SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
aztimm
aztimm is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2002 VUE 3.0L
Default 2003 Vue Drivetrain replacement

Last week I started to hear noises when I was doing tight turns. Someone else I know who has a Vue has some loud noises coming from the steering wheel, I thought it was that. Since my warranty coverage is quickly coming to a close (have about 100 miles left), I took it in this morning (I really debated whether I should bother). I have a 2003 AWD Vue.

The service manager and technician couldn't duplicate the sound, so I rode while the technician drove. He did some tight turns in the parking lot, and I heard it, he said it sounded like the left rear wheel was rubbing something. I went back in to wait, and the service manager came back, said the rear drivetrain needed to be replaced. This is a 5 hour repair. I had to have a car to get to a meeting this afternoon, so they gave me a rental for today (had I not gone in this morning, I would have certainly gone over the mileage today).

Has anyone else had similar issues? Was this luck or what? The reason I heard it in the first place was because of light rail construction near my office, only can go one direction when pulling out onto the street, then do a U-turn to go the other direction. Is there anything else I should be looking for before my warranty is up?

Also, has anyone done any of those extended warranties that get mailed to you? I've received a few notices recently, but haven't followed up. I'm curious if they are cost effective.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aztimm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aztimm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aztimm is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
20VUE06
20VUE06 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2003 Vue Drivetrain replacement

Rear Drive Module...

2004 Vue AWD V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 20VUE06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 20VUE06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
20VUE06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Replacement of the drum assembly in the Rear Drive Module in the 2003 VUE is fairly common. I was told it was because many of these assemblies were improperly stored prior to being installed, and moisture got in. Anyone who has an AWD VUE from 2003 or earlier which has not had the RDM serviced or the fluid changed should have the fluid changed ASAP. There is a service interval on the AWD 'Versatrak' fluid anyway. When going bad, the RDM sounds exactly like a tire rubbing the body when making a full-lock turn with a fully warmed-up VUE. There may be a TSB on the problem, which possibly could get it fixed outside the warranty, but that would have to be verified. Fortunately for me, mine started making noise just before the warranty expired.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
aztimm
aztimm is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2002 VUE 3.0L

Thanks for the info, saxman, I'm glad it started when it did and I took it in today, like I said I have about 100 miles until I hit 36,000 (the 3 years is in a few weeks).

Just curious, about how much would this have cost if I had to pay for it?

I was surprised they gave me a rental car, although it is a Dodge Magnum. I saw a Jeep Liberty, but the guy at the rental place said that would be extra...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aztimm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aztimm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aztimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:20 PM   #5
pisulino
pisulino is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztimm
Thanks for the info, saxman, I'm glad it started when it did and I took it in today, like I said I have about 100 miles until I hit 36,000 (the 3 years is in a few weeks).

I was surprised they gave me a rental car, although it is a Dodge Magnum. I saw a Jeep Liberty, but the guy at the rental place said that would be extra...
Would that be considered part of the tranny warranty, Saturn extended the warranty to 5/75,000.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pisulino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pisulino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pisulino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:48 PM   #6
scotted73
Advanced Member
scotted73 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztimm

It would have cost about $790.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotted73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotted73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scotted73 is offline   Reply With Quote