SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
axslinger
axslinger is on a distinguished road

Default Tranny Question and Splash Guard Question

First, my SW2 has the "Reverse Slam". Here's a little bit of history. I never changed the auto trans. fluid until the car had about 120,000 on it. And even then it was by accident I was changing the oil and pulled off the wrong filter...oops! So, I went ahead and let it drain then put on a new filter and fresh fluid. I should also mention that even when I did change it, it wasn't dirty or burnt. Still had a red color to it.

Now its at 140,000, I have the reverse slam. I have heard people say that if you change the trans. fluid, on older vehicles that can often make things worse, cause slipping etc. What are your thoughts? Leave it, change it, put in an additive?

Second, how difficult is it to change the front wheel splash guards? This was a Michigan car until 3 years ago and both guards got broke up in short order.

Finally, I've never done anything with the coolant. Other than add a bit (very little bit) over the years, its all original. It stays cool while at speed (a little over 1/4 on the guage), but recently I was stuck in traffic and it was up to 3/4 (but not in the red). What are your suggestions on these issues?

Brian

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to axslinger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help axslinger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
axslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Tranny Question and Splash Guard Question

The "change it and it will make things worse" is a MYTH. (Probably started by a transmission repair shop)

Both the "Reverse slam cure" and directions on how to change the transaxle fluid are in the "How To Library" section of the board.

Don't wait too long....if you have not already.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
v3rs3
v3rs3 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default Re: Tranny Question and Splash Guard Question

Sounds like a valve body.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to v3rs3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help v3rs3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
v3rs3 is offline   Reply With Quote