SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 11:52 PM   #1
rotax14
rotax14 is on a distinguished road

Default New Ion design for 2005

anybody else hear that the ion's will be redesigned for 2005?? was at a local jl audio dealer today and supposed part reason no stealth boxes are avail yet is that the car is going to see a redesign. think this is true???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rotax14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rotax14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2003, 12:11 AM   #2
ChrisION
ChrisION is on a distinguished road

It took Saturn 5 years to do the first re-design on the S-Series. Even with the ION's poor sales, I doubt there will be any drastic changes until at least 2006

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChrisION's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChrisION reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-28-2003, 01:04 AM   #3
kilcher
Advanced Member
kilcher is on a distinguished road

I would think we'd see a redesigned L way before a redesigned ION.

And you really should have put a question mark after your thread title.

SixFlagsForum.com
VeggieBoards.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kilcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kilcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-28-2003, 08:48 AM   #4
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

It wouldn't surprise me to see some changes in minor things such as the shape of the lights and some exterior panels but I wouldn't expect anything major. I hope however that any redesign that takes place is not controlled by the people who "refreshed" the front end of the L-series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-28-2003, 03:04 PM   #5
k@zi
k@zi is on a distinguished road

Look at the new Cobalt for 2005. Hopefully the IONs will move the IP to behind the steering wheel location.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to k@zi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help k@zi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-28-2003, 03:24 PM   #6
prosys001
prosys001 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I heard too that the ION was to be redesigned for 2005 but can't find the source now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to prosys001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help prosys001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-28-2003, 04:21 PM   #7
KI8GW
KI8GW is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2004 VUE 2.2L

Now why would you want the IP placed back behind the steering wheel? The current location is the most logical, and safe. I never have to drop my eyes down off the road to see how fast I'm going, fuel status, etc.....

I commend Saturn (and Toyota) for thinking "outside the box"!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KI8GW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KI8GW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-28-2003, 04:33 PM   #8
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L

only people who don't own ION's want the center IP back where they are tradionally. I have test driven 2 ION's to date, and I still prefer the center IP to any car without one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnd00d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnd00d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-28-2003, 07:16 PM   #9
washamur
washamur is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally posted by KI8GW
... I commend Saturn (and Toyota) for thinking "outside the box"!
I couldn't agree more! By far, one of the more dynamic selling points that convinced me the ION was the way to go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to washamur's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help washamur reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-28-2003, 07:23 PM   #10
Spacepope
Spacepope is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan

Agreed agreed. Let's hope Saturn never returns to hydraulic power steering and steering-wheel obstructed instrument clusters.

2008 Acura MDX 109k
2007 Aura XE 80k "Betty"
2003 Silver Blue ION 2, 46k Traded "Manni"
1998 SL 63K RIP "Bewm"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spacepope's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spacepope reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2003, 12:00 AM   #11
PAGuy77
PAGuy77 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Now why would you want the IP placed back behind the steering wheel? The current location is the most logical, and safe. I never have to drop my eyes down off the road to see how fast I'm going, fuel status, etc.....

I commend Saturn (and Toyota) for thinking "outside the box"!
I totally wholeheartedely agree. The IP is one of those cool features that the Ion and Prius/Echo have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PAGuy77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PAGuy77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2003, 12:18 AM   #12
Samasnier
Samasnier is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The IP is one of those cool features that the Ion and Prius/Echo have.
The Mini Cooper too. I love the center IP, that was one of the major selling points for me on the Ion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Samasnier's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Samasnier reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2003, 12:44 AM   #13
fhalden
fhalden is on a distinguished road

Default I beg to differ

I beg to differ. I own an Ion and I have grown to detest the placement of the IP. Especially at night.

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnd00d
only people who don't own ION's want the center IP back where they are tradionally. I have test driven 2 ION's to date, and I still prefer the center IP to any car without one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fhalden's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fhalden reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2003, 12:48 AM   #14
ChrisION
ChrisION is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Samasnier
The Mini Cooper too.
As well as the Quest

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChrisION's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChrisION reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2003, 12:32 PM   #15
Dan Pressly
Dan Pressly is on a distinguished road

my vote is to keep the ip in the center of the dash. I have always had a steering wheel problem blocking part of the gauges with the ip behind the wheel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dan Pressly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dan Pressly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2003, 03:39 PM   #16
Jeff P
Jeff P is on a distinguished road

Put it back! Merits aside, I think it's safe to say they'd be selling more Ions if it had a "regular" interior. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think there are more people turned off by the interior than there are people who bought the Ion specifically because of the interior. I'd bet 90% of Ion buyers woulda bought it anyway even if it had a regular interior. For those who the center IP was a big selling point I ask, what would you have bought instead of the Ion if it had a regular interior?

The only mass market cars with the center IP are the Echo, Quest, and now the Echo-based Scions. The verdict is still out on the Quest and Scions, but we all know how great the Echo has sold for Toyota. This is not a big "trend" in the auto industry like some are making it out to be. For every Ion or Quest that comes out with the center IP, the same company comes out with many models with the regular IP. Quest eh? Altima, Maxima, G35, FX, Murano, Titan, Pathfinder, and Armada all have regular IP. Ion? Saab 9-3, Malibu, Cobalt (same platform as Ion, so much for this being a major feature of the platform), Colorado, Vue, CTS, XLR, SRX, Aveo, all regular.

jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jeff P's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jeff P reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2003, 04:08 PM   #17
csdibiase
csdibiase is on a distinguished road

Default Re: I beg to differ

Quote:
Originally posted by fhalden
I beg to differ. I own an Ion and I have grown to detest the placement of the IP. Especially at night.
The only thing I found a bit difficult to get used to was the lack of light behind the steering wheel at night. Even that was a passing thing, now that I've logged many more hours of night driving. I do think the IP works well in the center, and what I really love is the small steering wheel size. Couldn't have the steering wheel that small if the IP was behind it.

I do have to admit I was aprehensive about it at first though, which means other people will give other small cars a first look before the Ion... and probably buy on of those other cars before they get far enough to buy an Ion. It would be safer for Saturn to go with a more traditional IP location, but then again Saturn's never been about going with the safe way of doing things, but more experimentation and innovation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to csdibiase's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help csdibiase reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2003, 11:03 PM   #18
tcotrel
tcotrel is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Will the redesign look anything like this?

(the 2005 Cobalt)

I don't think we need to worry about Saturns becoming Chevy clones. It seems to be the other way around.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tcotrel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tcotrel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-30-2003, 12:50 AM   #19
BradJK
BradJK is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-2
2001 SL2

Motor week stated last week that Saturn designers were "rushing back to the drawing boards to complete a sooner than expected makeover forced by slower than expected sales."

I feel the Ion is a solid effort and a good vehicle. Especially since the interior makeover for the '04's. Too bad it's being over powered by the flashy styling of some models and perceived higher quality of other competitors.

The only downside to the Ion IMO is the lack of rear seat leg and foot room.
Something that a cosmetic makeover won't fix.

Perhaps a bit more power (2.4L 170hp ecotec). Optional sport suspension package (Close to say the Saab 9-3's). Then the Ion would hopefully compare better against it's more exciting and driver oriented vehicles that seem to be all the rage these days.

oh yeah, keep the center IP. We need to keep distance ourselves from other GM products as much as possible.

Good by SL2, Hello???
Just waiting on the 5 door Astra

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BradJK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BradJK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-30-2003, 01:46 AM   #20
protonixo
protonixo is on a distinguished road

Quote:

to increase the lackluster sales? the way the ion is currently selling, i think they'll probably replace it with a rebadged cobalt..

Quote:
Originally posted by tcotrel
Will the redesign look anything like this?

(the 2005 Cobalt)

I don't think we need to worry about Saturns becoming Chevy clones. It seems to be the other way around.
hmm.. i think it's the other way around...just take a look at the upcoming saturn relay...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to protonixo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help protonixo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread