SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #1
Alexkepa12
Alexkepa12 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1
Default Transmission Issues

So, I posted a few days ago about some problem with my 98 SL1's transmission, with a bit of reading I think (not certain, wanted others opinion) the issue is that there is air in the valve body, causing a small amount of pressure into the forward gears. Does anyone possibly know how to test and how to mediate this issue?

Thanks a bunch

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Alexkepa12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Alexkepa12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Alexkepa12 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2017, 07:53 PM   #2
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1
Default Re: Transmission Issues

Went and looked at your previous posts. How do you suppose air got into the valve body? Did you find any instances of this happening?

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(This car is cursed)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-170k currently (jun 2017)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:58 PM   #3
Alexkepa12

1998 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonasan308 View Post
Im not so sure about air in the valve body. The transmission gears are partially exposed when you remove it and i do not recall having to purge air out of anything. I took off the cover, spun the gears a bit to check for wear and put in my new one and put it all back together. Have you had any valve body work done?
I haven't done any work to this transmission other than installing it in Feburary, I did run it low on tranny fluid though, so thats why I thought it might have air somewhere

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Alexkepa12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-30-2017, 09:10 PM   #4
Alexkepa12

1998 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonasan308 View Post
Went and looked at your previous posts. How do you suppose air got into the valve body? Did you find any instances of this happening?
I ran it about 2 quarts low on fluid, and I kinda am assuming that the fluid didn't get into the valve body properly, which would explain the hard shifting, I refilled it and have been looking at it for a while now. and I haven't found anything about this happening

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-31-2017, 10:22 AM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

I went and looked at previous posts, too, and am confused. If you look only at this thread - no one knows what transmission problems you are having.

So, at one point you were thinking manual trans swap. Guess you gave up on that?

Then you had auto trans problems, someone asked for codes. Do you still have any codes? Did you swap out the trans after that thread? Or is this the same tranny?

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=232886
Quote:
I made sure it was the right ATF, Guys at Napa said it would work perfectly.
You know that "guys at NAPA said it would work perfectly" does not mean you have the right AFT? People here are very specific when they ask questions for a reason.

So, if someone asks you, "did you use Part XYZ?" and you say, "I made sure it was the right part, Guys at Napa said it would work perfectly" didn't really answer the question. People will then assume you are using Part XYZ - because you said you have the right part - when you really have Part AAA that everyone knows does not work properly in these cars. I don't think ATF type is relevant to your problems but you may be introducing long term wear issues by using the incorrect ATF

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:42 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

If you want to fix it the simple easy way, put a 5spd in it. Swapped 4 DOHC's to 5spd so far and the only time I regretted it is when I look back thinking I didn't give 1-2 of the auto's a real chance to shin...then threads like this come up and that goes away

The only way air can get in & stay in a "flow" hydraulic system is if either the pump is broken/blocked or there isn't enough fluid. Brake lines are a "push/pull" system, the fluid doesn't circulate so air gets trapped and cause's problems.

Not using legit Dex III (usually labeled as Dextron/Mercron) cause's issue's. The legit IV, V and VI bottles say not for use in the Saturn S-Series because they know it doesn't work right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:48 PM   #7
Alexkepa12

1998 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
If you want to fix it the simple easy way, put a 5spd in it. Swapped 4 DOHC's to 5spd so far and the only time I regretted it is when I look back thinking I didn't give 1-2 of the auto's a real chance to shin...then threads like this come up and that goes away

The only way air can get in & stay in a "flow" hydraulic system is if either the pump is broken/blocked or there isn't enough fluid. Brake lines are a "push/pull" system, the fluid doesn't circulate so air gets trapped and cause's problems.

Not using legit Dex III (usually labeled as Dextron/Mercron) cause's issue's. The legit IV, V and VI bottles say not for use in the Saturn S-Series because they know it doesn't work right.
I would love to put a 5 speed in this, but 1: i aint got the time, 2 aint got the place, and 3 aint got the knowledge or tools.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-31-2017, 08:59 PM   #8
Alexkepa12

1998 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
I went and looked at previous posts, too, and am confused. If you look only at this thread - no one knows what transmission problems you are having.

So, at one point you were thinking manual trans swap. Guess you gave up on that?

Then you had auto trans problems, someone asked for codes. Do you still have any codes? Did you swap out the trans after that thread? Or is this the same tranny?

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=232886
You know that "guys at NAPA said it would work perfectly" does not mean you have the right AFT? People here are very specific when they ask questions for a reason.

So, if someone asks you, "did you use Part XYZ?" and you say, "I made sure it was the right part, Guys at Napa said it would work perfectly" didn't really answer the question. People will then assume you are using Part XYZ - because you said you have the right part - when you really have Part AAA that everyone knows does not work properly in these cars. I don't think ATF type is relevant to your problems but you may be introducing long term wear issues by using the incorrect ATF
This is the stuff I used https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NO_75200?interchange=1 it says on the back "Recommended for vehicles requiring DEXTRON III/MERCON Fluid" I

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2017, 10:35 AM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

That fluid should be fine.

I was commenting more on the general posting - you have spread out your transmission information on three different threads, don't answer the questions that people ask (I know you aren't doing it on purpose; this post is to call it to your attention to try and help you), and it is impossible - even for those who took the trouble to find the other threads - to have a complete picture of what is going on. Which then makes it impossible to provide information to help with your issues.

It's fine that you started another thread about the connector under your passenger seat. That is probably unrelated to your trans

In this thread from February
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=230106
you stated you had transmission problems but then never answered Chazberry's questions about codes.

Then I asked again, and we still don't know about any transmission codes
See the problem here?

In one of the other threads, someone asked if you were using Dex III. Instead of "Yes, I am using Dex III" or
"No, I am using Dexron/Mercon", you answered "I have the right stuff, the NAPA guy said it was right" - didn't really answer the original question.

You said in this thread you installed the transmission in February. Well, your other thread was in February as well. So we don't know if the stuff that applied in your February thread applies to this transmission, or if you installed this transmission in February and the transmission you talked about in your February thread is out of the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexkepa12 View Post
I would love to put a 5 speed in this, but 1: i aint got the time, 2 aint got the place, and 3 aint got the knowledge or tools.
But in your other thread, you said you were thinking about replacing the trans with a manual trans. Then you said you installed this trans in February. That implies you have skills and tools. Perhaps you should have said that you had a shop install a new trans, if that is what happened. We will have different recommendations depending on if you are paying for labor vs doing it yourself.

Your thread about installing a turbo, etc., also implies knowledge and abilities.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-02-2017, 12:35 AM   #10
Alexkepa12

1998 SL1

Quote:
That fluid should be fine.

I was commenting more on the general posting - you have spread out your transmission information on three different threads, don't answer the questions that people ask (I know you aren't doing it on purpose; this post is to call it to your attention to try and help you), and it is impossible - even for those who took the trouble to find the other threads - to have a complete picture of what is going on. Which then makes it impossible to provide information to help with your issues.

It's fine that you started another thread about the connector under your passenger seat. That is probably unrelated to your trans

In this thread from February
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=230106
you stated you had transmission problems but then never answered Chazberry's questions about codes.

Then I asked again, and we still don't know about any transmission codes
See the problem here?

In one of the other threads, someone asked if you were using Dex III. Instead of "Yes, I am using Dex III" or
"No, I am using Dexron/Mercon", you answered "I have the right stuff, the NAPA guy said it was right" - didn't really answer the original question.

You said in this thread you installed the transmission in February. Well, your other thread was in February as well. So we don't know if the stuff that applied in your February thread applies to this transmission, or if you installed this transmission in February and the transmission you talked about in your February thread is out of the picture.

But in your other thread, you said you were thinking about replacing the trans with a manual trans. Then you said you installed this trans in February. That implies you have skills and tools. Perhaps you should have said that you had a shop install a new trans, if that is what happened. We will have different recommendations depending on if you are paying for labor vs doing it yourself.

Your thread about installing a turbo, etc., also implies knowledge and abilities.
Aight, sorry for the scrambled posts, lotta issues, the connector Is completely seperate, For codes, there are none, the service light comes and goes when I start the car. I don't have a ton of experience with transmissions (had my mechanic father help me with the replacement). and working part time doesn't help with tranny replacements, at this point, i want to upgrade to a Dodge pickup, so I want to know if there is a possible (easy/cheap) fix for it, and If I leave it is not going to blow up on me, The tranny I posted about with similar problems, well, Turns out I essentually welded the clutches to the steels. (tranny's ruined) and I replaced that one,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2017, 08:26 AM   #11
alordofchaos

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexkepa12 View Post
Aight, sorry for the scrambled posts, lotta issues, the connector Is completely seperate,
it probably is, but the S-series is extremely sensitive to electrical changes and an aftermarket connector under your passenger seat means someone has been monkeying with the stock stuff.

From the other thread (you replaced the transmission in the thread wth Chazbery so that one is no longer relevant)
Quote:
For codes, there are none, the service light comes and goes when I start the car. . . .my mechanic father help me with the replacement). . . . The tranny I posted about with similar problems, . . . I replaced that one.

So, I recently ran my tranny low on fluid . . . its started to lurch forward when I start, and roll back a bit when I shut it down. it also doesn't roll back in reverse if I let the brake off, but i can get it to go if I press the gas slightly. It rolls forward in neutral, and I can get 15ish miles per hour if I rev it a little in neutral, any ideas on what I broke? and possible inexpensive fixes.

I did notice some whining, almost like straight cut gears. and I've had no trouble from the shifter, I can rev it to redline in neutral it just rolls with some force, not much.
To summarize/clarify (please correct any errors and answer an questions):

You installed a used transmission in February. That took care of the previous transmission problems. You did not check the transmission fluid (ATF) level after installing,

From February until "recently" (last week? three months ago?), the replacement transmission worked fine. When it started showing symptoms, you checked and found the ATF was low.

You added (1 quart? 5 quarts?) of Dexron/Mercon to the correct level (transmission was warmed up by driving, parked on level surface, pulled dipstick, wiped, inserted, then filled so fluid is at halfway up on the cross-hatches on the dipstick?)

Quote:
started to lurch forward when I start
Your description can mean either of the below:

1) When you have the car in PARK, foot on brake, and you start the car - it lurches, even though you are in PARK?

2) When you start the car in PARK, it's fine. You put your foot on the brake, shift from PARK to DRIVE, and the car lurches forward?

When you are finished driving, you put your foot on the brake, shift to PARK, and turn the ignition key to OFF. After you turn the key off, the car rolls backwards (an inch? a few feet?)
(you are parked on a sloped driveway? or flat surface?)

When you put the car in REVERSE (on a flat surface?) and take your foot off the brake, the car does not move but adding a little gas, and it will move normally in reverse.

When the car is in NEUTRAL, foot off the gas, it rolls forward slowly (on a flat surface)

Next, we have contradictory statements:
Quote:
, and I can get 15ish miles per hour if I rev it a little in neutral,. . . I can rev it to redline in neutral it just rolls with some force, not much
Revving it "a little" gets you 15 mph in NEUTRAL, but revving it to redline, you only get "not much force"? You'll need to clarify how much you are revving and how much it moves (use the tach and give an rpm number, instead of "a little," "a lot", etc., and MPH instead of "not much")

I'm not trying to be picky, or pick on you, but giving clear statements about symptoms will help us help you troubleshoot

Note: your computer should be cutting off fuel at 4,000 rpm in NEUTRAL. That's a feature, to prevent engine damage. Redline is, what, 6500?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2017, 10:34 AM   #12
Alexkepa12

1998 SL1

Quote:
it probably is, but the S-series is extremely sensitive to electrical changes and an aftermarket connector under your passenger seat means someone has been monkeying with the stock stuff.

From the other thread (you replaced the transmission in the thread wth Chazbery so that one is no longer relevant) To summarize/clarify (please correct any errors and answer an questions):

You installed a used transmission in February. That took care of the previous transmission problems. You did not check the transmission fluid (ATF) level after installing,

From February until "recently" (last week? three months ago?), the replacement transmission worked fine. When it started showing symptoms, you checked and found the ATF was low.

You added (1 quart? 5 quarts?) of Dexron/Mercon to the correct level (transmission was warmed up by driving, parked on level surface, pulled dipstick, wiped, inserted, then filled so fluid is at halfway up on the cross-hatches on the dipstick?)

Your description can mean either of the below:

1) When you have the car in PARK, foot on brake, and you start the car - it lurches, even though you are in PARK?

2) When you start the car in PARK, it's fine. You put your foot on the brake, shift from PARK to DRIVE, and the car lurches forward?

When you are finished driving, you put your foot on the brake, shift to PARK, and turn the ignition key to OFF. After you turn the key off, the car rolls backwards (an inch? a few feet?)
(you are parked on a sloped driveway? or flat surface?)

When you put the car in REVERSE (on a flat surface?) and take your foot off the brake, the car does not move but adding a little gas, and it will move normally in reverse.

When the car is in NEUTRAL, foot off the gas, it rolls forward slowly (on a flat surface)

Next, we have contradictory statements:
Revving it "a little" gets you 15 mph in NEUTRAL, but revving it to redline, you only get "not much force"? You'll need to clarify how much you are revving and how much it moves (use the tach and give an rpm number, instead of "a little," "a lot", etc., and MPH instead of "not much")

I'm not trying to be picky, or pick on you, but giving clear statements about symptoms will help us help you troubleshoot

Note: your computer should be cutting off fuel at 4,000 rpm in NEUTRAL. That's a feature, to prevent engine damage. Redline is, what, 6500?

So, trying to answer every questions, I added two full quarts of dextron III AFT,
this was most likely low when I installed the replacement, It was a nice pinkish/red color on the dipstick when I was filled, (suggesting not much burning)When I start the car in Park, it lunges forward, and rolls back onto the park lock when I shut it down. approx 3 inches if I had to guess. I normally have the handbrake on when I park (force of habit) When in Reverse, I let off the brake, it moves about 4-7 inches back, then stops, like the brake is on, and I have to use a little gas, like 5-7.5% throttle to move back. In neutral, I can freely rev it to the limiter, (if i hold the brake, it doesn't move much I can feel it try to move, but its super weak) if Im off the brake i can get it to move at about 20mph if I rev and hold about 3k. It has enough power to roll up a small incline, (<10*)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!