SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 03-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #1
danf
danf is on a distinguished road

Default New Water Pump/Timing Belt - 90K

My 2001 LW3 had been making some noise for a week or so and since my wife and daughter drive it most of the time, I did not really take much notice.

Then yesterday, a puddle of coolant under the right side of the engine. I put 2 and 2 together and guessed water pump. The service advisor also guessed that, listening to it. I asked if I could save any by replacing the timing belt now also and he added it up and said, around $100 or so. I decided to wait on it but then I got a call and he said the mechanic found a lot of coolant on the belt and strongly advised replacement now.

So I said, go ahead, since it's close. Was this a reasonable finding, on the part of the Saturn service shop? I feel like I bought some peace of mind here but I also wonder if, since I had mentioned doing it together, they just saw an opportunity. . .
danf is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: New Water Pump/Timing Belt - 90K

If they have to go though all the labor of getting to the water pump, you might as well add the belt.

IIRC. They need to be replaced around 90k. Besides some coolant may have gotten on the belt as well.
93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:45 PM   #3
GregS&L
GregS&L is a jewel in the roughGregS&L is a jewel in the roughGregS&L is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1995 SL2

Strongly agree to replace both the water pump and the timing belt. My understanding is once the timing belt is contaminated with antifreeze, the belt will fail soon. Also the recommended replacement interval for the timing belt is 100K miles, so you are almost due anyway.

As an added precaution, suggest you have them check the timing belt tensioner while they're at it. You do not want that to fail - after 90K miles it could be on its way out. Check this link out from a dismayed Cadillac Catera owner (same basic engine as the 3.0L V6 Saturn).
http://www.s10cameo.com/cadillac_catera.htm
GregS&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:59 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Long term exposure to coolant will take out the timing belt. The "rubber" starts to come apart.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Yep, very reasonable. When my waterpump went under warranty Saturn replaced the timing belt due to coolant exposure to the belt and that was on their nickle.
Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
v3rs3
v3rs3 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Every water pump I do I recommend a timing belt, just as every timing belt I do I recommend a water pump. Saves money and time from going in there and doing it all again.
v3rs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:04 PM   #7
beensmoked
beensmoked will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS&L View Post
Strongly agree to replace both the water pump and the timing belt. My understanding is once the timing belt is contaminated with antifreeze, the belt will fail soon. Also the recommended replacement interval for the timing belt is 100K miles, so you are almost due anyway.

As an added precaution, suggest you have them check the timing belt tensioner while they're at it. You do not want that to fail - after 90K miles it could be on its way out. Check this link out from a dismayed Cadillac Catera owner (same basic engine as the 3.0L V6 Saturn).
http://www.s10cameo.com/cadillac_catera.htm

the tensoiner was a problem after 150K miles on the LS2 and L300 2000-2002. They updated it with a new one in the late 2002 models
beensmoked is offline   Reply With Quote