SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 08:57 PM   #1
Bar(long a)
Bar(long a) is on a distinguished road

Default Rear disc conversion

Has anyone done the rear drum to disc conversion on their SC2 as detailed in one of the How To articles on our foum?

I'm too lazy to do a search

I'm particularly interested in anything that cropped up necessitating real time engineering mods.

I love my 99SC2's handling, acceleration, looks, etc. BUT, the braking leaves a tad to be desired for a 2600lb ride. I believe rear discs would help immensely.

Thanx in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bar(long a)'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bar(long a) reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2002, 09:36 PM   #2
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Joe Cutrone at www.6thplanetusedparts.com is an authority on this and can sell you the parts you need as well as advise you on the gotchas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2002, 04:31 PM   #3
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Happy Re: Rear disc conversion

Quote:
Originally posted by Bar(long a)
Has anyone done the rear drum to disc conversion on their SC2 as detailed in one of the How To articles on our foum?

I'm too lazy to do a search

I'm particularly interested in anything that cropped up necessitating real time engineering mods.

I love my 99SC2's handling, acceleration, looks, etc. BUT, the braking leaves a tad to be desired for a 2600lb ride. I believe rear discs would help immensely.

Thanx in advance!

i've done two rear discos. one on my old 92 sc and the other on my now 96 sc2. step one: get a chiltons or saturn factory service manuals. (not haynes) step two: remove all the drum crap. step three: bolt on the disc goodies, bleed brakes.
that's about it! the first time took about four hours, the second time about two hours since i knew what to expect. (i used saturn factory service manuals both times)

oh. the tricky part was removing the brake hoses from the brake pipes so i had a saturn tech do it. that way if he broke them he could replace them. i did the rest myself.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2002, 08:04 AM   #4
sc2_94
sc2_94 is on a distinguished road

eric or anyone:
Is there no change that needs to be made to the master cyl. or other area to balance the braking from front to rear or rear to front since the car will now have front and rear disc brakes? Is the master cyl a single cyl unit or seperate for front and rear? If seperate, shouldn't there be something that changes the balance of the system to compensate for the difference between rear drum and rear disc?
I have considered a rear drum to disc conversion but didn't know how many things had to be changed for it to work properly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2_94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2_94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2002, 11:59 AM   #5
krasch
krasch is on a distinguished road

I was wondering about brake proportion, master cylinder size, and emergency brake cables.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to krasch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help krasch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2002, 04:44 PM   #6
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by sc2_94
eric or anyone:
Is there no change that needs to be made to the master cyl. or other area to balance the braking from front to rear or rear to front since the car will now have front and rear disc brakes? Is the master cyl a single cyl unit or seperate for front and rear? If seperate, shouldn't there be something that changes the balance of the system to compensate for the difference between rear drum and rear disc?
I have considered a rear drum to disc conversion but didn't know how many things had to be changed for it to work properly.
no. the master cylinder and proportioning is the same so you don't have to mess with anything forward of the brake hoses. the parts you need to convert from rear drum to disc are:

rotors, calipers, pads, brake hose, parking brake cables, zip ties that hold up the parking brake cables under the car, bolts to attach the calipers to the hubs. re-use the hubs that came with drums. also you will need bleed screws for discs and fluid to bleed them.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-23-2002, 11:15 AM   #7
Abe95SC2
Abe95SC2 is on a distinguished road

http://www2.saturnperformance.com/sa.../drum2disc.asp

Tada! A link!

Abe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Abe95SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Abe95SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-23-2002, 08:04 PM   #8
Bar(long a)
Bar(long a) is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all.

Abe, I do have that printed out. Did it last summer when I bought my 99SC2. I decided Iwait intil I had driven some miles on it before making my decision on whether or not to convert. I think now my decision is affirmative.

This puppy is a great handler in the corners, I believe the conversion will help me immensely with my heel/toe response. I used to race TR-7 at Elkhart Lake in Wisc. with some marginal success. That's where I honed my heel/toe racing.

I plan to get the hardware in a couple of weeks. I'll let ya know how it went.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bar(long a)'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bar(long a) reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread