SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2017, 01:54 PM   #1
Kylerjohnson
Kylerjohnson is on a distinguished road

Default 1996 saturn sw2 reverse slam when warm

So I have a saturn s series 1996 sw2, and replaced the valve body with a remanufactured one. Although it wasn’t loose, I put threadlocker on the input shaft nut and torqued it to 111 pounds. The problems I am experiencing is that when the car warms up, it starts to slam changing to reverse and also second gear begins to grind/shift hard. When the car is cold there is no hesitation and no reverse slam and no second gear issues. If anyone has any ideas of what may be wrong, or at least reassurance that I won’t cause further harm to the transmission if I continue to drive the car, any help would be appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kylerjohnson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kylerjohnson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kylerjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2017, 07:54 AM   #2
guyg
guyg will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
Default Re: 1996 saturn sw2 reverse slam when warm

The question now is who did you get the valve body from, rebuilds are not create equal and what type of fluid are you using.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guyg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guyg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:31 PM   #3
Kylerjohnson

Let me backtrack by saying that before the valve body switch, it had a reverse slam randomly, but no second gear issues. I bought the valve body off carsaturn.com, where they supposedly do all the sonnax upgrades. The first valve body gave no reverse. And when we put the second valve body they sent me, that was when we messed with the input shaft nut, so either the valve body is bad, or we damaged something when we retightened that nut. Anyways, I plan on storing that car for the winter now, and deal with the problem when spring arrives. My only question at this point is whether or not continuing to drive the car will damage the transmission or the car itself?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Kylerjohnson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2017, 03:42 PM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

Unless you got the valve body for free, if you store the car, and don't address the issue NOW to determine if it were something you did, or it is the valve body has the issue, come next Spring, do you even think the VB seller will consider refunding money, or an exchange at that late date???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:27 PM   #5
Kylerjohnson

That is a good point, I just have my doubts that it is the valve body as it seems unlikely that they sent me two bad valve bodies. Unless they sell bad valve bodies hoping that nobody asks for their money back lol. I have ordered off their site before and the part they sold me worked perfect for my previous saturn. I did contact carsaturn and they told me that I must have damaged something when we messed with the input nut. Anyways, would a bad valve body be the cause of my current transmission problems? If so, I will ask for a refund and see if I can send them the valve body they sent me

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2017, 09:29 PM   #6
Kylerjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyg View Post
The question now is who did you get the valve body from, rebuilds are not create equal and what type of fluid are you using.
Oh and I drained the transmission and added transmission repair fluid and synthetic transmission fluid, whatever kind that is recommended, dexron 3 maybe?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!