SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 08:21 AM   #1
KJB
Advanced Member
KJB is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Catalytic converter?

Okay...what the hell is going on with the 2004+ Vue exhaust system!? I'm having duals put in this weekend and the muffler guy said I have two...possibly three mufflers under there. He said the first one (near the front of the Vue) does not look like a converter so he thinks it's a small muffler. The second one could possibly be a resonator (type of muffler) of some sort. Then we have the last one (at the rear), which of course is our muffler. Is he right?

I think I remember someone here saying that we don't have just one catalytic converter on our 3.5 L. motors but instead we have six...one per exhaust port. Is this correct? It just seems like a bit (six cat.'s and three mufflers). The service manager at Saturn said I could do anything I want to the exhaust from the rear of the catalytic converter back and still be under warranty. This must mean I could basically replace just about the ENTIRE exhaust system (not that I would though).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KJB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KJB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2004, 09:14 AM   #2
elvinrodr
elvinrodr is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
1995 SL2

I believe after the flange you have a resonator, then a small muffler, then the big muffler in the rear. As for the converters, they are the big round pieces attached to the heads. There are only 2 of these. Hope this helps and post some pics.

91 SL2M
93 SL2A

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to elvinrodr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help elvinrodr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2004, 09:51 AM   #3
KJB
Advanced Member

WOW... three mufflers crazy! If I don't get the tone/volume I want from the (rear) muffler swap this weekend, I'll mess with removing the smaller muffler and putting in a straight pipe.

I have an appointment to have the duals put in this Saturday but probably won’t be able to post any pics till Monday. I'll be sure to take lots of them though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KJB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KJB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2004, 10:15 AM   #4
slowneo
slowneo is on a distinguished road

If you were happy to save 50 bucks going from one shop to the next.

Why not save even more by not messing with the perfectly good exhaust system at all?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slowneo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slowneo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2004, 11:42 AM   #5
KJB
Advanced Member

Have you been talking to my wife!?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KJB's Reputation
Old 07-14-2004, 12:18 PM   #6
runerx
runerx is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

The cat is part of the downpipe then a resonator then the muffler at the back. My convertor was banging on the flange and needed replaced. New down pipe including cat and O2 sensor then no more noise.

Never let facts stand in the way of a good opinion!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to runerx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help runerx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread