SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 03-08-2009, 01:11 AM   #1
nitroussaturn
nitroussaturn will become famous soon enough

Default just did my timing belt/water pump with PICS!

well at 106,000 miles on the clock i changed my waterpump/and timing belt plus pullys today,i snapped some pics along the way and tried to do a half ass writeup for us 3.5 honda motor guys.unfortunelty my camera wouldnt capture the marks on the sprockets to well,but once you dive in you will see them and its really a no brainer job,our new belt was tight going on with no tension and i noticed one cam slightly moved a lil when prying the belt over it,
but once the pin was removed from the tensioner it moved right back when the slack was removed and it didnt even move a tooth,the 50mm tool is required to hold the crank pully still while getting the 19 mm socket through to loosen the pully,i found the tool on ebay for 25$ shipped,we have good air and air tools here and it wouldnt break the bolt loose we had to use the tool and do it bye hand,also loctite needs to be applied to the idler pully bolt and the center bolt that passes in the middle of the engine brace.
the instructions that came with belt said to remove the plugs to ease spinning the motor,i asked my buddy at the local honda/acura dealership and he said its not necessary,the reason he usally does it cause the 105k service recomends changing the plugs at the same time,my plugs were recently changed so i did not pull them,and i had no problems spinning the motor bye hand.
so here is my pics and crappy write up of the progress,took about 3 hours.
changed the serpentine belt out while it was off.
if this helps you or might help you one day,please add to my rep points!

so first thing is to loosen pass side lugnuts & jack up the pass side,the best spot is the brace running under the radiatior.and put a jack stand under to hold it up in the air. remove the pass side wheel then use a screwdriver to pry off the plastic fastners that hold the splashsheild in,and remove splashsheild.while your underneath look in the pass side of the radiator,you will see a drainpug,use a screwdriver and open up the valve with a catch pan underneath.

next on the list is to remove the factory intake tube and box,then put a peice of wood on a floorjack and support the motor from the pan,then remove the 2 bolts for the pass side top engine mount and the long bolt that runs through the brace,remove the mount,then put a wrench on the serpentine belt tensioner{i think 14mm} and pry tension off of belt and remove serpentine belt

next get out the tool that will hold the crank from spinning while sticking a 19mm socket through the middle to lossen the crank bolt,ITS TIGHT!...once the bolt is removed the crank pully should just pull off easily,no prying should be necessary.stick the bolt back in with the pully off and rotate the crank till the timing marks line up on the crank and cams.i also marked exactly where they were with my own marks.then remove brace that the engine mount connected to.their is one bolt that goes the center of the brace you can use a long extension and get to it straight by using a hole in the inner fenderwell.then remove lower timing cover{10mm bolts}

now you should be to see a mark on the block as well that should be lined up with the crank sprocket,its hard to see in the pic but you will see it,also both cams should be at #1 lines.

now remove the 2 bolts holding the tensioner on,remove it.then remove the 1 bolt going through the tensioner pully assy{upper left pully} and also remove the belt carefully and remove the pully,next unbolt the idler pully{it will be on tight!}remove it,then posistion a catch pan under the waterpump and remove the 5 10mm bolts holding it on,we had to tap the pump loose lightly tapping the pump pully with a rubber mallet.you will loose all antifreeze.

put the new o ring gasket in the new pump and posisiton it on motor using the dowel pins in pump to line it up,bolt it snug do not wrench down on it!no sealent is required.then put some loctite on the idler bolt and install new idler pully,tq to 33 ft lbs.then install new tensioner and pully,now install the belt in a clockwise sequence starting with the tensioner pully,MAKE SURE THE CAM SPROCKET OR CRANK SPROCKET DO NOT MOVE! our belt was a tight fit with no tension on it,so make sure all of your marks are still lined up after the belt is installed!then double check! make sure belt sits in all of the grooves on all sprockets.please keep in mind when my crank was perfectly matched up my cams slightly appeared A LIL off...but no where neer a tooth.as long as it was where it was when you removed it youll be fine! thats why i added my own marks next to the factory ones before remoing the belt.once your convinced youve got it right and double checked the marks,remove the pin in the tensioner assy...to allow tesion to be put on the belt...spin the motor bye hand 1 full revoulution and make sure all marks still line up...if they do your good to go,reinstall lowercover,engine brace,uppertiming covers,engine mount,put tool on crank with pully on and and tq to 65ft lb PLUS 60* of a turn,then reinstall serpentine belt,put drain plug back in radiatior,remove jack from pan,put air filter assy back in,reinstall splash sheild and put wheel back on,fill cooling system with dexcool,if your still nervous you can pull back one of the many access holes on the cover and make sure everything is lined up one last time before you cross your fingers and start your vechile...listen for any weird noises,and let idle adding dexcool/50 water mix till full mark is reached.CONGRATS YOUR DONE!

Last edited by nitroussaturn; 03-08-2009 at 01:22 AM.
nitroussaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2009, 02:56 AM   #2
vue04
vue04 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: just did my timing belt/water pump with PICS!

I have the 2004 Vue V-6. Great posting. Not sure I would do it myself, since 3 hours probably means 8 hours for the weekend mechanic. Great to see all the Honda brand marks
vue04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:42 AM   #3
nitroussaturn

oh and i should add at 106,000 the old belt,tensioner,idler and waterpump bearings were all good,the belt looked fine,only minumum play in bearings when compared to new.but i replaced everything anyway since i had all the parts already and i was their,lol
and if ya cant tell from the pic my crank pulley was rusty i blasted it and painted it before i reinstalled it.

ill be pulling the intake manifold to do a port/polish job on it shortly and ill post pics of the progress
Old 03-08-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Nice job!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroussaturn View Post
oh and i should add at 106,000 the old belt,tensioner,idler and waterpump bearings were all good,the belt looked fine,only minumum play in bearings when compared to new.but i replaced everything anyway since i had all the parts already and i was their,lol
and if ya cant tell from the pic my crank pulley was rusty i blasted it and painted it before i reinstalled it.

ill be pulling the intake manifold to do a port/polish job on it shortly and ill post pics of the progress
I was going to ask, now that you've seen the old belt, did you think it really needed changing, and I see that my suspicions were correct. Still, you basically have to do it on the off chance that it could break and ruin the engine.
'Porting and polishing'...I was wondering how long it would be before the hot-rodder in you came out!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
silversurfer13
silversurfer13 will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L

wow talk about good old days of honda..cant believe they still use the 2 piece crank pulley! mine fell apart after 200,000 miles..but yea its real easy one u put in the pins in the lock the cams
silversurfer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
nitroussaturn

i also should add i got the cloyes kit from rock auto for 220$ another 17$ for the serp belt and 10$ for dexcool.
so it cost me 250$ total saturn dealership wanted over 1200$ for the same job,honda wanted 670$ just for the belt and pump installed no new tensioner or idler wich came with my kit.my local mechanic qouted me 250$ labor after i showed him the kit,but i had a uneasy feeling leaving it their.so im happy with doing it myself,the motor is one of the easiest to work around ive seen in a while,not what im used to,lol
i cant edit the post above but it should say to remove the upper timing belt covers{10mm}after removing the serpintine belt
Old 03-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
VTchemist
VTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L

Top rate job! Excellent Post!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

And again... Great job!

Cleanest 100k mile engine I ever seen...
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
kevo420
kevo420 is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L

Do you have a part number for that crank pulley tool?

and i see on alldata mention of a retaining pin and a retaining bolt for the tensioner. Are these anything special or can anything be subbed in for them?
kevo420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:16 AM   #11
nitroussaturn

that bolt and pin they call out is only used if your reusing the tensioner,too hold the tensioner in place while removing the belt only,the rock auto kit comes with a new tensioner,so just unbolt the tensioner it wont fly off at you or anything,lol ...IMO i wouldnt feel right trusting a 100k tensioner ecspecially when your already their
Old 03-11-2009, 02:19 AM   #12
nitroussaturn

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...motiveQ5fTools
your welcome
Old 03-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nice

2005 VUE 2.2L

Great write up! Maybe sticky this one Mods? Also, looks like you compressor is soaked in freon.
Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #14
nitroussaturn

Happy Re: just did my timing belt/water pump with PICS!

yeah my compressor leaks oil,thats on the neverending list of things to get done too,lol
Old 12-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #15
DieselandCoffee
DieselandCoffee is on a distinguished road

Is there a torque spec for the upper timing cover?

Thanks, justin
DieselandCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:52 PM   #16
texaspride28
texaspride28 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I have the factory book for my 06 and it says to tighten the bolts to 12 Nm or 106 in lb.

ETA: There's a torque spec for EVERYTHING on this car

Last edited by texaspride28; 12-31-2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Add info
texaspride28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #17
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Thanks. I'll probably do mine next year but I've already bought the tool to hold the crank pully so I'm ready. I noticed that you didn't replace the tensor. I know a lot of people do replace it but according to my All-Data info Saturn does not recommend changing it. I suspect people replace the tensor because the GM motors with the spring tensors required change. These Honda motors have hydraulic tensors and probably never need changing.

Thanks again.

-Robert
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #18
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
I noticed that you didn't replace the tensor. I know a lot of people do replace it but according to my All-Data info Saturn does not recommend changing it. I suspect people replace the tensor because the GM motors with the spring tensors required change. These Honda motors have hydraulic tensors and probably never need changing.
I'm looking at the RockAuto kits and it seems there are 2 tensioners (1 spring and 1 hydraulic?). Apparently the hydraulic one goes for about $100. Maybe the hydraulic type are less prone to lose tension, but what about pulley bearing failure? I changed everything on my L81, and for the cost of the Honda kit ($209) incl. belt, both tensioners, idler and water pump, I think for peace of mind, I'd go the whole 9 yards.
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #19
AsbergerCowboy
AsbergerCowboy is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroussaturn View Post
[.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-
your welcome
Would that be part# 4731? I'm trying to make sure that I get the right tool.
AsbergerCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:44 PM   #20
silvervu
silvervu is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
1998 SW2

I am definately a weekend mech warrior,removed everything and all looks like it could easily go another 100k,take note i am changing for the first time and car has 145k on it,,lol.Well going to try to get it back together using the genious who took the time to post with pic's.Thank you,thank you ,thank you.
silvervu
silvervu is offline   Reply With Quote