or something similar as this was just a brief rundown. If your going through the trouble you might as well change the pump while you are in there, just don't forget the special tool required to hold the sprocket in place. Good luck!
Oh yes, you need some printed help. I spent $11 to some opportunist on eBay for a 427Mbyte manual, and thought I got ripped off at first...but the info is well worth it.

And that tool is absolutely invaluable, but guess where the sprocket bolts fall when you loosen them? BEHIND the freaking tool.

I'm done for tonight, but I want to claim one thing...I want to be first in line to smack the son of a bítch who allowed this design to reach production. Engineer, manager, executive, accountant, I don't care, this is pure stupidity.

Oh, and my exhaust manifold has a nice big crack, too.

Done for tonight, where's my whiskey?

Ron

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
16Victor

2008 Outlook XR

OK, a good night's sleep and back at it. I'm not as mad as I was last night but still unimpressed.

Now that I have the water pump out, I wonder if it is really what failed...if a bearing seal failed, it'd leak into the crankcase via the timing belt area...odd design. Does this ever happen?
I can't see how it'd leak externally. I imagine the o-rings on the goofy pipe failed, but am not sure. Still, it's all getting replaced, including the 'stat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!