SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 08:32 PM   #1
mackadocious
mackadocious is on a distinguished road

Dizzy model differences?

Hello. I am going to help my friend out by tuning up his car. He has a 99 four door saturn grape colored with grey bumpers ( front and rear) with around 60k miles. It is a 5-spd. I am planning on upgrading the spark plugs and wires, adding an CAI or WAI ( instead of just changing the air filter), and doing a brake job. I might even throw in the $ 20 front strut bar I saw on ebay.

I was curious about the engine type/ size, and model type/ distinctions. I am unaware of the differences between SL-1, SL2, SW1, SW2, etc. I want to buy the right parts to get the job done, but I don't know much concerning saturns.

Is the only diffference in 99 models DOHC and SOHC on the same 1.9?

Also, is there any recommended spark plugs/ wires you guys are running?

Any imput would be appreciated. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mackadocious's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mackadocious reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2005, 08:36 PM   #2
UnderdogSDA
UnderdogSDA is on a distinguished road

Default Re: model differences?

the STB will fit on all S series saturns pretty much

THe SL1 which it sounds he has should be able to use a DOHC intake

when buying anyparts refer to it as a 99 SL1 with the SOHC motor

hope that helps

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to UnderdogSDA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help UnderdogSDA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:48 PM   #3
mackadocious

Idea Re: model differences?

does anybody have pics downloaded to show the visable differences between the 99 model year engines? I know the cover of his owners manual looks like levi's blue jeans. Does that help clarify his model?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mackadocious reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2005, 09:37 PM   #4
getz999
getz999 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
2001 SC2

if its an s seires sedan, then its an SL....in order to figure out which type of sl he has, you need to look at t he engine and features included on the car. Easiest way to do this is looking at the engine first. IF the engine says TWIN CAM on it, he has an SL2, I'm also fairly sure the engine block will be red and black. IF its just plain silver, then its a single cam, meaning its an SL or SL1. To determine which one it is NOW, look at if it has power sterring, if not then it is most likely the basic SL....SL1 has power steering, cd players, power everything is so on, as does the SL2...but the SL2 has ABS and dual cam.... I BELIEVE..those are the difference that i know of

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to getz999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help getz999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2005, 10:56 PM   #5
Dimundave911
Dimundave911 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
1998 SC1

Easiest way to tell. If the spark plugs are vertical in the center of the head its a DOHC
If the spark plugs are at a 45 degree angle in the front of the head its a SOHC
SOHC VVV

DOHC VVVV

Dave

2002 SC2

"Did you ever Dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dimundave911's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dimundave911 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2005, 12:02 AM   #6
1995 SC2
1995 SC2 is on a distinguished road

Post Re: model differences?

The Number 1 refers to the 8 Valve Motor! The Number 2 refers to the 16 Valve Motor! Any 8 Valve Series Car can be swapped with a 16 Valve Motor! In certain Model Years there may be some need to rework or fabrication to fit properly!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1995 SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1995 SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2005, 12:19 AM   #7
emailer33
emailer33 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

i would recommend a head swap if he wants any sort of power. for my car (93 sl2) the sohc had roughly (trying to remember these numbers) 85 hp, while the dohc had 124hp. low numbers yes, but saturn's were gas savers, and it's amazing the difference two valves make

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emailer33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emailer33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2005, 10:28 PM   #8
mackadocious

Thanks for all of the info guys. the valve cover said EFI/OHC and it is a '99 1.9 sl-1. I am going to do:
the serpinetine belt/
spark plugs/
wires/
o2 sensor ( his is broke)/
intake (since we live in cali preferably C.A.R.B. legal, but these are nothing to swap back to stock air-box, so I might go cheap) , AEM off of E-Bay is C.A.R.B. legal = $140, CP intake C.A.R.B. legal off E-bay = $105 E-bay non-C.A.R.B. = $40/

and he was curious if there is a C.A.R.B. legal header?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-23-2005, 08:49 AM   #9
TheSaturnKid
Master Member
TheSaturnKid is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailer33
i would recommend a head swap if he wants any sort of power. for my car (93 sl2) the sohc had roughly (trying to remember these numbers) 85 hp, while the dohc had 124hp. low numbers yes, but saturn's were gas savers, and it's amazing the difference two valves make
his sohc has 100hp.

and a head swap would be a waste of time, because he would have a low compression ratio without DOHC pistoins.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheSaturnKid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheSaturnKid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread