SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
dbetz
dbetz will become famous soon enoughdbetz will become famous soon enough

1999 SW2
2000 SL
Default Engine Noise w/ video

Am in the process of looking for a car for my son, and stumbled across this one on craigslist:

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/2791007074.html

1997 Saturn SW2 Needs engine work - $700

Thought I might get lucky and have a simple "engine noise" like a tensioner. But no.

Here's the video (if I uplinked it correctly)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5RsY...ature=youtu.be

The valve cover leaks. The oil was full/overfull, but black. Coolant was low, but visible in the reservoir (about an inch low). No chocolate milk that I could see. Seller noticed the noise (small) on the way to work, but got loud by the time came home. Parked it since then, not wanting to damage further (No plate on it, so I think is true). Started up once fine. Then shut down to check a couple things. When restarted to video it, it had trouble turning over, but that could be from a low battery because it hasn't been running on the street. The white smoke billowing . . . I have no idea. Thought I'd catch it as important. Didn't smoke the first time. Smoke didn't smell, if that matters. Didn't smell at all - not just didn't smell like oil or coolant

The car body/interior is very clean (no tears, only a couple small stains). Rust on passenger rear sill - no holes but not surface rust. Slight rust on hood. No fender cracks, etc. So I'm thinking it might be worth getting into the engine, even as a project. But would like to know what I am getting into first.

Thanks! David

1999 SW2 Auto 150k miles; Dark Plum Metallic
2000 SL 5-Speed 214k miles; Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dbetz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dbetz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dbetz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Engine Noise w/ video

That sounds quite a lot like when I had power steering pump bolts back out & attack the pulley. Eventually got to where they'd stall the engine, and I didn't figure it out until the PS pump was literally the only thing holding the engine in the car

The white smoke I'd say is just 'cause its snowing (cold) out and they do that, though there may be an exhaust leak if it's coming from under the car.

Noise could also be the water pump, which would also explain the low coolant.

If you've bought it then take the valve cover off to check the timing chain, I don't think it's that but it's best to be sure. If there's oil in the spark plug wells then it needs a VCG anyway.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enoughblue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

Rod bearings

92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
spacemanspif
Advanced Member
spacemanspif will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Pull the belt and start the car again using a fully charged donor battery from a different vehicle since the alternator won't be turning. If its something in the accessories the engine won't make the noise. Then pull the valve cover and check the timing belt and cams for anything not normal. My vote is the major bearings failure too...rods or mains. Not sure if you can check them by dropping the oil pan but I think that engine needs to be rebuilt/replaced.

-Mike

1995 SL2 5spd - Stock/MP2 trans swap - 258,XXX miles - 38mpg @ 65mph
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.92@103mph - 19mpg @65mph - needs POSI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spacemanspif's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spacemanspif reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spacemanspif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enoughblue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspif View Post
Then pull the valve cover and check the timing belt
Really? I'm going to give you the benefit of doubt on this, and say your hands typed 'belt', when your brain was thinking 'chain'.

92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
dbetz
dbetz will become famous soon enoughdbetz will become famous soon enough

1999 SW2
2000 SL

Thanks guys!

Now I have some perspective on what I am looking at. It has the potential of being a good project car for me and my son. Body/Structure/Interior seems in really good shape, and I will have a chance to rebuild the engine without it being my primary. He and I can both learn.

Only problem is that it is an Auto, and I wanted a manual so he can learn to drive one (he's "thrilled" now, but I guarantee he'll love it once he learns). But you can't have everything, I guess. Maybe I'll find one for him eventually. Sure, I could swap, but a little more than I want to bite off for now. Rebuild the engine first, maybe tear into the tranny second to get auto experience.

Thanks again for the time!

Thanks! David

1999 SW2 Auto 150k miles; Dark Plum Metallic
2000 SL 5-Speed 214k miles; Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dbetz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dbetz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dbetz is offline   Reply With Quote