SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 08:17 PM   #1
MtnVUEShadow
MtnVUEShadow is on a distinguished road

Default Master Cylinder

The strangest thing happened to me today....

I had been driving all day. I pulled into a store parking lot and parked. When I came out of the store, I went to start my VUE. The truck lunged forward as I turned the key.

I then noticed that the clutch had absolutely no pressure in it at all. I had to wiggle the VUE out of 1st gear while pumping the clutch pedal.

Needless to say it had to be towed. After the worst towing experience of my life (the driver was lazy, literally HATEFUL, incredibly, unbelievably RUDE, and was driving like a mad man) I arrived at Saturn.

It turns out the master cylinder has gone bad (at 34,000 miles?) and all of the fluid had leaked out.

They had to order the part and it will be in tomorrow. So now my poor truck is all alone in the shop, bleeding, and bruises all over its face and head (hail damage). Hopefully they fix it right up and it's all good again.

They put me in a rental car....a '04 ION. This is the first time I've ever been in an ION. It's rather nice. I like the interior layout and the enormous amount of leg room in the driver's seat. The only problems I see is there is no arm rest in the center console, and the steering wheel just kinda' seems tiny. I feel like I'm going to break it. I also feel sorry for any tall people who have to ride in the back seat behind me, cuz I've got the seat almost all the way back. The center mounted instrument panel is interesting and odd, and takes a bit of getting used to...but I actually don't mind it....it's different.

Anyhow....thank God I've still got some factory warranty left....I'd hate to see the bill for this one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MtnVUEShadow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MtnVUEShadow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2004, 10:09 AM   #2
silver_vue
silver_vue is on a distinguished road

Did the hail damage happen after the tow truck operator picked up the car? If so, then should Saturn be held responsible for fixing that?
My Vue salesman told me the master cylinder supplies fluid for both clutch and brakes. That's a new thing to me. There are more things that could go wrong and drain the master cylinder. But I've changed out master cylinders on other non-Staturn cars in the past. Maybe the parts cost is high, but access to the cylinder should be easy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silver_vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silver_vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2004, 11:34 AM   #3
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally posted by silver_vue
Did the hail damage happen after the tow truck operator picked up the car? If so, then should Saturn be held responsible for fixing that?
My Vue salesman told me the master cylinder supplies fluid for both clutch and brakes. That's a new thing to me. There are more things that could go wrong and drain the master cylinder. But I've changed out master cylinders on other non-Staturn cars in the past. Maybe the parts cost is high, but access to the cylinder should be easy.
The L series and ION are this way. At least on the 2002 and 2003, the VUE uses a seperate reservoir for the clutch master cyl.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2004, 12:56 PM   #4
MtnVUEShadow

I wish the hail damage happened after it was towed. I wouldn't have to pay a dime. I counted the dents....16. Not a good thing but I suppose it could have been much worse.

As far as the master cylinder goes, I'm just confused as to why it would go out at 35k.

The odd thing is I was not as upset as I was surprised. The coke-head tow truck driver was more irritating than the breakdown. This guy was a nutcase and a half. He was yelling at me in anger because I asked him to get moving after he waisted almost 15 additional minutes standing around talking to a co-worker that came to help. He was driving like a mad man the entire way to the dealership.

Haven't heard from the shop yet today so I guess we'll see.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MtnVUEShadow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2004, 03:44 PM   #5
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

I'd report him in a heartbeat.
~D.J.~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2004, 04:45 PM   #6
vue0404
vue0404 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MtnVUEShadow
As far as the master cylinder goes, I'm just confused as to why it would go out at 35k.
Just one of those things. I once had a fuel pump fail on a Mercury after only 3 days and 75 miles. Luckily it was in my garage at the time. It was still very upsetting, but that car stayed in my family for the next 19 years with virtually no problems.

If you ever have clutch problems like that, it is possible to drive the car as long as you don't have much stop-n-go traffic and you're good at matching rpm's when shifting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vue0404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vue0404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2004, 07:14 PM   #7
MtnVUEShadow

Quote:
Originally posted by vue0404
Just one of those things. I once had a fuel pump fail on a Mercury after only 3 days and 75 miles. Luckily it was in my garage at the time. It was still very upsetting, but that car stayed in my family for the next 19 years with virtually no problems.

If you ever have clutch problems like that, it is possible to drive the car as long as you don't have much stop-n-go traffic and you're good at matching rpm's when shifting.
I did attempt to get it moving but it was not going to happen. There was a large puddle of hydrolic fluid under the engine, and the clutch pretty much did nothing. When I depressed it, it had absolutely no pressure at all and I couldn't put it in gear.

I did talk to them today and they told me that they, "Had to order some more parts." and that it wouldn't be ready until tomorrow. An interesting question though......what parts? They originally ordered a new cylinder, clutch assy., and clutch kit. Apparently there was more wrong than just the clutch. Maybe this all ties into that incredibly horrible and elusive rattling coming from the engine compartment on bumpy roads. Maybe after they fix this it will be a rattle-free vehicle again.

By the way, I did report the tow truck driver to his boss. His boss was not too thrilled and said, "I don't think he's going to want to come back to the yard today." I want the dude to get in trouble, but not fired....I never wish anyone get fired....except maybe for the President I'm actually afraid to come across this guy if he does get fired...he might decide to be a vengeful idiot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2004, 09:25 PM   #8
LATEMODELRACING
LATEMODELRACING is on a distinguished road

we are talking about the slave cylinder here correct? i had just on monday heard the same story at work from someone i know who owns a vue!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LATEMODELRACING's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LATEMODELRACING reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2004, 09:43 PM   #9
silvervoo
silvervoo is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally posted by MtnVUEShadow
When I came out of the store, I went to start my VUE. The truck lunged forward as I turned the key.
That is why I always put it in neutral before I start it. You never know what is going to happen....

Sorry to hear about your master cylider failing and the psycho wrecker driver. Hope she returns in excellent condition!

●● If it doesn't have a clutch, I'm not interested ●● Vive la bote manuelle ●●

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silvervoo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silvervoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2004, 12:06 AM   #10
LATEMODELRACING
LATEMODELRACING is on a distinguished road

I always put it in neutral before I start it

always a very good idea !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LATEMODELRACING's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LATEMODELRACING reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2004, 01:47 AM   #11
MtnVUEShadow

Quote:
Originally posted by LATEMODELRACING

I always intend to but rarely actually doing it. I always set the brake before I even shut the engine off....heck, even before I take the seat belt off... around here it's kinda' necessary because no matter where you are, it seems you're parking on a hill.

I'm sure my VUE will come out just fine....I'm just beginning to be slightly worried about it lasting longer than 100k.

I could also look at it this way....they've practically replaced every mechanical part in the vehicle at this point, so it should be good as new.

I had a Plymouth Neon a few years ago that had only some minor quirks...... until the extended warranty ran out at 75,000 miles....the car literally fell apart at that point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2004, 06:36 AM   #12
PK VUE
PK VUE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by LATEMODELRACING

I don't get it, aren't you always in neutral when starting anyways, why would you leave it in gear?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PK VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PK VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2004, 07:59 AM   #13
vue0404

MtnVUEShadow,

From what you're describing, it sounds like the clutch came apart. That's a rare thing to happen at 34k miles. You probably have one of the higher mileage 5spd Vues. I hope this isn't another common problem. Just what I need to hear, more things about the Vue to worry about.

I don't know what those parts ( clutch kit, assy. ) are that they ordered but it does sound like you'll be getting a new clutch. I wonder if the clutch is a GM product?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help vue0404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2004, 11:12 AM   #14
OhioVueBoy
Master Member

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally posted by vue0404
MtnVUEShadow,
From what you're describing, it sounds like the clutch came apart. That's a rare thing to happen at 34k miles. You probably have one of the higher mileage 5spd Vues. I hope this isn't another common problem. Just what I need to hear, more things about the Vue to worry about.
Especially with a 2004, why are you worrying?
At any rate, there are quite a few of us here with higher mileage than that on our FWD4 manuals. I have 36,700 miles on mine, and I know of several other owners with 40+K on theirs.
~D.J.~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2004, 01:18 PM   #15
runerx
runerx is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

A friend has over 60k on his 02 FWD 5sp and has never been in for service other than scheduled maintenance. No worries here.

Never let facts stand in the way of a good opinion!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to runerx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help runerx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2004, 01:36 PM   #16
MtnVUEShadow

Quote:
Originally posted by runerx
A friend has over 60k on his 02 FWD 5sp and has never been in for service other than scheduled maintenance. No worries here.
It seems in the world of cars that it's less common that a vehicle is problem free throughout the first 100k. In those cases I would have to say that the people who own them are very lucky.

I was lucky once too....I had a Nissan Sentra that I pretty much abused the hell out of. After 19k in less than a year and lots of harsh driving, it still ran just as it did when it had 7 miles on it, and was still in top shape. It never had any problem at all.

I think that minor quirks are rather normal in a car and really aren't too big a deal. It's constant major problems that I have an issue with.

All in all, I still love my VUE and probably will until it just simply won't run anymore.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2004, 01:45 PM   #17
runerx
runerx is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Any machine I don't care who makes it is going to experience failures... nature of the beast. I believe that even though some of us put more stress on our vehicles taking care of them is the key to extending both the life of the vehicle and reducing the chances of component failure. I had a nissan truck that had the clutch replaced at 110,000 mi. the new clutch failed at 20,000 mi. when the clutch disc self distructed. Seems to me that this was a total fluke but unfortunately still required a total teardown and replacement none the less. If your worried bout the reliability gamble on the extended warranty if not..... good luck.
Thats the great thing we all have to right to choose.

Never let facts stand in the way of a good opinion!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to runerx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help runerx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2004, 01:53 PM   #18
vue0404

Quote:
Originally posted by OhioVueBoy
Especially with a 2004, why are you worrying?
At any rate, there are quite a few of us here with higher mileage than that on our FWD4 manuals. I have 36,700 miles on mine, and I know of several other owners with 40+K on theirs.
~D.J.~
I guess I'm a little paranoid. Kind of like a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. I get concerned when I read about parts failing prematurely on the same vehicle that I own.

I had a Toyota MR2 that I absolutely abused, most shifts at redline (7500 rpm), alot of high speed cruising. I did that for 25k miles and it still ran the same the day I traded it in as the day I bought it. No rattles or squeaks either. Very impressive for a stiffly sprung 2 seater.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread