SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2017, 02:32 PM   #1
magician22773
magician22773 will become famous soon enough

1997 SL
2001 SL1
Default Sporadic High Idle

2001 SL1 107k miles.

I am getting a intermittent high idle condition. Being that it is a 3rd gen SOHC, I immediately suspected intake gasket. But I have sprayed a full can of brake cleaner everywhere I can think of, especially around #1, and I get no change in the way the car runs. The only thing I have not been able to do, is try to spray while the car is idling high. It is so sporadic that I haven't been able to catch it just yet.

I have not checked or changed the ECT yet, but it isn't showing any other signs of a bad sensor ... temp gauge still works normally, when its not wanting to idle at 2500RPM, it idles smooth, fuel mileage is great, ect.

If there is one common denominator, it seems to happen more frequently after I have driven slowly (as in pretty much driving at or near idle). The most common time it occurs is when I pull in my driveway, and that is after driving 3/4 mile through the neighborhood at 20mph.

What course of action would you recommend?

Since changing the intake gasket isn't exactly an easy thing to do, I don't want to go that route since I cannot seem to get any proof of a leak. I don't mind changing the ECT since that is easy, and probably should be done anyway.

Also ... how concerned should I be with this? As in, if it does come down to an intake gasket, can it wait for the weekend? My concern is stress on the transmission, since I can tell when the idle is going wonky because I am having to hold the car pretty solid with the brakes when stopped, and I can tell a pretty pronounced difference in shifting ... not quite a slam, but definitely not smooth.

1994 SC2 Retired
1996 SL "FrankenSaturn"
1998 SL2 FrankenSaturn's Body Donor
2004 Vue "What was I thinking?"
2001 SL1 100k Mile Baby Blue Beauty
1999 SL2 Thank You Tiger!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magician22773's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magician22773 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magician22773 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: Sporadic High Idle

Interesting, sounds similar to the LW200 Saturn my wife had before the car went toast.
She would be pulling into like a Walmart parking slot and while turning the wheel, the idiot car would all on it's own jump up to like 2500 rpm and there she was almost unable to prevent hitting another vehicle.

Because it would happen without any warning, it was frightening and dangerous.
Replaced TPS (twice) IAC & sprayed stuff all around, but to no avail.

We never solved that issue, and then the car body panels melted due to fervent heat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
magician22773

1997 SL
2001 SL1

Just to give a little update.

I had a little time after work before the sun went down, so I pulled the ECTS, and everything looked good. It is, as I expected, the original, but it is the 3rd gen style, which appears to be solid, yet still has some type of coating on it.

QUESTION: Should I replace this, just for good measure? I have always immediately replaced the ECTS on my older S Series, but this is my first 3rd gen, so I am not sure if it is as necessary as it was on the older ones.

A quick test drive to the gas station yielded normal results, no high idle. But that isn't necessarily abnormal. It doesn't happen all the time, in fact it happens less often than normal.

I did spray brake clean again all around the intake gasket, and still no noticeable difference. I am at least 90% confident that I have sprayed every possible inch of the intake gasket, outside of crawling under the car and spraying from underneath.

1994 SC2 Retired
1996 SL "FrankenSaturn"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help magician22773 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-31-2017, 04:58 PM   #4
magician22773

1997 SL
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Interesting, sounds similar to the LW200 Saturn my wife had before the car went toast.
She would be pulling into like a Walmart parking slot and while turning the wheel, the idiot car would all on it's own jump up to like 2500 rpm and there she was almost unable to prevent hitting another vehicle.

Because it would happen without any warning, it was frightening and dangerous.
Replaced TPS (twice) IAC & sprayed stuff all around, but to no avail.

We never solved that issue, and then the car body panels melted due to fervent heat.
Mine isn't "jumping" like that, thank goodness. It either idles correctly, or it idles at around 2500rpm. So far, it hasn't jumped from one condition to the other. When it is idling high, I can feel it pulling the car when stopped, and it will take off pretty abruptly when I let off the brake.

1994 SC2 Retired
1996 SL "FrankenSaturn"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-31-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It's probably not leaking intake manifold gasket. Other areas for a vacuum leak may be the throttle body gasket if the throttle body is loose and dry rot on the brake vacuum boost hose between intake manifold and brake boost unit. A worn throttle position sensor can be checked; at the next high idle event, pull off the road and shut down the engine. Without touching the gas pedal, restart. A high idle that resets when cycling the engine off and back on repeatedly, points to the tps. One part not easily checked is the idle air control valve in the throttle body and requires specific steps to diagnose an iacv fault.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:27 PM   #6
magician22773

1997 SL
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
It's probably not leaking intake manifold gasket. Other areas for a vacuum leak may be the throttle body gasket if the throttle body is loose and dry rot on the brake vacuum boost hose between intake manifold and brake boost unit. A worn throttle position sensor can be checked; at the next high idle event, pull off the road and shut down the engine. Without touching the gas pedal, restart. A high idle that resets when cycling the engine off and back on repeatedly, points to the tps. One part not easily checked is the idle air control valve in the throttle body and requires specific steps to diagnose an iacv fault.
Finally caught a chance to turn the car off and back on while the idle was high, and I am thinking the TPS may be the issue. Pulled into a gas station, and the idle jumped to around 2k when I put it in park. I immediately shut if off without touching the gas, and restarted. It acted like it was going to high idle again, but only went to about 1100, then settled back to normal (around 700 or so).

It is at least enough to warrant swapping the TPS in my mind.

I did spray around every vacuum line I could find, and nothing. This car is fairly low mileage, and honestly, the hoses look and feel damn near new, so I am kinda putting vacuum leak to the bottom of the list for now.

1994 SC2 Retired
1996 SL "FrankenSaturn"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!